More rude and aggressive members

AKDoc

WKR
There is one basic reality check (fact) that I always keep in mind every single day:

Reality check #1: We/us human beings are an extremely diverse species...we are capable of great good and beauty, yet also extreme ugliness. There are numerous examples of the extreme diversity of our species which we each see every single day of our existence...it IS a reality, has been and always will be...and it's bigger than just Rokslide.

Additionally, every time that I choose to share here on Rokslide, there is an additional reality check that I also keep in mind:

Reality check #2: Whenever I share a hunting experience on a venue such as here, I also always keep in mind that I am choosing to do so, and there are pros/cons to that choice. The pros are numerous which is why I choose to do so, e.g., there are LOTS of good people here that are representative of the vast majority of the membership, I sincerely try to be helpful to others and it's appreciated, etc. The major con for me is that I keep in mind that by sharing in a venue such as this I might also be choosing to share my experiences with a few folks that I would just typically ignore and wish them the best, e.g., the drunk guy down at the end of the bar who is talking way too loud, dropping the f'bomb, and treating others around him rudely and disrespectfully, the A-hole who just cut me off in traffic and gave me the finger as he sped past me, etc. Those ARE realities of my choice to participate...it's just the way it is.

I'm a member of only this forum and one other hunting forum...that's it. I've never even been on facebook!

Thank you, thank you Rokslide Moderators...hats off to you.

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Make everyone use their real name. You will see most of it stop once people need to tie their identity to their comments. Everyone is tough standing behind the proverbial fence (username).

I've noticed recently that some of the crowd that has made the Alaska Outdoor Forum unbearable and basically silent have now decided to migrate here to ruin threads.
Feel free to PM me their names. We’ll make sure they don’t last long.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I was a part of the problem, posting rude comments for my own entertainment and degrading the quality of the site. The Mods brought it to my attention and I realized that I wasn't contributing in a positive manner. I have plenty of incredibly strong opinions on a variety of subjects and I just need to keep most of them to myself.
You’re a gem. Do you have any friends who want to join?

I’ve learned (and been called out myself) that it’s easy to come across like a donkey’s south end and be condescending, even unintientionally.

I’ve seen quite a few members on here get warned and then they drop the attitude. Tells me they (and me) just didn’t realize how they were coming across. Happy to keep those guys around.

For most of us, if we just interact with people on here like we would in person, many of these problems go away.

For the rest, we ban them.

and be careful with smart Alec remarks. Coming from a smart alec myself, I’ve learned it doesn’t work in most threads, so best to leave it out. (The guy I banned last night was just being a smart alec, but he wouldn’t let up, he wasted my time and digital space, so he’s gone)

I want Rokslide to be around for a long time…

Thanks to all who feel the same.

Make everyone use their real name. You will see most of it stop once people need to tie their identity to their comments. Everyone is tough standing behind the proverbial fence (username).

I've noticed recently that some of the crowd that has made the Alaska Outdoor Forum unbearable and basically silent have now decided to migrate here to ruin threads.

agree in names, but look at Facebook. Still gets crazy on there.
If you feel the need to be a wise ass do it with a :) so we know your kidding
thats actually a good point. I imagine us all in a truck a deer camp crackin jokes. Problem here is we cant see your gestures face etc so it can go sideways quick.

You are probably right. Tires are fixed I got 10plys now!!😂😂
I remember your tire post; my first thought was yeah I would be pissed as well - when you order something as the customer you should get what you want, if they cant provide it say so and I will go elsewhere.

Then you came under attack, " oh its not your truck anyway", "It must be your dads truck", and finally a lecture on tire ratings etc. I thought WTH the guy has a straight up legit complaint and is being raked over the coals. I stopped following your thread and soon it was locked.

I never understood how people think its right to attack folks for no reason - those same folks wouldnt dare call anyone out to their face. There is enough division in this country we don't need to fight amongst ourselves.

Marble

WKR
I frequently type out a response that is fairly scathing to someone for being a jack wagon. I normally just erase it and move on. Helps me feel better.

I appreciate how the mods keep things going here. Keep it going with positive vibe!

The emoji suggestion is a good one for those of us poking fun at eachother.

A thumbs down button would also be fun, but may be more of a provoking tool and doesn't really take the threads in a great direction. Seems a lack of response is the message needed to be said most of the time.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I remember your tire post; my first thought was yeah I would be pissed as well - when you order something as the customer you should get what you want, if they cant provide it say so and I will go elsewhere.

Then you came under attack, " oh its not your truck anyway", "It must be your dads truck", and finally a lecture on tire ratings etc. I thought WTH the guy has a straight up legit complaint and is being raked over the coals. I stopped following your thread and soon it was locked.

I never understood how people think its right to attack folks for no reason - those same folks wouldnt dare call anyone out to their face. There is enough division in this country we don't need to fight amongst ourselves.

We agreed. Several of those responses were completely off track

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broomd

WKR

People are stressed out, that's likely the reason.
And +1 William, the 24hourcampfire has also devolved into a complete hellhole.

The same creeps there dominate every discussion, usually ridiculing those who are posting about a loved one lost to the virus, and/or getting the covid shot.
The pandemic differences have made that specific 'Campfire' forum almost intolerable.
For men that claim to advocate for personal freedom and liberty the scorn for those who have chosen the path of vaccination is absolutely unrelenting, and the moderators are completely aloof. I know and like Rick Bin, but it's a joke.

It's easy to be thankful for the overall civility of the many members at the 'slide these days. And appreciate those who moderate here, too. They do a great job.

Rob5589

WKR
You’re a gem. Do you have any friends who want to join?

I’ve learned (and been called out myself) that it’s easy to come across like a donkey’s south end and be condescending, even unintientionally.

I’ve seen quite a few members on here get warned and then they drop the attitude. Tells me they (and me) just didn’t realize how they were coming across. Happy to keep those guys around.

For most of us, if we just interact with people on here like we would in person, many of these problems go away.

For the rest, we ban them.

and be careful with smart Alec remarks. Coming from a smart alec myself, I’ve learned it doesn’t work in most threads, so best to leave it out. (The guy I banned last night was just being a smart alec, but he wouldn’t let up, he wasted my time and digital space, so he’s gone)

I want Rokslide to be around for a long time…

Thanks to all who feel the same.
It's actually, smart aleck, with a k. 😁

rclouse79

WKR
I enjoy a certain level of snarkiness as long as it is in good fun. The people who are not funny and just mean suck.

Its not just here. Its everywhere. The other day I was at a gas station, guy filling up next to me had a deer in the back. I said hey nice buck, where'd you get that one. He said GFYS.
You must have missed the thread about hunters being asked where they got that one.