Must-Haves for Western Hunts

TaperPin

WKR
Every year I talk with someone who is at high risk for getting into serious trouble if they are a few miles from camp, get in some bad weather, can’t figure out where they are, and have to at the very least make it through the night and not get killed by hypothermia.

I’m not picking on just out of state hunters, there are plenty of guys with years of experience that don’t make it home.

There’s one area I hunted a few times, and at one point you just turn right at the head of a certain creek and it takes you to a lake. Simple. I always have good topo maps and follow my path, but even following the map I missed the head of that creek. Then, maybe the next year, I backpacked in there for a few nights and missed it again. The third time I started to go the way that seemed right and caught myself. I used to take groups of college kids hiking and backpacking and that became a favorite place to teach route finding because it’s human nature to go the wrong way, and you‘re 4 miles in. It was really fun letting them get way off track and struggle enough they felt the seriousness, as well as the sense of accomplishment after working on the solution.

It’s no big deal when sunny t-shirt weather turns to rain - that’s what a high $$ breathable parka shell and pants are made for. When it drizzles the humidity is 100% and everything eventually gets damp, then a short stiff rain will get things a little wetter, maybe a short patch of snow that barely sticks and drops temps. On top of that you’re on the north east side of a big ridge and it’s getting dark quick, so instead of going up higher to glass, it looks easier on the map to go down a bit and cut across a few avalanche chutes then back up to save time. A soft snow rolls in and you can’t see the game trails as easily, or at all, so it’s bush whacking and slow, and now it’s dark. Maybe you went too far, maybe not far enough, but nothing is matching the map, it’s overgrown brush or shale slides and steep as hell in the chutes, and you’ve been sweating your ass off trying to hustle so insulating layers are soaked. Old batteries crap out. The list of small things that can add up is really large. You’re cold, you’re stuck for the night, hungry, and hopefully there’s enough gear to make a fire and not be Bob-the-popcycle by morning. . . . and yes, it’s not uncommon to find Bob-the-popcycle naked - it does weird things to your head. Don’t be Bob.

Attachments

• 7ECA42FF-B6B0-4274-9AA9-62ECB45C8CEE.jpeg
    7ECA42FF-B6B0-4274-9AA9-62ECB45C8CEE.jpeg
    130.3 KB · Views: 113
Boots, glass, pack, sleep system. Quality of gear depends on how much you plan on backpack hunting out west, but I’ve personally wasted a ton of money on buying gear I thought would be “good enough” before realizing it wasn’t and then dropping more coin for the good stuff. My advice is skip buying the cheaper version. Buy nice or buy twice.

I think you mentioned not liking stiff boots? Do yourself a favor and get 10” goretex (or equivalent) boots with a full rubber Rand and vibram sole. There’s plenty of companies that have softer flexing models of their higher end hiking boots.

coyote_out

Lil-Rokslider
A couple things that I didn’t see mentioned that I pack if I am leaving the state/ not coming home for a few days:
- 2nd set of boots I trust.
- possibly a second rifle if I am going solo, scratch this off if you are going with a buddy with a decent rifle.
- a small tarp you could pack with you if you want to ( more of a personal choice but good to have)
- a chainsaw for the truck if you are going to the mountains
- good fire starter and know how to use it
- a hand saw to skull cap or pot and stove to boil out the head ( lots of states don’t allow the transportation of brain matter or even bones for that matter, from a CWD positive state. Seen guys loose their whole animals because of this. And get fined.)
- a large cooler big enough for your meat. Even if it is a late hunt, I like it just to keep the highway grime off the game bags.
- possibly a 2nd spare tire depending on where you are hunting
- I usually have two sets of rain gear. I’ll pack my light weight emergency type rain gear with me most days, but if I am leaving camp and it is obviously going to be nasty I’ll switch It out with the heavier more robust set.

Already mentioned but give my vote as well:
- best glass you can afford
- tripod
- a pack that fits you and can pack 80+ if that is the kind of hunt you are doing
- range finder that can hit at double your effective rifle range.
- chains for the truck

I always pack too much lol. But the truck doesn’t get to complain.

Attachments

• IMG_1184.jpeg
    IMG_1184.jpeg
    420.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1185.jpeg
    IMG_1185.jpeg
    440.4 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Northpark

WKR
Yes there are a few of us crazy ones down around here ;)

S AZ Coues deer mtn’s. That’s blood of success on that shoe. Blue jeans and no socks :)
View attachment 641395
At least I use socks! I have hunted in NV for 10 days in archery season in trail runners and definitely use trail runners almost exclusively here in AZ for archery season.

