Mountain hunting greenhorn here

After dreaming for years of going to chase elk with the support from my wife I’m finally prepping to go next September (2023) and backpack in while hunting. My biggest issue I have is that I don’t have anyone to go with me. A little about myself, I’m 28 and in fairly good flat lander shape. I’d like to think I’m a better outdoorsman than a lot of people in my area but don’t we all. I spent 5 years in the corps and am familiar with the rigors of weighted hiking. I was also a survival instructor during that time so I also understand the safety issues associated with a trip like this solo. I plan to take full safety precautions and will continue to train with a high altitude breathing mask (restricts the amount of air you can breath in to simulate being at higher altitudes). Now I completely understand that the odds are highly stacked against me for success but this trip is about more than just a kill, it’s the whole experience. Is this something I am being a fool for trying to tackle solo just because of my personal ambitions and dreams or is it a task that is do-able.

Note: a guiding outfit is 100% out of the question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BravoNovember

Lil-Rokslider
we are in a very similar boat. I've decided to just go do it, even if alone. Don't hunt with many people in Wisconsin, so hard to get hunting partners to go when you don't have any. Its been intimidating to try and plan a solo trip and that's probably why I haven't done it yet. But 2023, pending any family issues, ill be heading west even if its a solo adventure

OP
HunterKyle
we are in a very similar boat. I've decided to just go do it, even if alone. Don't hunt with many people in Wisconsin, so hard to get hunting partners to go when you don't have any. Its been intimidating to try and plan a solo trip and that's probably why I haven't done it yet. But 2023, pending any family issues, ill be heading west even if its a solo adventure

I have plenty of buddy’s to hunt around north Louisiana with it’s just hard to get people to commit the money and time this will take not to mention having the personal discipline to get in the best shape they can prior to going. Doesn’t matter how bad you want it if you aren’t in decent shape those mountains at those altitudes will put you on your butt or kill you if you aren’t physically prepared for them. That being said the wrong hunting partner can absolutely ruin a trip like this

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Your on the right track, asking the right questions. As many newbies on here have been told, you do NOT have to go deep, or even backpack hunt to kill elk. Take it from my group of 4 Marines who on the first trip went 8 miles in and found only wolves. Guess what-next day we hiked out 8 miles and were spent for the next few days.
Basecamp hunt, keep moving to check for sign and animals.

BravoNovember

Lil-Rokslider
I have plenty of buddy’s to hunt around north Louisiana with it’s just hard to get people to commit the money and time this will take not to mention having the personal discipline to get in the best shape they can prior to going. Doesn’t matter how bad you want it if you aren’t in decent shape those mountains at those altitudes will put you on your butt or kill you if you aren’t physically prepared for them. That being said the wrong hunting partner can absolutely ruin a trip like this

I cannot even get anyone to commit to buying preference points. Its a struggle.

It's certainly doable, especially with your training and background. Are you dead set on a backpack style hunt? I'll explain why I ask: Without being able to scout an area several times through out the year, committing to one area by packing in can truly be a gamble. If the animals aren't there, you have pigeonholed yourself to the area that you invested time and energy to get into. The elk may be several basins over from you, they may not be there at all. Starting out in a brand new area, it may be beneficial to stay mobile. Have a base camp (vehicle accessible) that you work out of. I do this with a new area. I generally bring stuff for a spike camp in case I do find a basin worth staying in. If you want to backpack in to prove to yourself that you can, that's ok too. We all have things that we need to do for ourselves.

BravoNovember

Lil-Rokslider
lol this drives me crazy. I have a couple of buddies who want to go, year after year they don't buy points or apply to get a point in the draw. It's maddening.
and I can see the writing on the wall. I'll buy all the gear, put in the work for a few years learning some of the ins and outs of western elk hunting and then I'll have a couple guys that will be all in. Happens with ice fishing all the time.

OP
HunterKyle
It's certainly doable, especially with your training and background. Are you dead set on a backpack style hunt? I'll explain why I ask: Without being able to scout an area several times through out the year, committing to one area by packing in can truly be a gamble. If the animals aren't there, you have pigeonholed yourself to the area that you invested time and energy to get into. The elk may be several basins over from you, they may not be there at all. Starting out in a brand new area, it may be beneficial to stay mobile. Have a base camp (vehicle accessible) that you work out of. I do this with a new area. I generally bring stuff for a spike camp in case I do find a basin worth staying in. If you want to backpack in to prove to yourself that you can, that's ok too. We all have things that we need to do for ourselves.

My mindset has been to backpack in 3-4 days and if I didn’t like what I saw move to another unit and do another 3-4 days. And truthfully that backpacking in spike camp is something I may be completely over fantasizing. It’s just so alluring to me for the adventure aspect and being completely disconnected from people besides emergency satellite communication. I’m not not opposed at all the base camping though. Being green I know the best thing I can do is cover ground and learn as much as possible about atleast 2 areas

cnelk

WKR
To the OP
You mentioned that the trip is about the whole experience.

