Tall Harley riders

Dunndm

WKR
Hey everyone,

I recently got a dual sport motorcycle and and now extremely hooked on riding in general. I’ve done 120+ mile rides on my bike but it’s just not comfortable after about 40 miles. I love the bike a lot, but want to extended my riding options to 150+ mile rides and not have a sore ass, back and knees by the time I get to where I want to go. That being said, I’m 6’7, 240 ish and am looking for a bike that can do longer rides, keep up with the flow of traffic and isn’t an extreme money burden. So far I’ve sat on a couple bikes and ridden a couple buddies. The heritage, road king and the glide bikes all in general.

I’m just curious if there is any other bikes out there I should look at? I plan to use the bike for long trips, but a lot of just cruising around town 20 mile trips, give or take. I’m stuck between a rock and hard place because I want a bike that’s great for long trips, but also not a clunky big bike that’s a lot to go around town with. Anyone have any suggestions? I’m open to any and everything.

Thank you in advance for any pointers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigeyedfish

Lil-Rokslider
Are you dead set on a cruiser? The bigger ADV bikes would probably be a lot more comfortable for you. I don't have many miles on cruisers, but in my limited experience, the low seat height forced my hip to flex more than it wants to, and you are way taller than me.

BMW GS, Harley Panamerica, KTM 1290, etc.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Are you dead set on a cruiser? The bigger ADV bikes would probably be a lot more comfortable for you. I don't have many miles on cruisers, but in my limited experience, the low seat height forced my hip to flex more than it wants to, and you are way taller than me.

BMW GS, Harley Panamerica, KTM 1290, etc.

I’m not really dead set on any “type” of bike. I just want something that’s comfortable, easy enough around town but can do long road rides

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Those are good bikes, but they are still just a dirt bike.

No personal experience. But theres a reason the vstroms, ktm's an triumph's are popular.

Have one customer thats a big SOB lol. Wouldnt shut up about his KLR then he rode one of the ktm 1290 adventure's. That KLR was for sale before he even got home. Now he wont shut up about the ktm lol

Yeah I was between the Ktm and drz it was just way more expensive. The local bike shop by me was having a huge sale on the drz so I went with that. Now I want more of a cruise around town type bike

LoggerDan

WKR
A road king with different mult position pegs and tilting floorboards a different seat and the right bars is a touring sonuvagun. And it still doesn’t look like a geezer glide

summs

Lil-Rokslider
I would go full bagger, the weight and the motor size makes a smooth ride, I had floor boards and not pegs, hell even a back rest on both seats. 5.5 gallon tank, didnt have to fill up every 100 miles. I actually had an issue when slow speed turning at full lock my knee would be in the way. I used to ride a kawasaki vulcan 1600, would cruise at 80 and could be at 110 in a crack of the throttle. Bike was ugly, but had some smooth power. My brother with a 1200 sportster had a hard time with the highway. Bike was high in the tach and wasn't much left in the bike if need be and cross wind or passing cars made it move.

And at 6'8" I share your uncomfort. Best riding bike was a victory cross country. To bad they stopped making them in 2017. Eventually i'll find a deal on one.

If your looking to drive highways and paved backroads, cruiser with hard bags is hard to beat. I never owned a front fairing bike, but it's so nice to have one. The vulcan 1700 would get a test drive if I was looking today. Not the biggest fan of harley, easy to find parts and customize, but i've had great reliability on my Kawasaki.

moxford

Lil-Rokslider
Rode a full fairing 2000 Electraglide Classic for a few trips. Was super nice, no issues with comfort going from CA to Sturgis, riding around there, and then home (multi-day trip.) Can do 6-8 hours a day no problem, feeling good when I get there. Highway pegs help for sure. I second the feeling of being pinched a bit while turning.

6'6 250 for reference.

I will be buying a big ADV shortly, probably the GS. Harleys/cruisers just feel super short and a bit cramped to me, but for lots of highway miles they are very hard to beat.

