Must have clothing?

I will be going on my first archery elk hunt in the next year or so. What are some must have Sitka or First Lite pieces of clothing for early season elk?

I’ve been very happy with all of my first lite stuff. the fl couragate pants, wick long sleeve zip shirt and their belt are pretty much worn on every hunt. The kiln shirt is a good layer, and I like the uncompaghre jacket. I have been wearing the kuiu attack pants from time to time which I like a lot of the features of but they just don’t fit right, 36s thighs were too small and 38s were too big in the waist… I have worn darn tough full cushion socks for several years and haven’t found any better. I was wearing salamon 4d gtx boots for a few years that were good but I recently switched to Hoffman explorers which are substantially more supportive and though heavier I haven’t noticed the weight but have noticed the way better stability on rough terrain especially with a pack. Well that’s my hit list anyway.

crich

WKR
Depends on how you plan to hunt really. Lots of guys wear name brand hunting clothing and many others wear other brands and do just fine. If you're backpacking in vs day hunting that may dictate what you're willing to take into the woods.

OP
Stevendearden
I’ve been very happy with all of my first lite stuff. the fl couragate pants, wick long sleeve zip shirt and their belt are pretty much worn on every hunt. The kiln shirt is a good layer, and I like the uncompaghre jacket. I have been wearing the kuiu attack pants from time to time which I like a lot of the features of but they just don’t fit right, 36s thighs were too small and 38s were too big in the waist… I have worn darn tough full cushion socks for several years and haven’t found any better. I was wearing salamon 4d gtx boots for a few years that were good but I recently switched to Hoffman explorers which are substantially more supportive and though heavier I haven’t noticed the weight but have noticed the way better stability on rough terrain especially with a pack. Well that’s my hit list anyway.
I have the fl wick top and bottom, thinking of getting the kiln set as well. How much insulation does that provide?

I have the fl wick top and bottom, thinking of getting the kiln set as well. How much insulation does that provide?
It’s the perfect middle layer for me without being too thick. I usually wear it over a wick and under a jacket of some sort depending on the weather.

OP
Stevendearden
Depends on how you plan to hunt really. Lots of guys wear name brand hunting clothing and many others wear other brands and do just fine. If you're backpacking in vs day hunting that may dictate what you're willing to take into the woods.
Well, not totally sure yet but I am leaning towards day hunting for now.
I plan on day hunting at this point.
It’s the perfect middle layer for me without being too thick. I usually wear it over a wick and under a jacket of some sort depending on the weather.
Do you ever use the kiln as a base layer? I tend to run hot so I’m thinking a light base layer followed by a mid insulating layer followed by say a jet stream jacket?
For the love of God, just test your boots walking uphill *with some weight on your back* before you show up to the trailhead. Doesn’t matter what clothes you have on if your heels are worn to the bone before your key fob is out of range.
I simply asked about clothing, I’ve hiked plenty before. My boots are fine but thanks though.

TL406

Lil-Rokslider
Well, not totally sure yet but I am leaning towards day hunting for now.

I plan on day hunting at this point.

Do you ever use the kiln as a base layer? I tend to run hot so I’m thinking a light base layer followed by a mid insulating layer followed by say a jet stream jacket?

I simply asked about clothing, I’ve hiked plenty before. My boots are fine but thanks though.
Ah yes, I see that now. The “Fuse Crew” long sleeve is my go-to archery shirt. Put in probably close to 60 days wearing that shirt this year between spring and fall, no holes, great shape. Best wicking material I’ve ever worn. I’ve worn the “fuse long john” some but always wish I hadn’t even if it’s cold. Still wicks sweat really good.

I have the Sitka mountain pants, very comfortable, might be a little hot depending on where you’re hunting and how early in the season but they’ll get you through November when layered. I have the apex hoodie as well and really like it

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Between Sitka and First Lite the only piece of clothing I have is a FL beanie, and I rarely use that in September. So I would say that neither have "must haves" for clothing for archery elk.

Ah yes, I see that now. The “Fuse Crew” long sleeve is my go-to archery shirt. Put in probably close to 60 days wearing that shirt this year between spring and fall, no holes, great shape. Best wicking material I’ve ever worn. I’ve worn the “fuse long john” some but always wish I hadn’t even if it’s cold. Still wicks sweat really good.