I do use crispi nevadas during a lot of my hunts though and with socks

OP
P
A couple things that I didn’t see mentioned that I pack if I am leaving the state/ not coming home for a few days:
- 2nd set of boots I trust.
- possibly a second rifle if I am going solo, scratch this off if you are going with a buddy with a decent rifle.
- a small tarp you could pack with you if you want to ( more of a personal choice but good to have)
- a chainsaw for the truck if you are going to the mountains
- good fire starter and know how to use it
- a hand saw to skull cap or pot and stove to boil out the head ( lots of states don’t allow the transportation of brain matter or even bones for that matter, from a CWD positive state. Seen guys loose their whole animals because of this. And get fined.)
- a large cooler big enough for your meat. Even if it is a late hunt, I like it just to keep the highway grime off the game bags.
- possibly a 2nd spare tire depending on where you are hunting
- I usually have two sets of rain gear. I’ll pack my light weight emergency type rain gear with me most days, but if I am leaving camp and it is obviously going to be nasty I’ll switch It out with the heavier more robust set.

Already mentioned but give my vote as well:
- best glass you can afford
- tripod
- a pack that fits you and can pack 80+ if that is the kind of hunt you are doing
- range finder that can hit at double your effective rifle range.
- chains for the truck

I always pack too much lol. But the truck doesn’t get to complain.
Awesome list, thank you! We still have awhile to figure out some specifics but this definitely makes a good checklist.

kpk

WKR
A good puffy jacket in your pack. Weather in the mountains changes crazy fast compared to what we are used to.

Physical conditioning should basically be #1 on your list. Do not wait until a month before you go to start getting in shape.

northernalpine

Lil-Rokslider
The group has spelled out a lot of both kit and considerations that are worth their weight in gold. Here’s some more 🤣

- 3 ways to navigate, make sure the waypoints are on/in all of them (especially the paper map)
- 2 or 3 ways to make fire
- layered clothing system that covers 60 degrees to below freezing with a ripping wind; when you get close to your actual hunt dates the load out can be tailored but the common denominator is the mountains are unpredictable and they always, always win
- keep an extra set of socks and a warm hat with you always, nothing is better at sucking your body heat away than wet/sweaty feet and that cool trucker hat
- know where the water is or isn’t in the area, have a plan for both
- spend time behind what you think you’re going to use to glass, what you buy may not be what you prefer (example: I hate using spotting scopes for long periods but I can glass all day with 18x56 binos on a tripod, save a little weight, and pick out just as many critters as some guys with a 85mm spotter out to about 2km. The downside is I know I will need to get closer to confirm racks where the 65mm or 85mm means that can likely do it from from the same location)

GreenBoot

FNG
I don’t personally have the experience but I’ve heard that you need roughly 1.2-1.5lbs of food per day. Calories = energy

Davisjj8

Lil-Rokslider
Good glass, good glass, good glass.

If you’re asking if your glass is good enough. Get better glass if you can.

And workout a lot,

SteveinMN

FNG
Lots of debate on boots here. I too hate a stiff/heavy boot. Last year I did first rifle in CO with super light Irish Setters and really regretted it...the sole was simply too soft and I got pretty bruised up on the bottoms of my feet. Also have two buddies who broke ankles hunting out there. I'm upping my boot game this year based on this. Not my preference, but based on mine and the experience of friends who hunt hard I'm doing it anyway.

Gaiters...you need them. Being from MN I just used the ones I already owned. They are fine for dry fluffy snow, but out west the sunshine turns that snow to mush every afternoon. I'm upgrading to goretex to keep boots drier and also keep pant cuffs dry.

It's been mentioned a few times, but coming from low altitude to high can really kick your ass even if you are in decent shape. Get in the best condition you can and still expect to have your ass kicked.

junitas03

FNG
Going to be embarking on my first hunt in the Western states (Wyoming to be specific) in a couple years. Trying to be proactive and build up some gear during these two years that'll help me out while I'm in the field. What are some must-haves that you always take with you or recommendations on what to bring/not to bring for a first time Western hunter? (Numerous years of experience hunting, but all in Eastern States, totally different I'm sure).
2023 was my first time back out West (Colorado) in 8 years - was in a very similar situation, and needed a gear overhaul. Here's my advice:

Research the area you'll be hunting and specifically the weather and terrain, from there - start building a gear list. I'd start with Brian Call and Ryan Lampers, and then watch the GoHunt guys. Ryan and Brian bring a ton of stuff with them, some of it is a nice to have IMO (trekking spikes and boot dryers). And, some of it is a need to have (med. kit). Either way, you'll get a great frame of reference. And the GoHunt guys cut through the noise and make it fun.

Put everything you think you'd need into an excel sheet (with total cost and MSRP, etc.) From there, you can start building a budget. Purchase a few things once a month, and build slowly. Or, if you have the means - go nuts!

