Need KUIU recommendations

Titaniumman

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking at getting some KUIU clothing for September bowhunting for elk in Montana but am not sure which to get. Cool mornings to warm afternoons, you all know the drill. I'm 6'3" and usually am 230 lbs during bow season, but striving for less (another story altogether). So what weight do you all recommend? How do the sizes run, small, large or spot on? I like First Lite but it just isn't durable (pants) and my nephew things KUIU is the best. Thanks.

For a size reference I'm 6'3" 185lb and wear a size large in kuiu.

Not sure exactly what your looking for? Most people know what gear they need exactly and ask around to see which brand will best suit them best.

Your post is a little bit of the opposite.

For example my torso my layering system is:

Patagonia Merino base layer, Sitka traverse hoody, mountain hardware down jacket, and kuiu chugach NX.

That covers all my mountain hunts in Alaska through september.

Rizzy

WKR
The light weight (135?) base layer will be best for that hunt. I wear mostly a short sleeve and long sleeve base layer that time of year. Get a puffy and a rain top as well and you will be set for anything.

The Kuiu clothing I have fits true to size. It is an athletic fit, but I'm skinny so it isn't as tight as it would be on others.

I really like the attack pants, but having kneepads would have been great for archery hunting last season. I picked up a pair of Kryptek Alios pants from the Amazon sale and really like them. They also have knee pad slots.

The kuiu attack pants are very good for archery and with a little layering you can wear them in some cold temps. So with that a good system would be: attack pants, wool shirts, super down coat and chinook jacket. Add a vest if you wish and use whatever wool tops and bottoms you like best. Good luck.

KUIU is made for the "athletic" build, meaning not much in the way of body fat...the insurance chart weights. So, you will normally need a size larger, but not always. Check out their sizing chart to see what would fit best for you. Try on your nephews clothing if he is close to you in size, or use his sizes as a starting point.

As for what to get, most people use the layering system approach of:

~ A base layer of merino wool, you choose the weight (185, 2xx, etc.) depending on the weather you anticipate. This layer is to wick moisture from your body and to help keep you from getting too cool when not moving too much.

~ An insulating layer to add warmth to your overall system. Most people these days go with a puffy jacket in either a synthetic or down insulation. You can use whatever you want though...a wool sweater, puffy, insulated jacket, etc. You might want to get the same kind of garment for your legs if it will be really cold or if you plan on sitting still for long periods of time.

~ A wind and water resistant outer layer to go over the previous two layers. This can be a softshell material like a guide jacket and attack pants or breathable rain gear.

~ A final outer layer of rain gear, if you don't use it for your third layer, that protect you from heavy rain and winds while keeping in your heat (and maybe moisture too, so you need to choose wisely about when you wear it and what yo are doing).

KUIU and other brands of technical clothing like First Lite, Kryptek, and Sitka Gear all use expensive materials for their clothing which is why the price tag is so much higher than just getting Carharts or the generic brands from Bass Pro or Cabelas. The fabrics are worth it though if you are facing rough weather or conditions. One of KUIUs focuses in their product design is to make it a lightweight (not flimsy) as possible so if weight is not an issue for you then you might be able to find a "good enough" item with another brand that is a bit less.

Like mtnclimber said, many of us wear a mix of different brands since we picked them up over time or went for the best bang for the buck. You can find some good deals on sales at the names listed above. I always check out Cabelas sales and bargain cave...I bought my current puffy jacket there and it cost me less than $100.

Hope this helps,

Larry Schwartz

hunt_or_bust

Lil-Rokslider
Are you going to be in the mountains or near the breaks in the low land areas?
Your elevation and location would help determine what you need...

OP
Titaniumman

Titaniumman

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry, I should have been more specific. I hunt anywhere from 3000' to 8000' depending on where I go. I also am not like a lot of you in that I am not hunting deep in the back country for extended periods of time. I am fine with a good long hike and climbing where the elk may be, but my old bones much prefer returning to camp and all of it's comforts at the end of the day. Too many back surgeries. I do however realize that this is one forum where the members really know their gear, hence my questions. On the website I see seven different versions of KUIU pants. Varying weights as I read it along with their descriptions. I know one specific pair won't cover all the potential conditions I may face. I do layer, and maybe this answers my own question, so lighter makes more sense to me. Just thought I'd ask the "experts".

Jcberg

Lil-Rokslider
6'1" 215lbs and I wear an XL in everything Kuiu but it's not loose! Absolutely love the attack pants and long sleeve merino wool. Yukon gaiters are a really nice addition for wet grass. Guide vest is also awesome and I would highly recommend. Can't go wrong with anything Kuiu. Only clothing I would not buy would be the socks. I think Darn Tough socks with a Bridgedale liner sock are the ultimate combo for feet. Kuiu Chugach rain gear is excellent also and I've had great customer service from Kuiu on several occasions.