Cheers,
-mox

jimh406

WKR
The seat can also make a difference. The Tall Boy seat is about two inches higher and about two inches back. A good dealer will probably have no issues putting one on a bike to see what you think. They are simple to "install". Some think they are "ugly". I don't personally mind them and besides, I don't see the seat when I'm riding.

Similarly, there are low profile really good looking seats that lose all of the legroom/arm reach.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
I mean I do care about how the bike looks obviously… but I’m about comfort and how well it rides before I’m going to scoff about how it looks

Bailer

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with the adventure bike post. The tall seat and resulting leg room are a big comfort advantage even to average height riders. They’re excellent for touring, fairly quick on a twisty road and can still handle light to moderate dirt. I’m on an Africa Twin just because they’re so cheap used, and very reliable. Many of the other bikes in the class perform better.

Tenere 700 rider here.

It’s a taller twin ADV bike, stock seat is a little taller than a drz400. If you put a rally high seat on it and some bar risers it will have a 36’ + saddle and should fit longer arms.

It does everything. Watch pol tarres just rip a modified one up, he does the Dakar and erzerbergrodeo on this same bike. I’d guess he’s 6’4 or so I’ve seen him standing next to other MX guys and he’s a unit.

us mere mortals will never do anything close to that, but it will cruise @ 85 across continents and you can ride single track.

other ADV mentions
Husky Norden 901
Honda Africa twin 1100
Duc multi stranda enduro

these Are heavier and have a lot of tech. The tenere 700 is easy to ride low tech ( nothing breaks or gremlins )

The only concern is power to your weight ratio.
If you want to be sure get a beemer GS 1250 with a high seat and you’ll be set.

Post here if you get a new bike I’d like to see it

Backyard

WKR
I would suggest an Ultra. The touring bikes are set up for taller guys more so than the Street and Roadglides. Then put the tourpack on a docking system so that when you aren’t touring, you can take it off easily and put a sissy bar and pad on. I’ve done this on my 18 Ultra, and last 3 different tourglides, and like the set up. We put on about 10-15k/yr.
Or you need to find a 100hp Vespa for ease of around town with pickup for the highway. JK

Buying a Harley is a commitment to a lifestyle change. Lol that said, I’m 6’5” and put a good number of miles on a Dyna and then a road glide. If you look at anything other than a bagger (street/road glide) you’ll need forward controls for your long legs to be comfy. But a fairing and two luggage bags strapped to your bike at all times is a game changer. Just go big and straight to the bagger. You’ll never wonder what you’re missing out on

LoggerDan

WKR
Or you could just take the cash and buy a frame, a motor and tranny and just build a bike. Put as much stretch in it as you need or want without being stuck riding a lame-o geezer glide looking like every other middle aged guy. It ain’t gotta be a chopper, but you are into it way cheaper than a bike from the stealership. From your tanks and fenders, pegs, mounts, everything can be exactly as you want. I’ve built four hardtail choppers, and it’s a helluva great feeling kicking your own pile down the road and knowing your machine inside and out. Sure beats dumping a pile of money and drinking Harleys Kool Aid and looking like everyone else on the right ad. And unlike a “custom “ rifle that flatbills be ”building “, you can actually use creaticily and BUILD things….I used an old 30 30
lever action lever for a front brake lever, railroad spikes and wrenches for pegs, sump pump and fire extinguisher for an oil bag, boat trailer fenders, a piston for a shift knob on a jockey shift

Cady Creek

Lil-Rokslider
Part of the fun of owning a bike is the customizing process. And the sky is the limit when it comes to seats, bars, controls, etc. You're on the right track with a Roadking, Roadglide, and Ultra. None of them seem big and clunky once you put some miles on.
80,000 miles coast to coast on this one. C&C custom seat and BR custom bars.

Attachments

• Stonington.jpg
    Stonington.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 4