Accidentally quoted your post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run the same gear every year in southern Colorado and this is what I use.

Firstlite wool base. Which ever one is the light weight base. I can’t remember the names. I run the same base layer bottoms. Wool boxer briefs as well. Darn tough socks. Then Sitka accent pants Bc they are awesome. If you’re hiking, you won’t want mountain pants. They get too hot. I wear a Sitka mid weight top over the base layer of it’s chilly. Then I pack a jacket. The jetstream is a great jacket but it’s pretty warm. You would only use that sitting and glassing. You won’t be hiking much in it. It’s a good jacket Bc it sheds water but mostly Bc it’s wind proof. You need rain gear as well. If you’re sitting and glassing, use your rain pants to block wind if it’s cold. They also hold heat in while sitting and glassing as well. I always take too much gear but I’ve been in southern Colorado and had 6” of snow dumped the second week of September (two years ago) and below freezing temps and hunted just fine wearing that exact setup. As it heats up, shed layers. Last year I coulda hunted in a Speedo. It was miserably hot. Those accent pants and the thinnest wool top is all I wore almost the entire trip. Don’t worry about camo patterns matching. It doesn’t matter. It’s about having the right gear. My wife and I have killed elk 3 out of 4 years. I wear miss matched patterns (open country and First lite)
as does she (elevated II and First lite). Just don’t move, they won’t see you.

Sent from my iPhone u

Oregonboy

WKR
Don't rule out Kuiu attack pants,, my favorite pants of any of hunting brand.

For September Elk, I also like the FL wick short sleeve and the FL kiln hoody on top. Kuiu attacks and crispi boots for pants and boots. I've been using that system for the past few years with no complaints.

OP
Stevendearden
I run the same gear every year in southern Colorado and this is what I use.

Firstlite wool base. Which ever one is the light weight base. I can’t remember the names. I run the same base layer bottoms. Wool boxer briefs as well. Darn tough socks. Then Sitka accent pants Bc they are awesome. If you’re hiking, you won’t want mountain pants. They get too hot. I wear a Sitka mid weight top over the base layer of it’s chilly. Then I pack a jacket. The jetstream is a great jacket but it’s pretty warm. You would only use that sitting and glassing. You won’t be hiking much in it. It’s a good jacket Bc it sheds water but mostly Bc it’s wind proof. You need rain gear as well. If you’re sitting and glassing, use your rain pants to block wind if it’s cold. They also hold heat in while sitting and glassing as well. I always take too much gear but I’ve been in southern Colorado and had 6” of snow dumped the second week of September (two years ago) and below freezing temps and hunted just fine wearing that exact setup. As it heats up, shed layers. Last year I coulda hunted in a Speedo. It was miserably hot. Those accent pants and the thinnest wool top is all I wore almost the entire trip. Don’t worry about camo patterns matching. It doesn’t matter. It’s about having the right gear. My wife and I have killed elk 3 out of 4 years. I wear miss matched patterns (open country and First lite)
as does she (elevated II and First lite). Just don’t move, they won’t see you.

Sent from my iPhone u

Thanks for the insight! Yeah personally I don’t care about matching camo patterns. I would rather have gear that will allow me to hunt longer and keep me out there.

Gerbdog

WKR
Hmmm ive fallen in love with the first lite obsidian merino hybrid pants this last year, got it soaked, still kept me warm, held up to the underbrush with no tears, quiet, and kept me warm while sitting as well.

I wear the sitka light weight layer up top but thats mostly because i like the cammo pattern, i would get the first lite aerowool base layer up top if i didnt like the sitka subalpine pattern so well (yea i know, it doesnt matter on the pattern but half the battles mental anyway).

Thats about it... thats basically all i wear, if im moving that is enough to keep me plenty warm

In my pack i carry a down puffy jacket (mountain hardware) and a quiet camo rain jacket, when im sitting those will both go on to keep warm, especially in the shade.

Hat is just a basic no name camo hat or a beanie for the mornings

I sometimes put on some thin gloves, mostly for the camo

One of my sitka shirts has a face mask built in, if im wearing the other that does not have the face mask i have a few camo neck gaiters that i can pull up over my face