Mountain Bikes

Lukem

WKR
you get what you pay for. An 800 bike will have crappy everything that needs replaced. a couple of grand will get you a great hardtail with components that work, ie brakes that stop and shifting that shifts. if getting a full suspension, you want to be in the 3500 range.

yes, i like bikes that work and don't brake down on me when i am in the bush.
Components are a tricky thing. Pricier ones are generally quicker, quieter and lighter, but they aren't always more durable, there are tradeoffs on that broad spectrum. That and the high end ones always cost more to replace when they do break. Definitely don't go bargain basement, but top of the line isn't necessary either, there's a lot to be had in that middle ground. Bikes in that $1000-1500 range are spec'd pretty good anymore for the average rider.

Krem

FNG
Awesome thread! I'm a life long cyclist, worked in the industry for 10+ years but have slowly been switching my passion to hunting in the last couple years. If anyone on here makes it to Bentonville AR happy to show some of the best trails in North America

CoStick

WKR
Components are a tricky thing. Pricier ones are generally quicker, quieter and lighter, but they aren't always more durable, there are tradeoffs on that broad spectrum. That and the high end ones always cost more to replace when they do break. Definitely don't go bargain basement, but top of the line isn't necessary either, there's a lot to be had in that middle ground. Bikes in that $1000-1500 range are spec'd pretty good anymore for the average rider.
I think what you run into is constantly needing to tune them. I ride 3-5 days a week and have XT on one bike, 105 on the road, and X01 on another and really only have to tune things up annually. Even with crashes, the higher end stays good. My first mountain bike was decent spec‘d and durable but needed adjustments constantly.

KRATOCT

FNG
It’s crazy how much bike costs have skyrocketed. I know everything has with inflation and demand but I remember when I rode a lot I got into a Giant with Deore components and disc brakes for $420 and a Trek with shimano disc brakes rock shox and XT components for $600 both brand new. Now to get into something with those components you’re in the $2000-3000 range. Not that something less wouldn’t suffice but I still find it unbelievable

DESERT ED

FNG
It’s crazy how much bike costs have skyrocketed. I know everything has with inflation and demand but I remember when I rode a lot I got into a Giant with Deore components and disc brakes for $420 and a Trek with shimano disc brakes rock shox and XT components for $600 both brand new. Now to get into something with those components you’re in the $2000-3000 range. Not that something less wouldn’t suffice but I still find it unbelievable
Upper level Specialized are $12k. Bonkers