Montana General Tags and Alternate List

TheCougar

WKR
Please correct me if any of this is wrong:
- “Surplus” MT elk combo licenses can be picked up online on 6 May. Not sure what a surplus license is, but I’m assuming it’s just a returned elk combo.
- Failing that, you can get added to the “alternate list”, which starts mid-July.
- Deer combo and big game combo licenses have an alternate list only.

For those who have attempted to pick up one of these surplus licenses, are there a statistically relevant number of available licenses, how quickly do they sell out, do you have any techniques to get through in the website, etc? Anyone know any hackers? PM me if you have any tips that might be helpful picking up a surplus license. Appreciate any insights on how to turn around my crap year at getting a tag. Cheers

sneaky

"DADDY"
Are you dead set on Montana? Idaho is OTC as well. Way less headache getting a tag, and substantially cheaper.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
This is coming from someone who has hunted both states.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
This is coming from someone who has hunted both states.

I’ve got a buddy that has Montana connections that make it worth the effort to try and get a tag (both elk and deer). If I end up in Idaho, I’m going in blind, picking up whatever NR OTC tags that haven’t sold out yet.

Correct, on May 6th the only surplus licenses that will go on sale is general elk only. If you want the big game combo or deer only, will have to wait for the alternate list. I have pulled off the alternate list every year i've put my name on, but Montana is getting harder to draw so imagine less people will be returning licenses.

As far as getting just elk off alternate list, not sure there will be any (or very few) available since they are doing the May 6th posting, not to say some won't be return late and possibly available, but I seem to remember last year the only options were deer or big game combo when I signed up for list.

You will want to make sure and get on at 5AM MD, I imagine they will sell fast. As far as amount of licenses, I don't think there is anyway to find out, could try to call and ask. I know 3-4 years ago there would be well over 1,000 left over, but last year do not think there was a surplus sale in May, just alternate list, but I could be wrong on that and just missed the announcement.

Last edited:
OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Correct, on May 6th the only surplus licenses that will go on sale is general elk only. If you want the big game combo or deer only, will have to wait for the alternate list. I have pulled off the alternate list every year i've put my name on, but Montana is getting harder to draw so imagine less people will be returning licenses.

As far as getting just elk off alternate list, not sure there will be any (or very few) available since they are doing the May 6th posting, not to say some won't be return late and possibly available, but I seem to remember last year the only options were deer or big game combo when I signed up for list.

You will want to make sure and get on at 5AM MD, I imagine they will sell fast. As far as amount of licenses, I don't think there is anyway to find out, could try to call and ask. I know 3-4 years ago there would be well over 1,000 left over, but last year do not think there was a surplus sale in May, just alternate list, but I could be wrong on that and just missed the announcement.

Thank you for the help!

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
192b8660ec15a027edc807f9e4d46a35.jpg

Winning!!!!

My hunting partner was unsuccessful. He submitted for payment twice, and the server crashed both times. He didn’t get an email, but his credit card shows a pending charge. Hopefully he got one, but I doubt it. They had 394 tags available and they were sold out in 15 minutes. We had 4 computers going and still weren’t able to get him through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crashed or gave me an error every time. I’ve got a pending charge on my card. Logged in at 700

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Crashed or gave me an error every time. I’ve got a pending charge on my card. Logged in at 700

Let me know how that works out for you. My buddy is in the exact same boat. He didn’t get en email receipt, which is a bad sign.

Same here. I got an internal error page. And my available balance is the proper amount low. Took a screen shot and tried again and got a deadlock error page. Fingers crossed that the system just got too bogged to keep up with emails hahaha. This isn’t flowing my fall down any but it would’ve been a nice little extra if it had / does go.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Same here. I got an internal error page. And my available balance is the proper amount low. Took a screen shot and tried again and got a deadlock error page. Fingers crossed that the system just got too bogged to keep up with emails hahaha. This isn’t flowing my fall down any but it would’ve been a nice little extra if it had / does go.

Can you see your license on your “myfwp” page? I can. My buddy is going to sign up for the account and see if his shows up.

it ain’t there. That’s the first thing I looked at before I tried my email. I hope the governor calls me this afternoon to apologize for the confusion and offer me an additional tag of
My choice by way of making amends for the inconvenience

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
it ain’t there. That’s the first thing I looked at before I tried my email. I hope the governor calls me this afternoon to apologize for the confusion and offer me an additional tag of
My choice by way of making amends for the inconvenience

Recommend calling them. My buddy spent an hour on hold as was told by CS rep that he was successful.

Same here. But was told I wasn’t. 43 minutes on hold 3 minutes oh the phone. Andrea was nice- and let me know the money would show back up next few days.

I’ll be honest it’s my own fault. I got all jacked up with elk tag fever and had a typo in my card number my first time opportunity and it cost me. By the time I had caught back up with them the jig was up. But I guess I’d consider it a success all the way around otherwise. I was so close that the money was spent. I’m defintely trying to by a leftover in Montana again next year. Thrill a minute. Way better than putting in for points- I can’t atay awake for the points game.

I’m getting pumped about Wyoming leftovers too. Nothing like trying to buy a leftover tag to get that blood pumping

Last edited: