Must have clothing?

I will be going on my first archery elk hunt in the next year or so. What are some must have Sitka or First Lite pieces of clothing for early season elk?
Where are you hunting? Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, other. If you're at 7000-8000 feet of elevation in Colorado for example or at 9000-11000 feet of elevation, chosen gear can make a big difference. Are you day hunting from a base camp, cabin, RV, hotel, etc?

Recommendation: Post #15 I like, spot on. Lightweight merino base layer helps give you a lot of latitude, will provide some warmth when it's damp. Wear a light polypro wicking layer under that, as the polypro will dry out quickly. From there, another layer like fleece or puffy on top gives a good combo. Do it in layers and be sure you have good rain gear to keep those layers dry. Packable rain gear doubles as a windbreaker and adds nice warmth without adding a lot of extra stuff to carry as already said, and bears emphasis.

For me even in the winter during rifle season, a mid weight pair of merino bottoms with six pocket pants over top is plenty and I don't overheat when hiking. When sitting, if it's cold pull on the gore tex rain pants and sit in comfort. My upper body is what sweats the most and makes it the most miserable if I don't manage it as described above.

Don’t get hung up on hunting specific brands like Sitka etc. Lots of companies make technical clothing that is every bit as good just without the Camo. My boots are Lowa Tibet, puffy is Patagonia, early season hat is Sitka… my point is that I don’t just shop from hunt specific brands. Backpacking and mountaineering focused companies make stuff that is every bit as good as Sitka for less money. Most of these companies were perfecting technical wear decades before Sitka and Kuiu were even a thought.

Don’t get hung up on hunting specific brands like Sitka etc. Lots of companies make technical clothing that is every bit as good just without the Camo. My boots are Lowa Tibet, puffy is Patagonia, early season hat is Sitka… my point is that I don’t just shop from hunt specific brands. Backpacking and mountaineering focused companies make stuff that is every bit as good as Sitka for less money. Most of these companies were perfecting technical wear decades before Sitka and Kuiu were even a thought.
Excellent post. My long underwear bottoms are Helly Hansen 50/50 Merino/polypro under a pair of Cabela's six pocket camo pants I've had for years. Up top is a Walmart wicking long sleeve shirt with a Minus33 100% merino wool mid layer, a nondescript pullover fleece, a Cabela's bargain cave XPG packable down coat and bargain cave Gore-Tex packable rain parka. Rain pants are REI 20-year-old Gore-Tex packable.

I'm geared toward rifle hunting however with a few simple changes it's easily adaptable to earlier season archery if I go back to that.

I'll resist the gators until I have to. If it's super rainy then yeah, I'll do it. But the snow has to be more than ankle deep.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I still haven’t figured out how to cross streams with gaiters on and NOT get water in my boots…. Maybe I’m an idiot or read somewhere incorrectly, but my understanding is you can use them in deeper water to keep your feet dry? Not sure if that’s true at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do it. My gaiters fit snug. Can’t really wade though. If you stand around or go slow the water will get in your boots. If it’s just a little above boot top and you step quick you can come out with dry feet. At least I can.

Marble

WKR
I still haven’t figured out how to cross streams with gaiters on and NOT get water in my boots…. Maybe I’m an idiot or read somewhere incorrectly, but my understanding is you can use them in deeper water to keep your feet dry? Not sure if that’s true at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within reason. If I have good waterproof/resistant pants, boots and gators, I ahead successfully crossed. But it's not a for sure thing. If weather permits,pull your boots and cross then go from there.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

simarden

FNG
The selection of clothing for hunting begins with the right choice of the layer of clothing, which directly contacts the hunter's body, with thermal underwear. If you want to dazzle a moose with beauty, a suit from gentlemansguru.com will be enough. Thermal underwear can be made from various materials: wool, cotton, bamboo, seaweed, a variety of polymers. Before Thermo-wear is two important tasks, it must keep the heat coming from the hunter's body and take away as much vapor coming from the human body. The clothing itself does not keep you warm. It just keeps the heat coming from the human body. The more air in the clothes, the better it retains heat.

Wool underwear. I liked it so much hunting it’s all I wear year round now.

I’ve hunted in everything. All I’d say is wool underwear and anything but jeans. Always have something warm in your bag too.

That’s all I got.

I'm a huge fan of the long underwear that can be unzipped down the side to take off or put on without having to take your boots off. They are pretty much always in my pack or on my sexxxxxxy legs unless I'm just day hunting from my car. I have the FL ones but I'm pretty sure there are others out there too.

I will be going on my first archery elk hunt in the next year or so. What are some must have Sitka or First Lite pieces of clothing for early season elk?
Don't own any of either. Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong? :D

My "must have" clothing for elk (or mule deer) are my Merino wool thermals I got from Midway USA a few years ago. Affordable, light and effective.

I’ll echo, merino base layers, pants that aren’t cotton, and a light weight insulating layer. See REI for good options in 800 fp down.

Obviously, sturdy, broken-in boots as well.

The First Lite Sawtooth Hybrid jacket is the cats ass for chasing September elk with a pack on your back. Must haves, good socks and good underwear.

If I was going bow hunting and I needed an all around workhorse piece of clothing it would be a Sitka Jetstream jacket. I’d have a Kelvin vest or jacket jammed in my pack to put on underneath if I needed to. That setup will get you through lots of shit! Good luck….

Last edited:

Huntnnw

WKR
Don't rule out Kuiu attack pants,, my favorite pants of any of hunting brand.

For September Elk, I also like the FL wick short sleeve and the FL kiln hoody on top. Kuiu attacks and crispi boots for pants and boots. I've been using that system for the past few years with no complaints.
and the Kutana pant is the best warm weather pant I have owned.

I hate my FL pants. they are scouting season/ hike pants

bozeman

WKR
So basically, buy name brand (Sikta, Kuiu, FirstLite) as they are top notch gear, also buy non-name brand gear as it is overpriced and many other brands offer the same performance for less. You need merino base layers, but not really. Also, layer, but dont layer too much.........hope the summary helps! :0

So basically, buy name brand (Sikta, Kuiu, FirstLite) as they are top notch gear, also buy non-name brand gear as it is overpriced and many other brands offer the same performance for less. You need merino base layers, but not really. Also, layer, but dont layer too much.........hope the summary helps! :0
I’d change one thing about name brands. Do buy name brands, just don’t get hung up on name brands that market to the hunting crowd. Black Diamond, Patagonia, Outdoor Research etc are every bit as good as Sitka… often better for less money.

I personally don't really use camo for rifle season. For turkey and archery, Sitka core light weight hoody has held up reasonably well pushing through oakbrush. Dumps heat via fabric and zipper.

Will.I.Am

FNG
I would strongly advise you against redoing your entire wardrobe at once. Not only it is a large expense, probably far more than you even realize, to replace everything, but also, just because you have an idea in your head of what you want to wear does not mean that it will end up actually translating well to your life. Rather than dumping all your clothes and starting fresh, start with buying a few pieces that are more like the aesthetic you are looking for and incorporate them into your regular wear. Personally, I love the business casual, pencil skirts, and high heels, but I work from home as an artist and do a lot of active social activities, so pencil skirts and high heels have a very small place in my life. Anyway, Mato & Hash is my favorite brand. Lov it.

Last edited:

sheffiled

FNG
One of my favourite pieces of gear I've ever bought were the side zip long johns by firtslite, have the light and heavy set. so much better than taking boots off mid day