Nebraska Sandhills

007hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Ive got a muzzleloader hunt planned for this coming December. Having never hunted outside of Pennsylvania, should I get a spotting scope? Or will my 10x42 binos suffice?

I've only ever used a spotting scope to count the points on the rack. If you're just glassing, I think you'd be fine with your binos on a tripod. jmo.

OP

007hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks. I'm not looking for a monster when I go either so I guess I'll save the money and use it to upgrade something else.

OP

007hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I would also consider renting one for a week. If I would end up buying, the budget would be $500ish so alpha glass is out of the question right now.

JCooper

FNG
The Sandhills are an amazing place. Depends on the region you are in you may only be able to see the tops of the hills or might be able to glass 2 miles. FWIW- I would just stick with your binoculars. I own a spotting scope but have only used it glassing the white tails coming off of the river.

WKR
It's unique country to hunt. Glassing is very possible but where I hunt there are so many "pockets" that you can't see into from very far away.

I use a still hunting to spot/stalk combination depending on the terrain and haven't had as much luck glassing.