Moving out West

There has just been a bloom of houses on the market here in Idaho. People are looking forward to taking some newcomer money. Houses that were 375k a year ago are listing for 550k. Not sure where these folks selling are going though, maybe farther west to Caldwell and Nampa, Melba, Weiser…dunno.
To add to this, anyone buying a home in the Boise area right now needs to fully understand escalation clauses...

Real estate friend says baseline offer is 5-10k over asking, with escalation clauses 30k, 50k, 75k over asking. Understand what that means, and if you are ok with that be prepared to bend over at the bank...or be flat out denied financing when your house doesn't appraise.

Reactions: ODB

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
I am going to be graduating from college this semester with a degree in computer engineering. I have a job lined up in the midwest, close to where I grew up, with good pay. My plan right now is to work and then move out west, possibly in a year or so. I am the type of guy who likes to take a lot of time to plan and consider all recommendations. I love to fly fish, bow hunt, rifle hunt, and waterfowl hunt. If you were 21 and in my shoes, where would you move that allows you to pursue these passions?
I was in a situation similar to yours 10 years ago. Worked 2 years after grad school on the east coast then moved out west for a few years, followed my now wife back east for her job, and then we moved back 2 years ago.

My advice would be to move out here sooner rather than later and don’t worry about finding the perfect place. Go wherever you can get a solid job and have good access to the hobbies you care about. It’s great to have a plan, but don’t worry about it being perfect, you won’t be able to execute it perfectly anyway. Once you’re here you’ll probably change your mind several times about what matters most and where is the best place to live. You’re at the best stage of your life to take some risks or try something new. Go for it.

I have no regrets about working at a ski shop for 6 months and eating ramen, it was awesome. But I do wish I could get those 2 years back right after school I spent in North Carolina working a solid engineering job with good pay.

WCB

WKR
I was always planning on moving out west and basically did live there for a few years while guiding in MT. Of course this was 2008ish and nothing was pressing me to move there. Thought "i'll get around to it" but life happens. If you want to do it as soon as possible. If you have any trade skills there is a ton of opportunity for work and make money. Cost is not going to go down.

If you have nothing holding you back find a spot on a map and start pounding nails or digging ditches out there and just do it. I get it you have a degree and whatever...I have two of them. One thing that kept me back was not finding a job using my degree in the industry I wanted to (and currently do) work in.

The west is just getting more and more crowded and honestly with less desirable people in general. If you want a shot at moving "out west" for the "out west" life better do it soon because most anywhere desirable to live in now the west coast without the ocean.

Gobbler36

WKR
this is actually pretty sound advice. Living in Colorado with the cost of living, its starting to suck. I've considered moving to the midwest to save money and use that to buy great hunts in Canada or Alaska. The hunting in Colorado, even as a resident is not what it used to be.
Correct I’ve looked at areas Midwest or parts of the southeast and possibly afford a sheep hunt from the money you’d save on housing alone not to mention gas, groceries etc. taxes.

MtnW

Lil-Rokslider
Unfortunately....You are going to find hunting and fishing access very limited and crowded close to any metro area in the Rocky Mtn west. The quality of the experiences will be quite low and expensive.
If you are really passionate about hunting, start your life in Alaska. If not join the crowds in Denver, Boise or SLC.
You may want to consider your alternatives. Moving after you gained experience. However you may become trapped and regret not taking a chance.

Unfortunately....You are going to find hunting and fishing access very limited and crowded close to any metro area in the Rocky Mtn west. The quality of the experiences will be quite low and expensive.
If you are really passionate about hunting, start your life in Alaska. If not join the crowds in Denver, Boise or SLC.
You may want to consider your alternatives. Moving after you gained experience. However you may become trapped and regret not taking a chance.
Correct. People competing for OTC tags and spots as residents is still a thing. I show up to my preferred OTC units in Idaho and I regularly find mobs of dudes running around blowing through bugle tubes in September or a guy posted up on every knob at daybreak looking through a spotter at the only 2 point within 2 miles.

ODB

WKR
Correct. People competing for OTC tags and spots as residents is still a thing. I show up to my preferred OTC units in Idaho and I regularly find mobs of dudes running around blowing through bugle tubes in September or a guy posted up on every knob at daybreak looking through a spotter at the only 2 point within 2 miles.

yup. It’s gotten to the point where I am looking forward to going back to my little grass shack on a small east coast island that I will never, ever mention the name of.

FLATHEAD

WKR
In all honesty, the West has become less appealing lately.
I've been exploring alternative resources for exploitation
the past few years.

Research cost of living vs wages above all else imo. Take into account commuting, housing, food, gas, taxes, etc... In your shoes I would look hard at Nebraska or South Dakota. Both have great hunting, cheap cost of living vs wages paid, and are within reasonable driving distance to the mountains. New Mexico wouldn't be a bad option either but their current politics would have to be considered.
Please keep NM out of this thread. We're full and he probably wouldn't be able to get a work Visa to live here...

Donjuan

WKR
I would honestly consider finding a stable place of employment within a decent drive of what you want. For example, finding something in Amarillo TX or Garden City KS makes it a short drive to fish or hunt on the front range to the west but you can go east to find waterfowl and whitetail. Not to mention you would be on decent hunting there for different species.

Donjuan

WKR
I would honestly consider finding a stable place of employment within a decent drive of what you want. For example, finding something in Amarillo TX or Garden City KS makes it a short drive to fish or hunt on the front range to the west but you can go east to find waterfowl and whitetail. Not to mention you would be on decent hunting there for different species.
Another point there is cost of living will be way lower than the traffic jam from Colorado springs to Cheyenne

Going to take the contrarian side and say there are still plenty spots out west with untapped potential that are not completely overcrowded and ruined yet.

You have to make more sacrifices now than you used to, but IMO the quality of life is unequivocally higher.

Sure I could make more money in some boring midwest town or city, but you can’t put a price tag on happiness. I wouldn’t be happy living in a humid climate with little to no high quality adventure / outdoor recreation options within a few hours.

tdhanses

WKR
I will echo what Buzz said, as he is pretty well spot on with his reccomendation. The biggest issue at the moment is the astronical rate that we have real estate moving right now. It is pretty well insanity and that is driving up the price significantly. Starter homes in my area are going to be things of the past for a while .
I see people always saying housing is expensive in WY, what is the avg price of a home, over $500k? Most large cities housing isn’t cheap in good areas for a decent home. Here in KC most new homes being built are in the $400k to $1 million range.

Now if you want to live in heavier crime areas, poor schools and not close to work you’ll be in $150k range. If you live in rural areas anywhere good paying jobs aren’t very common.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Pick the trendiest mountain town you can find, grow a man bun, get some skinny jeans and go for it!!! Also, I almost forgot, make up a nickname for yourself before you go.

Missoula, Boulder, Ketchum, bend…..

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I see people always saying housing is expensive in WY, what is the avg price of a home, over $500k? Most large cities housing isn’t cheap in good areas for a decent home. Here in KC most new homes being built are in the $400k to $1 million range.

Now if you want to live in heavier crime areas, poor schools and not close to work you’ll be in $150k range. If you live in rural areas anywhere good paying jobs aren’t very common.
It’s the ability to move into the next phase. For example, when I moved here the market we were looking at was 150k ish. We bought in that range. Our house right now, as is could go close to double that, and its beenn7 years since we bought. The issue is that even with the “equity” we would be doubling our mortgage size to get what we were hoping for because the influx of cash buyers drove the prices up on what we would be looking at. This is happening to long time residents all over the west.