If you can swing it, make a summer backpacking trip into the area you are thinking about hunting - Late July would be a good time.

Then, after that, you can determine if you like the area, or maybe a truck camp with a possibility of bivying out to different spots would be better.

If a summer trip isnt feasible, Im in the crowd of a vehicle base camp.

Believe me, you'll still get plenty of the "whole experience"

OP
HunterKyle
To the OP
You mentioned that the trip is about the whole experience.

If you can swing it, make a summer backpacking trip into the area you are thinking about hunting - Late July would be a good time.

Then, after that, you can determine if you like the area, or maybe a truck camp with a possibility of bivying out to different spots would be better.

If a summer trip isnt feasible, Im in the crowd of a vehicle base camp.

Believe me, you'll still get plenty of the "whole experience"

I’ve looked at the average flight cost to try and make a 3 day summer trip and am even trying to think of a way to get my uncle (private pilot) to fly me out. Just not sure I can swing it being a single income with 4 kids and a wife that’s in college. If I can swing it at all it’s definitely on my mind

Btaylor

WKR
Being as you are in my neighborhood, regionally speaking, I am here to tell you your gills wont work out there. The training mask is likely not going to be all that beneficial. It takes a day or two to start getting your lungs to work halfway decent, at least for me. But I am a bit older so they tell me. I would worry less about trying to train for altitude and focus on leg and core strength. That is what has made the biggest difference for me from when I started going a few years ago. Stairs and/or bleachers with weight are good for preparing your body and mind. That and lunges, deadlifts, squats and weighted box step ups and box jumps.

trdhtr

FNG
I am leaving for my 3rd trip out West next week. I am 53 years old and went solo last year for eight days. Since 2020 a day doesn't go by that I don't regret starting earlier in life! Don't worry about anyone else. Get in shape and just go, you will never forget it!!

OP
HunterKyle
I am leaving for my 3rd trip out West next week. I am 53 years old and went solo last year for eight days. Since 2020 a day doesn't go by that I don't regret starting earlier in life! Don't worry about anyone else. Get in shape and just go, you will never forget it!!

Love the drive and ambition. My biggest concern would really be in the very unlikely case that I get a kill is getting the meat out

lol this drives me crazy. I have a couple of buddies who want to go, year after year they don't buy points or apply to get a point in the draw. It's maddening.
I would interpret that as they don't want to go and would probably bring ya down if they did.
If they were my buddies that would be me take.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Depending on where you plan to hunt, I am sure there are guys in that state willing to get out with you to help you get acclimated to the area you want to hunt. If Colorado is your choice of state there are no less then 50+ Roksliders who hunt all over Colorado. Im sure if you start networking and identify folks that will match your level of fitness and ambition you can find someone in the state your heading to join you. I know alot of folks have done this in the past.
Before Covid Me and my hunting buddy Mike had a Mrbillbrown out from Oklahoma to hunt with us for a few years. Im fairly sure Bill still comes out to Colorado to go with my buddy.
Point is, just get to know folks on here and start talking them about your plans and you would be surprised how freaking awesome the Rokslide Members can be =)

Cnelk's advice is solid also. half the battle to hunting out of state is finding good areas. If you can get out for a summer backpacking trip to a few places you virtually scouted, your going to put yourself into a great position.

Definitely doable and will be a great experience for you. As some others have mentioned, I would give some thought and preparation to how you will get the meat out if you are successful while hunting solo. Having a couple packers with horses queued up prior to your hunt that you can call in a pinch is a good idea. It is no joke packing a bull out, especially solo.

I prefer to hunt with a good hunting partner or two and usually do, but oftentimes others are not available or not as committed to go, so if I don't go myself, I don't get as much time in the woods.

OP
HunterKyle
Depending on where you plan to hunt, I am sure there are guys in that state willing to get out with you to help you get acclimated to the area you want to hunt. If Colorado is your choice of state there are no less then 50+ Roksliders who hunt all over Colorado. Im sure if you start networking and identify folks that will match your level of fitness and ambition you can find someone in the state your heading to join you. I know alot of folks have done this in the past.
Before Covid Me and my hunting buddy Mike had a Mrbillbrown out from Oklahoma to hunt with us for a few years. Im fairly sure Bill still comes out to Colorado to go with my buddy.
Point is, just get to know folks on here and start talking them about your plans and you would be surprised how freaking awesome the Rokslide Members can be =)

Cnelk's advice is solid also. half the battle to hunting out of state is finding good areas. If you can get out for a summer backpacking trip to a few places you virtually scouted, your going to put yourself into a great position.

I’m going to try and swing it just not sure how feasible it it will be financially, will cross that bridge at that time, something I’ve just thought about after reading another post is should I have tire chains on hand? I have zero intentions or desire of being around when the real snow season begins but I know Mother Nature has her own agenda