Most reliable ATV?

OP
J
Looks like it’s gonna be a Honda.

Gotta wait to close on this house then I’m gonna go try to wheel and deal. What’s the skinny on pricing - is it pretty fixed or can you negotiate?

Brooks

WKR
Honda !! I bought a Honda Foreman new in 2003 it has 3900 miles on it and runs as good as it did in 03 . I wish everything was as reliable as a Honda ATV.

IMO Honda Rincon is the best you can buy with direct front and rear driveshafts and actual mehcanical gearing instead of belt driven which sucks.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I honestly wouldn’t even look at anything other than a Honda, they just work.

polaris and skidoo (can am) make great snow machines but for 4 wheelers, there’s a reason in Alaska no matter who makes them it’s called a Honda.

Agross

WKR
I had an older Yamaha, terra pro . Really liked that little machine. Recently upgraded to a Yamaha grizzly 700. Huge step up . When I was upgrading , Honda and Yamaha were the only two I looked at.

Jet4

FNG
My Dad has 4 different Yamaha's up on his property from the early 2000 era. He is not good at maintaining them either. They all still run great. Very reliable.
Look at the older ones that are air cooled

PhlyanPan

FNG
Avoid Polaris like they're covered in COVID.

My family has always had good luck with Yamahas but Hondas are good too.

Fisherhahn

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of folks say to avoid Polaris, but I love mine. Use it all year in every condition imaginable and have never had an issue. I slap a plow on every winter to clear my driveway and all the surrounding sidewalks. Ice fishing, trail riding, off road no trail riding, mud...go everywhere and do everything that anyone else does.

Phaseolus

WKR
My Wife and I both have Yamaha Grizzly 550’s With power steering. My grizzly replaces a 2004 Yamaha Big Bear 400 as my primary ride, I still have it as a loaner and it has over 10,000 miles on it with no real problems. My Father in law has a Honda Rincon and a Rancher both with power steering and independent rear suspension. We put a couple of thousand miles on each year in western Colorado’s Rockies. Both makes are great, here is my take, The Yamaha’s are noisier but have better ground clearance and a softer ride. The Honda’s are nice for putting through the woods looking for critters because they are quieter. You can’t go wrong with either.

BuckHunter24

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like it’s gonna be a Honda.

Gotta wait to close on this house then I’m gonna go try to wheel and deal. What’s the skinny on pricing - is it pretty fixed or can you negotiate?

I shoppwd around a lot, there was a 3k range in price for the same machine between the local shops. I believe the sticker price on my 2019 rancher 420 was $5,800, after taxes, licensing, ramp and interest on partial finance I will end up having paid $8,600. Thats on the basic model, foot shift etc.

EastMT

WKR
From my experience the less options the better. Plain Honda 500 solid axle will outlast most, if not all. That being said I drive Polaris, as I’m 6’5” and I like a machine I can stand up on and feel comfortable, the tall handlebars just fit right. I have lower back disc issues so the ride and comfort is more vital to me. That being said the only Polaris I’ve had in the shop was a bent straight axle on an 1999 scrambler due to whiskey throttle and good decisions haha.

It’s like Toyota Tacoma, man are they awesome. But my head rubs the ceiling and I can’t see road signs with the view from where my eyes set unless I lean the seat way back and G-ride. Sometimes the “best” isn’t always the best for everyone, but the most dependable is pretty hard to argue if that’s the only concern

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
From my experience the less options the better. Plain Honda 500 solid axle will outlast most, if not all. That being said I drive Polaris, as I’m 6’5” and I like a machine I can stand up on and feel comfortable, the tall handlebars just fit right. I have lower back disc issues so the ride and comfort is more vital to me. That being said the only Polaris I’ve had in the shop was a bent straight axle on an 1999 scrambler due to whiskey throttle and good decisions haha.

It’s like Toyota Tacoma, man are they awesome. But my head rubs the ceiling and I can’t see road signs with the view from where my eyes set unless I lean the seat way back and G-ride. Sometimes the “best” isn’t always the best for everyone, but the most dependable is pretty hard to argue if that’s the only concern

I was going to make this same analogy. Honda ATVs and Toyota trucks are both too small for me, but I own both because I am a cheap joyless reliability chaser. If work is providing the ride and the repairs I'm happiest in a Ford or on a big old Polaris.

OP
J
I was going to make this same analogy. Honda ATVs and Toyota trucks are both too small for me, but I own both because I am a cheap joyless reliability chaser. If work is providing the ride and the repairs I'm happiest in a Ford or on a big old Polaris.
“Joyless reliability chaser” definitely describes me. I’d sooner have something bulletproof that rides like a tank vs. some smooth riding machine that has to see the shop once a year

Spike elk

WKR
Still running my 2007 Suzuki 400 Eiger with a manual transmission. No belts or bells and whistles. It has been ultra reliable for me.

Rich M

WKR
Honda

I like the Honda and Toyota reference above. If you want to use the item and not worry about it, those are the two to go with. Reliability on both is excellent.