My 300 WSM AKA (THE PUG)

archp625

WKR
I wanted to build a short-barreled suppressed 300 WSM for a while. This will be a work in progress. I will be trying a few different suppressors, brass, and powders. The bullet I want to use is the Berger 200x20. I named the project the pug because is short and ugly. HAHA.

Here are the specs at the moment.

Built by Whaley Precision Arms
Ammo by @Unknown Munitions

Bat Bumblebee Action
Carbon Six 20" Sendero Barrel
Manners EH-1
Geissele Super 700 2-Stage Trigger
NF Rings
NX8 4-32
Thunder Beast Ultra 5

c4faed4fcc99555015f1e49e29a0c7e2.jpg
Short and Ugly? More like Short and Sweet. Love this rifle build.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
What would you choose first, RS.3 or RS.5? I like FFP and but not a fan of the exposed windage turret. I am extremely torn which one of those will live on my new 338 RUM.
The RS.5 is my favorite scope from Maven

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
When you did the temp test what was your procedure?
Nothing too scientific. But it seems consistent when I tested H1000 this way the ES was 21.

I throw the bullets in the freezer for a few hours before I go. Then put them in a cooler with ice on the way to the range. Then check the temp with a laser thermometer when I shoot them.

Nothing too scientific. But it seems consistent when I tested H1000 this way the ES was 21.

I throw the bullets in the freezer for a few hours before I go. Then put them in a cooler with ice on the way to the range. Then check the temp with a laser thermometer when I shoot them.
Gotcha. I was curious because when I tested (with a different powder/cartridge) mine actually sped up when it was cold. But my rifle was cold also not just the ammo. 78*-18*.

I gained about 31 fps average for 3 shots when it was cold. Later this year I might test it out on a different rifle/cartridge and see what the results are from cold rifle and ammo, just a cold rifle, and just cold ammo.

Have you ever tested the different scenarios?

Regards,

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Gotcha. I was curious because when I tested (with a different powder/cartridge) mine actually sped up when it was cold. But my rifle was cold also not just the ammo. 78*-18*.

I gained about 31 fps average for 3 shots when it was cold. Later this year I might test it out on a different rifle/cartridge and see what the results are from cold rifle and ammo, just a cold rifle, and just cold ammo.

Have you ever tested the different scenarios?

Regards,
Interesting, never really thought about the barrel being cold and tight.

When I tested VV570 it was cold and I was heating the bullets up with a hand warmer. The cold ammo/barrel was still slower than the warm ammo by around 25 FPS.

It would be interesting to test cold barrel/ammo vs warm barrel/ammo.

sneaky

"DADDY"
RL 26 has some temp issues.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member

Hmm,,,,,,

I went from a safe load in my 30 Nosler to blowing primers and 90 FPS difference with my RL 26

sneaky

"DADDY"
Hmm,,,,,,

I went from a safe load in my 30 Nosler to blowing primers and 90 FPS difference with my RL 26
Did you try any different primers? I think it's sensitive to different primers. Unknown should whip you up some rounds... for science!!

I shot a few rounds from my 6.5 saum loaded with RL26 over my chronograph during that ridiculous heat wave last week.
The load was 2770 at 50 degrees, and 2777 at 94 degrees, I feel this is a much better way to test temp stability verses just freezing or heating up rounds

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I shot a few rounds from my 6.5 saum loaded with RL26 over my chronograph during that ridiculous heat wave last week.
The load was 2770 at 50 degrees, and 2777 at 94 degrees, I feel this is a much better way to test temp stability verses just freezing or heating up rounds
I won't argue that.

Whatcha shooting out of that SAUM, seems very slow.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
9da4d6d9cfaad0b81913c28b50b358a9.jpg

Looks like VV N555 is going to be the powder. Ended up averaging 2875 with several 1/2-5/8 inch five-shot groups. The ES has been constantly around 12. I tried RL 23, damn near filled the case up but the groups size was never under an inch.

This rifle is right on the verge of what I can handle from the long recoil pulse a suppressor has, I can spot my hits past three hundred yards put I have to be fundamentally sound. When I put a TI Pro on it I can pretty much spot everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

madcalfe

WKR
yes, it's very slow. Love to try some VV568....
Hmm ok, that saved me 140$ lol, I have a good load going for my 20” wsm shooting the 178gr eldx at 2920fps with h4350. But thinking I wanna give some 190ABLR a go just trying to figure out a good powder that will get me in that 2875fps range