Must-Haves for Western Hunts

Going to be embarking on my first hunt in the Western states (Wyoming to be specific) in a couple years. Trying to be proactive and build up some gear during these two years that'll help me out while I'm in the field. What are some must-haves that you always take with you or recommendations on what to bring/not to bring for a first time Western hunter? (Numerous years of experience hunting, but all in Eastern States, totally different I'm sure).

EdP

WKR
What you need for a western hunt compared with what you have depends on what kind of eastern hunting you have done. Hunting the Maine woods or the Adirondacks is a lot different from southeastern corn/beanfields. The one thing I wanted was a range finder with a very long reach, keeping in mind that the advertised range is for a highly reflective target and the distance a big game animal can be ranged is typically half of that.

fatlander

WKR
Could be that you really need nothing or everything.

What, where, and when you’re hunting is going to dictate what you need. Eastern Wyoming sage country archery antelope vs. western Wyoming mountainous rifle elk might as well be on different planets as it pertains to gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sndmn11

WKR
I think a backpack FRAME that fits is the best thing to work on. Buy a frame from two manufacturers, used is fine, and try them out. Send the loser away and find a different manufacturer to try. Keep doing this until you decide you've found the one. The bag is mostly irrelevant until you find a frame and know specifically what your hunt will look like.

I used $75 hikers most of the year, so I don't fall into the belief that one needs to go out and buy expensive all leather boots to break in. I do think that answer will be discovered while committing to testing frames though!

Exo, Seek Outside, Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Mystery Ranch, Kuiu, probably others.

Northpark

WKR
Like others have said, depends on what you’re doing and been doing. I’ll second good boots but that will be dictated by where and when you’re hunting. A good set of binos but again where you’re going is going to dictate what you need. A rangefinder is probably critical if you don’t have one. A layered clothing system that will again be dictated by where and when you’re going.

What, when and where are you planning on hunting?

OP
P
Like others have said, depends on what you’re doing and been doing. I’ll second good boots but that will be dictated by where and when you’re hunting. A good set of binos but again where you’re going is going to dictate what you need. A rangefinder is probably critical if you don’t have one. A layered clothing system that will again be dictated by where and when you’re going.

What, when and where are you planning on hunting?
Hunting Wyoming mule deer in most likely mid-late October if the seasons stay the same. Still trying to narrow down the specific hunt area but I’d like to stay towards the mountains as opposed to sage country. Still a few years away so we have time to gather what we’d need fortunately

Drenalin

WKR
I used $75 hikers most of the year, so I don't fall into the belief that one needs to go out and buy expensive all leather boots to break in.
I'm not a western hunter, but for hoofing around in the Appalachians all year I've come to the conclusion that I don't care for the stiffer boots geared toward western hunting, regardless of terrain. I'll take the flexibility and more generous toe box of something like Keens or Merrells, knowing I'll have to replace them every 9-12 months.

A couple things that are pretty unique to western hunts, especially if you're talking mule deer in Oct.:
-binos
-spotter
-tripod and bino adapter
-something to sit on
-good boots
-gaiters
-trekking poles
This list is a very good starter, along with a good backpack and rangefinder. A rangefinder with AB in it is even nicer so it calculates your elevation adjustment for you but it's not NEEDED, just nice. Spotting scope can be either needed or unnecessary depending on what class of deer you're looking to kill. If it's just anything legal, the spotter becomes less necessary. I can't stress this enough, do not cheap out on the binos or tripod. You will be spending huge amounts of time looking through the binos and if you get a good tripod you can shoot off of it very solidly.

Hunting Wyoming mule deer in most likely mid-late October if the seasons stay the same.
What kind of hunt? If backpacking in and camping, weight becomes way more of a factor. If you're driving in each day, hunting, and then driving out weight is way less important.

A decent pair of boots, a decent rangefinder, a decent pair of binos and a rifle that shoots less than 2" groups at 100 yards and you could literally have a good hunt every single year by buying the rest of your stuff at the local Walmart....

People overcomplicate rifle hunting.

ORJoe

Lil-Rokslider
Can you find some time to go on a non-hunting vacation there before then? Even just going as a tourist to Yellowstone would be better than waiting until D-Day before actually going there.

Glass, glass, glass. I'd heard it a million times, but didn't appreciate the value of GOOD glass until I went to SW Wyoming this past Sept. Wish I'd have never bought the several pairs of "ok" binoculars and just bought one good pair.

Also, I'm sold on the Altitude Advantage supplement to deal with going from sea level to hiking at 8K feet.

OP
P
This list is a very good starter, along with a good backpack and rangefinder. A rangefinder with AB in it is even nicer so it calculates your elevation adjustment for you but it's not NEEDED, just nice. Spotting scope can be either needed or unnecessary depending on what class of deer you're looking to kill. If it's just anything legal, the spotter becomes less necessary. I can't stress this enough, do not cheap out on the binos or tripod. You will be spending huge amounts of time looking through the binos and if you get a good tripod you can shoot off of it very solidly.

What kind of hunt? If backpacking in and camping, weight becomes way more of a factor. If you're driving in each day, hunting, and then driving out weight is way less important.
Not looking for any B&C records but also don’t want to drive out that far to shoot the first legal buck I see. That being said, I also agree it’s a great list, only thing I’ll have to figure out is my exact hunt type. If we’ll be in timber forest I probably won’t worry as much about a spotter as opposed to the sage country. But would like to find a way to not have to backpack but if that’s our only option that will definitely limit what I take based on weight like you said