Need Suppressor Recommendation

jmillr1

WKR
I've been looking through the forum trying to research backcountry hunting suppressors. Does anyone have any recomendations for a 300 PRC hunting rifle that will also be used in Texas on an AR10 (.308) platform for hogs/whitetail?

I've also been seeing varying customer reviews from the different silencer storefronts (Silencer Central, Silencer Shop etc...) and was wondering if there were any recommendations as far as those places go as well.

I appreciate the input.

WKR
Most people like/recommend what they have, which is a recommendation of sorts in that you will probably like whatever you get, even if its a Banish 30.

As far as places to buy, definitely try local first. See what they have, what they can get, or what their transfer fee is.

Geewhiz

WKR
You want quieter/longer/heavier, loudest/shortest/lightest, or somewhere in between?

At this point in my suppressor buying career I am buying for maximum suppression and for a 30 cal can that fits that description, might I suggest a TBAC ultra 9, DD enticer LTI, DA Nomad L, OCL Hydrogen, or AB raptor 10?

Don't buy a banish 30.

OP
jmillr1

jmillr1

WKR
You want quieter/longer/heavier, loudest/shortest/lightest, or somewhere in between?

At this point in my suppressor buying career I am buying for maximum suppression and for a 30 cal can that fits that description, might I suggest a TBAC ultra 9, DD enticer LTI, DA Nomad L, or AB raptor 10?
I'll research those as well. Thanks for the rec

Geewhiz

WKR
I'll research those as well. Thanks for the rec
The suppressor market is silly right now and there are lots of great cans available at a good value, just need to decide exactly what it is that you're looking for.

OP
jmillr1

jmillr1

WKR
The suppressor market is silly right now and there are lots of great cans available at a good value, just need to decide exactly what it is that you're looking for.
Yea its a bit overwhelming. I'd say something in between.

Check out the Pew Research suppressor data as well. I found it helpful to create my own spreadsheet to compare cost, the Pew decibel suppression ratings, length, diameter, weight, materials, mounting methods, etc.

If you're using it on a gas gun and plan to send a lot of rounds through it in a short amount of time, titanium might not be the best material.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I've been looking at that Scythe Ti tonight? Good/bad?
The Scythe Ti is popular, I have a Raptor 8, but literally just picked it up today. The Scythe Ti was not an option when I bought, I want a Scythe Ti, my decision boiled down to the Raptor 8 or the Hyperion K.

With a 5 inch reflex, the Raptor 10 would be my choice for a 300 PRC. My thought is burning that much powder you want as much volume as possible. The limit is you need a 22 inch barrel, so it will be a long package. Looks like the Scythe needs a 24 inch barrel for 30 cal magnums.

Edit: 3 people have pointed out that the Scythe does not have a barrel length restriction. The horse was dead after one.

Last edited:
I have a Nomad TI and a shorter/louder CZ TI which is the same as the AB Raptor 6.

If I bought another it would definitely be larger for more suppression in the Nomad L / Hyperion zone on PewScience. I personally don’t see the point if you don’t go at least Scythe / Nomad TI size.

Grundy53

WKR
The Scythe Ti is popular, I have a Raptor 8, but literally just picked it up today. The Scythe Ti was not an option when I bought, I want a Scythe Ti, my decision boiled down to the Raptor 8 or the Hyperion K.

With a 5 inch reflex, the Raptor 10 would be my choice for a 300 PRC. My thought is burning that much powder you want as much volume as possible. The limit is you need a 22 inch barrel, so it will be a long package. Looks like the Scythe needs a 24 inch barrel for 30 cal magnums.
There are no barrel restrictions for the Scythe Ti. The 24" is just the length of the barrel they did the decibel reading with.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Well I shoot my scythe on my 20" 300 PRC with hottish handloads frequently and havent had an issue, it says on their website no barrel length restrictions. And the scythe makes that gun quiet enough that it seems hearing safe, but i dont have the equipment or knowledge to really know that for sure i suppose

TheHammer

WKR
On my dd5 I have a griffin 300 sportsman ultralight and it’s the quietest can I have, but also the longest. I would Recommend an omega 300 with flush mount end caps for your application. The scythe is a fantastic option and for hunting purposes I think it’s the best currently, I enjoy all my cans, plenty of great options out there. Good luck.

**Also a side note. Anyone contemplating an sme for a 223. On my mk18 it reduced 11decibels to the shooters ear and on my carbine it was 11.5 decibels quieter. Well worth the $$ imo.

Last edited:
OP
jmillr1

jmillr1

WKR
Well I shoot my scythe on my 20" 300 PRC with hottish handloads frequently and havent had an issue, it says on their website no barrel length restrictions. And the scythe makes that gun quiet enough that it seems hearing safe, but i dont have the equipment or knowledge to really know that for sure i suppose
Thats exactly what I wanted to know about it. My barrel is 22 inch