I'd build your gear list without thinking of the total cost. Based on what you said, "couple years," you have time to budget, save and if necessary do odd jobs to make some spending (hunting) cash. Example, if your final gear list totals $8k - spread out over 20 months, is $400 / month. And, you'll get the gear you want vs. skimping. I personally got a few manual labor jobs on weekends and late nights to get extra cash. It was tough to balance with my day job and (very supportive) wife, but I've got the gear I want(ed) vs. making exceptions.

Research retailers like Scheel's and REI. And, monitor brand's website for promotions (Stone Glacier, Sitka, KUIU, etc.). Scheel's price-matches and has great customer service. They also offer a credit card if you're into that. The best advice I can bestow - ALL brands will go on sale at least 2 times before September. Stone Glacier ran an epic Father's Day promotion - I bought their Sky Air ULT, and because my total cart was $XX I got a few necessary things for free.

Be patient and wait. And, do not 'skimp' on anything - "buy once, cry once," is real.

The BIGGEST mistake I made ^^ . I bought a KUIU Pro 6000 on deep discount, and regretted it with every step I took in White River National Forest. Buy a few frames / packs, load them up and return the one you don't like. Also do that with pants and boots.

I spent $400 on a fully-loaded KUIU Pro 6000, thought I saved a bunch of money. BUT, hated it for my body, the load I carried, everything for me / my body was wrong. Going to bite the bullet this year and upgrade to a Kifaru, which my hunting buddy had, and I tried out - for me, it was 1000% better.
Going to be embarking on my first hunt in the Western states (Wyoming to be specific) in a couple years. Trying to be proactive and build up some gear during these two years that'll help me out while I'm in the field. What are some must-haves that you always take with you or recommendations on what to bring/not to bring for a first time Western hunter? (Numerous years of experience hunting, but all in Eastern States, totally different I'm sure).

Bradverbs

FNG
A good puffy jacket in your pack. Weather in the mountains changes crazy fast compared to what we are used to.

Physical conditioning should basically be #1 on your list. Do not wait until a month before you go to start getting in shape.
Couldn’t agree more that physical conditioning is #1

junitas03

FNG
Couldn’t agree more that physical conditioning is #1
Yeah, I'll second that - I'm based on the East Coast and spent 12 months getting fit before heading back out to CO. I was in great shape, the hard work paid off. But, the altitude still kicked my ass for the first 2-3 days.

My recommendation - plan to get to Wyoming 36 hours before you actually go hunting. At least get one nights sleep in at altitude before you head out / into the backcountry.

Pack extra electrolytes and plan water accordingly.

I was crushing 2x the liquids vs. what my buddy's who live in CO were consuming.

NickyD

Lil-Rokslider
If it’s cold and snowy I like to bring a jetboil even on a dayhunt. When you get cold and can’t make a fire it’s not only a lifesaver but also a great moral boost. Sipping on hot water keeps you warm and not running to the truck late in the evening when you’re most likely to see moving deer.

Don’t forget a shovel and traction boards for the car. They can turn a bad situation into a quick recovery.

Lastly, many people struggle to eat food at elevation so besides the nutrient/calorie dense foods, I bring snacks I know I’ll eat under all circumstances like candy/fruit/chips

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider
Great info here. I will only double, triple, and quadruple the comment as to buy several packs see which one fits best, return the rest.

I wanted the Stone Glacier pack with the “XCurve” frame to work so bad. After all it sounded great. It curved, had to be perfect.

Not for my body. I could have built one out of treated 2x4s that worked better for me. It was great for some not just me. Get the one that fits you with weight in it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mountneer

FNG
You are wise, OP, to pose the question here.
I grew up hunting the Laurel Highlands of PA. In those days, it was generally more sedentary or stillhunting. "Gear" didn't exist, but needs were modest due to temperatures & terrain.
Being out west these last 40 years, I'll add these things to all the notes above:

1. Distances will fool you if you've spent your hunting life in the woods. A mulie across the coulee or canyon may be 80 yards, or is it 500 yards?. Big difference. Your range finder and rifle ballistics are vital.

2. 10 miles a day isn't atypical. Figure some of it sidehilling....and your boots must have that kind of support. Your lungs will burn & you might need to rest each 50' when climbing straight up a really good slope at 8,000 ft. Fitness, as mentioned, can't be stressed enough, or you're wasting your money.

3. Pretty hard to drag out a mature deer or elk quarters from several miles in, especially if hilly, sage, rocky, off-trail, no snow. A pack of some sort is needed in that case.

4. Don't be caught without layers and headlamps that will keep you alive overnight if you get lost. It happens in the mountains here.

5. Take in every minute. Be thankful you're able to do what you're doing.