Kotaman

WKR
We're close to the same size, you are an inch taller. I wouldn't say I am an athletic build but I'm in good enough shape to hunt the mountains. You are going to need XXL Tops and Jackets. I am a 38 inch waist in most of my "other" pants and a 38 in the Attacks fits me perfect. The lightweight Tiburons run a little smaller to me, so I size up in those. The Chinook pants fit slightly larger than my Attacks in 38. If you want a lined pant, the Guides are nice and to me, may fit a hair smaller than my Attacks. Personally, I size up in the Guide (for layering) and Tiburon and wear my jean size in Attacks and Chinooks. The only pair of KUIU pants I don't own are the Alpine, because they aren't out yet. (but I do have them ordered)

You can't beat the Attacks for an all purpose pant. Start with the baselayers of your choice. Add a pair of Attack Pants and a Guide Jacket and you'll be good to go for starters. If you want some insulation add a Kenai or Super Down jacket for warmth. The new Kenai is extremely versatile but doesn't pack as well as the Super Down.

LJ Buck

WKR
I like the Chinooks. Best pant KUIU makes IMO. THey replaced my Attacks this past fall.

We're close to the same size, you are an inch taller. I wouldn't say I am an athletic build but I'm in good enough shape to hunt the mountains. You are going to need XXL Tops and Jackets. I am a 38 inch waist in most of my "other" pants and a 38 in the Attacks fits me perfect. The lightweight Tiburons run a little smaller to me, so I size up in those. The Chinook pants fit slightly larger than my Attacks in 38. If you want a lined pant, the Guides are nice and to me, may fit a hair smaller than my Attacks. Personally, I size up in the Guide (for layering) and Tiburon and wear my jean size in Attacks and Chinooks. The only pair of KUIU pants I don't own are the Alpine, because they aren't out yet. (but I do have them ordered)

You can't beat the Attacks for an all purpose pant. Start with the baselayers of your choice. Add a pair of Attack Pants and a Guide Jacket and you'll be good to go for starters. If you want some insulation add a Kenai or Super Down jacket for warmth. The new Kenai is extremely versatile but doesn't pack as well as the Super Down.

Would you recommend an XXL in the guide jacket as well? My chest and shoulders are pretty big so I'm a little concerned about the XXL working well with multiple layers.

jmez

WKR
Sizing is all over the place, all depends on how you are built. I'm 6' 205. Wear a 34 inch waist in jeans. Have Attack pants in 36 and contemplated sending them back for a 38. I kept them but they fit a little close for my taste but think the 38 would be too big. 37 would be perfect so pants are up a size and a half for me.

For a September elk hunt if you're stuck on Kuiu gear I'd look at the Attack pants, the merino tops in two weights (light and heavy), and a Superdown jacket. As others have said Kuiu tends to offer a more athletic fit -- so think slim fitting and tighter. You may want to go a size up from normal or you may like a more snug fit.

Rizzy

WKR
With the attack pants keep in mind that they stretch. After a day of use in the field mine seem a size bigger...

boom

WKR
My jeans are a loose 36. My attack pants had a hand written tag (factory seconds) calling them a 35. They fit loosely everywhere. I bet I could get into a 34. With one merino layer I can't imagine needing more cold protection.

nsedillo

FNG
Titanium man,

If you are set on kuiu, I'd reconsider the chinook for the guide. Note: I do not own a chinook but will be purchasing rather soon. The reason? Quite simply, the guide is too hot for that early in the season, plan to take it off everyday around an hour or two after sunrise. In the past two years I have never worn my guide jacket prior till mid October, but the same has always happened to me. Jacket must come off after an hour or two after the Suns up., even on a january day. That is with only merino layer on btw... I would recommend, three setups to choose from: the 145 merino, 210 merino, and the chinook; 145 merino, tiburon top, and chinook; 145 merino, sd vest, and chinook. All assuming, you have your rain gear covered and this is primarily meant for September. Hope I was helpful.

Kotaman

WKR
Would you recommend an XXL in the guide jacket as well? My chest and shoulders are pretty big so I'm a little concerned about the XXL working well with multiple layers.

If you want to layer with the "new" Guide Jacket, you may need XXXL. I actually ended up going XXXL in the Kenai. My Spindrift, Yukon and Chugach are XL, my Superdown (3) and Guide are XXL and my Kenai is XXXL! How's that for consistent sizing. I have XL jackets (one being the Yukon) that are larger than my XXXL Kenai.

For september elk

First lite marino long sleeve
first lite puffy jacket
kuiu rain jacket

kuiu attack pants
kuiu rain pants

That would be my ideal setup

OP
Titaniumman

Titaniumman

Lil-Rokslider
Has anybody had any experience with the First Lite Kanab pants? I haven't owned them but I have heard some of the older ones didn't hold up well.