UM Tikka Bottom Metal

walk2112

Lil-Rokslider
Starting a new thread so the topic doesn't cause us all to 'ride the endorphin rollercoaster' more than necessary on the Rokstok thread where it was mentioned most recently. Also wanted to get a few of the questions that have been posed already in one place etc. A lot going on at @Unknown Munitions and I'm sure Jake and @Ryan Avery are focused on that (thankfully). That being said:

UM Tikka Bottom Metal questions:
1. OEM 'plastic' inlet or CTR or other? Should I order my Rokstok with factory tikka plastic inlet to be compatible with this future offering?
2. compatible with standard factory plastic mags?
3. For those of us wanting to convert a CTR to UM bottom metal someday... if I have a CTR bottom metal inletted stock, any chance of the UM bottom metal being offered with the main plate in two shapes to help fill the gap?
4. Anticipated weight (of BM and mags), and COAL limitations for each cartidge category?
5. Different 'snag free' style mag release lever? Maybe side push button or something of the like?

This may turn into another Rokstok thread type of anticipation... but I think that means UM is on to something and should press ahead full steam!

My interpretation of what they said is that it will be a factory (sporter) style bottom metal meaning compatible with sporter mags and not CTR, which aligns with the whole premise of rokstok as a hunting rifle.

Unknown Munitions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey sir, I thought someone might catch that mention and dig further.

I'll do my best to answer your questions but this project is just now starting and will take some time to meet my objectives.

1. OEM 'plastic' inlet or CTR or other? Should I order my Rokstok with factory tikka plastic inlet to be compatible with this future offering? There will most certainly be an option that fits in the current T3X plastic style inlet, I can't say for sure on the CTR. It will depend on demand, the plastic T3X version will come first though.

2. compatible with standard factory plastic mags? No

3. For those of us wanting to convert a CTR to UM bottom metal someday... if I have a CTR bottom metal inletted stock, any chance of the UM bottom metal being offered with the main plate in two shapes to help fill the gap? Again, this will depend on CTR demand.

4. Anticipated weight (of BM and mags), and COAL limitations for each cartridge category? Unknown at this time, but lightweight will be a project priority. Highest on the priority list is to completely max out COAL to stay inline with our existing line of UM DBM's and Mags with XL inside mag lengths that are the longest in the industry. The current load port on a T3X which I just measured is 3.67".

5. Different 'snag free' style mag release lever? Maybe side push button or something of the like? It will most certainly be different and the design will have Hunting priority, snag free, etc.

I will update this thread as the project proceeds but it will take some time for the initial design phase.

We're also finalizing an Action body lightening program to shave some ounces. Customers will be able to send their bolt in for fluting and their action body for lightening cuts to shave the ounces. No dremels here, this is a CNC operated program.

We've also began work on a modular Tikka bolt, more details to come.

I'll do my best to answer your questions but this project is just now starting and will take some time to meet my objectives.

1. OEM 'plastic' inlet or CTR or other? Should I order my Rokstok with factory tikka plastic inlet to be compatible with this future offering? There will most certainly be an option that fits in the current T3X plastic style inlet, I can't say for sure on the CTR. It will depend on demand, the plastic T3X version will come first though.

3. For those of us wanting to convert a CTR to UM bottom metal someday... if I have a CTR bottom metal inletted stock, any chance of the UM bottom metal being offered with the main plate in two shapes to help fill the gap? Again, this will depend on CTR demand.

4. Anticipated weight (of BM and mags), and COAL limitations for each cartridge category? Unknown at this time, but lightweight will be a project priority. Highest on the priority list is to completely max out COAL to stay inline with our existing line of UM DBM's and Mags with XL inside mag lengths that are the longest in the industry. The current load port on a T3X which I just measured is 3.67".

5. Different 'snag free' style mag release lever? Maybe side push button or something of the like? It will most certainly be different and the design will have Hunting priority, snag free, etc.

I will update this thread as the project proceeds but it will take some time for the initial design phase.

We're also finalizing an Action body lightening program to shave some ounces. Customers will be able to send their bolt in for fluting and their action body for lightening cuts to shave the ounces. No dremels here, this is a CNC operated program.

Lots of cats coming out of the bag here! I'm planning on a second, lighter 6 UM to go with my current one so all very good news!

What is the time frame for this and has it been tested? I just sent my action off today for a 6cm build and maybe would consider this depending on the price and lead time.

There’s a lot going on in that reply, haha

Glad to see UM filling the niche they are, besides the stress/workload they’re taking on, it’s a win for all, they are designing and building badass parts that people want, myself included

The timing is good for me too, because after a bunch of rifles, I have circled back to tikka and appreciate what they offer more than I used to, and having high quality aftermarket options makes them even more appealing

ljalberta

WKR

Easy there sir. You guys don’t need all of our money all at once here.

Unknown Munitions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What is the time frame for this and has it been tested? I just sent my action off today for a 6cm build and maybe would consider this depending on the price and lead time.
The first body is being cut this week. As far as testing, we will fire the highest pressure round possible to see what happens. Of course it will be fine, tons of guys have lightened their own actions using less than precise tooling.

Not sure on price yet until we get the machine run time this week. I will post weight savings, pictures, and lead times just as soon as I have the info here in this thread.

prm

WKR
So, I could extrapolate this to conclude that Stocky’s stock candidates being mentioned in another thread could perhaps be considered to incorporate some UM bottom metal and lightweight mag option? I’m thinking 84M with a carbon fiber stock and a mag. Few product suggestions get me excited, the mere potential of this gets me excited. That's a lot of assumptions that would need to all occur….

gabenzeke

WKR
I bought an arc CDG and was going to sell it to get a custom Tikka from um. Now I'm thinking I'll just slap together some parts while I wait to see all the cool stuff you can do to a Tikka and buy that once it's all available.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

ehayes

FNG
In regards to the bottom metal.

Is the plan to fit the factory mold but have a longer COAL? Resulting in a direct fit to the Rokstok and of course any other stock cut to factory bottom metal.
If not the factory mag, will it be an AICS or a new mag built my UM.
If a new UM mag, will it be available in all cartridges or only the most popular? Meaning, will it have aluminum feed lips to adjust to every cartridge.
Thanks

Call me skeptical and I hope I am wrong, but when I researched what it takes to increase COAL beyond 3.5-3.6”, it is more than changing the bottom metal and using AICS mags. It includes removing steel from the action in front of the bullet tips’ path upward to the feed ramp, and extending the bolt’s rearward path.

Alder_

Lil-Rokslider
@Unknown Munitions the action cuts look sweet! How much weight was reduced?

On the S2H podcast with basque assassin can you let us in on the secret about the top of the tikka action?
Maybe they’re able to make recessed cuts to lighten and/or create a picitanny style rail on the top? Not sure if there is enough meat for that.
Or removing a bunch of material off of the top middle section leaving enough on either side of the ejection port for scope ring adjustment?