Mountain Tactical bottom metal Problems

Hoggetter

FNG
Is anybody having problems with the current Mountain Tactical T3x bottom metal’s being machined poorly and the loaded magazine falls out on the ground when fired. I have four bottom metals from them that were purchased at the last quarter of 2023.
I used them in three different stocks and actions and they Fall out under recoil and all the rifles have muzzle brakes.
I called them and sent the bottom metals back to them for inspection and or replacement in December. Now three months later ( mid March ) I received them back and they appear to look the same. So I took them to the range today for testing and installed on my already proven and vetted 7PRC, loaded the mags. The RESULTS are the same, the mags fell out after every shot.
If you single feed with empty mag then the mag stays in the bottom metal.

I have built alot of Tikka’s with their BM and they work great. The old style has a smaller rectangle trigger hole and the problem ones have a Large rectangular hole.
Please Comment if you currently have this problem.IMG_3111.jpeg

Taudisio

WKR
Yes I had the same issue and it still rears its ugly head, very rarely now though. I went back and forth with MT, and the smith was involved. I was thinking it was my 30 nosler recoil and heavy magazine doing it. I run two MT mags as well. We swapped the magazine catch with the original from the tikka. It went from every single shot to a rare enough occurrence that I think it’s me not seating the mag entirely.

OP
Hoggetter

Hoggetter

FNG
The problem is the mag lever pocket is not machined out enough and the lever can not pivot forward enough to lock the mag in under recoil with a loaded magazine. With the bottom metal out you can see it good, there is a gap between the mag and lever.

I told them this while they had the BM in December.IMG_3725.jpegIMG_3728.jpegIMG_3726.jpegIMG_3723.jpegIMG_3724.jpeg

OP
Hoggetter

Hoggetter

FNG
Yes I had the same issue and it still rears its ugly head, very rarely now though. I went back and forth with MT, and the smith was involved. I was thinking it was my 30 nosler recoil and heavy magazine doing it. I run two MT mags as well. We swapped the magazine catch with the original from the tikka. It went from every single shot to a rare enough occurrence that I think it’s me not seating the mag entirely.
See pics above

Antares

WKR
I have 2 or 3 MT bottom metals. I have had the same issue. I went back and forth with MT about it several years ago. They didn’t seem overly interested in getting it resolved.

The top of the mag catch hits the magazine which doesn’t allow the lip on the mag catch to fully seat. Cut/file the top off the mag catch off, everything above the lip (as in the pic below), this resolves the issue. I’ve told MT this. Sent them pics, drawings, measurements, etc.

IMG_1791.jpeg

Last edited:

eightyeight mag

Lil-Rokslider
I have 2 or 3 MT bottom metals. I have had the same issue. I went back and forth with MT about it several years ago. They didn’t seem overly interested in getting it resolved.

The top of the mag catch hits the magazine which doesn’t allow the lip on the mag catch to fully seat. Cut/file the to off the mag catch off, everything above the lip (as in the pic below), this resolves the issue. I’ve told MT this. Sent them pics, drawings, measurements, etc.

View attachment 691044
Did the exact same with mine.
Same kinda responses from MT.
Filing helped function on mine as well but doesn’t lock up real tight.
Annoying
High desert rifle works is my favorite tikka bottom metal. No problems at all.

OP
Hoggetter

Hoggetter

FNG

The top of the mag catch hits the magazine which doesn’t allow the lip on the mag catch to fully seat. Cut/file the to off the mag catch off, everything above the lip (as in the pic below), this resolves the issue. I’ve told MT this. Sent them pics, drawings, measurements, etc.

View attachment 691044
They took care of that problem. They all come notched now, exactly like you’re talking about .
This is a whole different problem.

OP
Hoggetter

Hoggetter

FNG
Decided to do their job for them, maybe MT will look at this post and go back in the shop and fix the problem. I buffed down the mag lever where it hits the bottom metal to let it throw enough to engage the magazine properly. I installed one of thier trigger springs, since I always have a half dozen on hand for tikka builds. It actually feels really nice, I will take it to the range and test it tomorrow. Attaching pictures so you could see how much more the mag lever throws now.
.IMG_3730.jpegIMG_3731.jpegIMG_3733.jpeg

Antares

WKR
They took care of that problem. They all come notched now, exactly like you’re talking about .
This is a whole different problem.

I guess I’m not explaining it well. Look at your pic and look at my pic. I’ve cut the entire top off the mag catch (what’s crosshatched in the drawing below). This resolved my issue 100%.

IMG_1792.jpeg

Taudisio

WKR
Decided to do their job for them, maybe MT will look at this post and go back in the shop and fix the problem. I buffed down the mag lever where it hits the bottom metal to let it throw enough to engage the magazine properly. I installed one of thier trigger springs, since I always have a half dozen on hand for tikka builds. It actually feels really nice, I will take it to the range and test it tomorrow. Attaching pictures so you could see how much more the mag lever throws now.
.View attachment 691089View attachment 691090View attachment 691091
It appears you both have resolved separate issues.
This looks like a night and day difference. I have the “small hole” styled one. This new version seems to have a different issue that you have also resolved. It’s hard to tell from the photo, but how did you fix it?

Taudisio

WKR
It will be interesting to hear the results. Appears to be a large gap in the front of the mag well from your photo with the mag in.

OP
Hoggetter

Hoggetter

FNG
It will be interesting to hear the results. Appears to be a large gap in the front of the mag well from your photo with the mag in.
Took it out and shot mutipull loaded mags of 7prc and it did not fail out one time. Compared to three days ago when it would fall out on every shot fired.
It is very concerning that I sent MT all four bottom metals describing that they fall out under recoil, and they mailed them back to me with the exact same problem. It’s unbelievable that they would not bolt them up in a rifle and fire the rifle to test if the fully loaded magazine drops out under recoil.

Taudisio

WKR
I'm having the same issue. I haven't contacted MT yet but you guys make it sound pointless.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
They are very polite when you get someone on the phone. Their solutions to issues have been sub-par.

kpk

WKR
I guess I’m not explaining it well. Look at your pic and look at my pic. I’ve cut the entire top off the mag catch (what’s crosshatched in the drawing below). This resolved my issue 100%.

View attachment 691106

I had to do exactly this same thing with mine about a year ago and posted the results on here as well. Haven't had any further issues since filing that lip off.

Reached out to Mtn Tactical and never got a response.