Suppressor tips?

wesfromky

WKR
3 questions
1. What happens if you move and or move to a different state during the process? Im a nurse by trade and might do a travel gig next year. I would keep my physical address. Can the suppressor be shipped to the state I’m working? (If legal there). Or maybe my parents place which is in Ohio? (I’m in WV)

2. Trust- I think I get the gist of it. Someone on it can use it? I’m single, my parents are older, and while my step dad is a gun nerd. He doesn’t shoot rifles. And my daughter would have no interest in it. I know this is a selling point silencer central likes to show off as they offer it “free”. Anybody else offer them as well?

3. Direct thread is just what it says? Screws on the barrel.
If you have someone trustworthy in your current state, add them to your trust when you submit. They can pick it up, and get it to you if you have moved. If not, then you would need to resubmit if you have moved out of state. In state is OK.

You can add people to your trust post approval, but not while you are waiting. There are a few options with trusts, silencer shop/national gun trusts/etc. I chose to use a single trust per item, so I can add responsable parties to just one suppressor if I want, and it will not impact any new NFA items I buy. The down side is I will end up with multiple trusts to keep track of.

Samson7x

WKR
If you don’t establish permanent residency in whatever state you are working, you will be fine. Forms have to match license and license will have permanent address. That will match the 4473 once approved. Had this happen while getting my doctorate out of state, no issues.

tony

WKR
If you don’t establish permanent residency in whatever state you are working, you will be fine. Forms have to match license and license will have permanent address. That will match the 4473 once approved. Had this happen while getting my doctorate out of state, no issues.
Yeah, I’d more than likely keep my cheap tiny apt. in WV while traveling.

So with the trust I’d have to get prints from everyone to be on it? I guess the only one I really need is my daughter in case something would happen to me. She’s out of state though. I’ll need to research this a little more.

Samson7x

WKR

So with the trust I’d have to get prints from everyone to be on it? I guess the only one I really need is my daughter in case something would happen to me. She’s out of state though. I’ll need to research this a little more.

Yes, would need prints/photo of all trustees. You don't need a trust to pass to heirs. In the event of death, can transfer items tax free on Form 5. She would need to live in an NFA friendly state though.

atmat

WKR

You can always order your suppressors and add your children as trustees later. That’s what I did. You will not require fingerprinting them or anything until you go to buy another one.

The beautiful part of a trust is you can just add/remove trustees whenever you want.

Bluefish

WKR
You can always order your suppressors and add your children as trustees later. That’s what I did. You will not require fingerprinting them or anything until you go to buy another one.

The beautiful part of a trust is you can just add/remove trustees whenever you want.
Pretty sure the full submission is now required to add someone to a trust. was considered a loophole to avoid having to provide fingerprints and thus changed.

atmat

WKR
Pretty sure the full submission is now required to add someone to a trust. was considered a loophole to avoid having to provide fingerprints and thus changed.

wesfromky

WKR
As noted above - this is simply not true. You can add a responsible person to the trust without submitting to the atf. However, once they are added, they would need to be on any new submissions to add nfa items to the trust.

Bluefish

WKR
As noted above - this is simply not true. You can add a responsible person to the trust without submitting to the atf. However, once they are added, they would need to be on any new submissions to add nfa items to the trust.
so why not remove them before a submission, then add again after so you don’t have to submit all the stuff for each person? Really it’s not hard once all of the data is digital, but why bother with having to send it in if you can freely add or remove RP’s.

atmat

WKR
so why not remove them before a submission, then add again after so you don’t have to submit all the stuff for each person? Really it’s not hard once all of the data is digital, but why bother with having to send it in if you can freely add or remove RP’s.
There’s nothing stopping someone from doing that.

Kerbs

FNG
You can add people to your trust post approval, but not while you are waiting. There are a few options with trusts, silencer shop/national gun trusts/etc. I chose to use a single trust per item, so I can add responsable parties to just one suppressor if I want, and it will not impact any new NFA items I buy. The down side is I will end up with multiple trusts to keep track of.
I sort of get the logic here, I guess, but this sounds like an administrative nightmare. I have a trust as well as an LLC and even that is a pita. Guess I don't ever see a situation where I would add someone to just a single item but I don't loan out my stuff for many reasons.

Bluefish

WKR
I sort of get the logic here, I guess, but this sounds like an administrative nightmare. I have a trust as well as an LLC and even that is a pita. Guess I don't ever see a situation where I would add someone to just a single item but I don't loan out my stuff for many reasons.
It’s an easy way to add people without going through the fingerprint/photo process. You could simply do a single trust, then add anyone you hunt with and then they could use your silencer to hunt. No 9 month wait or other bs.

I thought that was no longer an option, but as others have pointed out, it is. Although in my defense the atf says every RP has to have a form 5320-23, yet also say if just being added to a trust it’s not required until a new submission.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
This is why I do a single shot trust for every suppressor I purchase from Silencer Shop. Easy to add a trustee with just a witness and notary public.

atmat

WKR
This is why I do a single shot trust for every suppressor I purchase from Silencer Shop. Easy to add a trustee with just a witness and notary public.

It’s the same for a general trust with all your suppressors.

wesfromky

WKR
Yeah, I will have multiple trusts to keep track off, but since they are all digital, it isn't too bad. Really, just different trade offs. I don't have a wife or kids, so my stuff will get scattered around to a number of people. It is pretty straight forward to just have a beneficiary for each item/trust. Other people probably have different situations, so might not be right for them.

In addition to being able to allow someone legal access to one my silencers, it might also come into play should I decide to sell one - I can add the buyer as a responsible person and beneficiary so they can take possession right away while the form 4 is being processed. And, if I have loaned out something, I am still free to have a few drinks and buy a new nfa item without having to have their prints or having to remove them from the trust and put them into legal jeopardy.

B23

WKR
Probably the biggest "tip" I'd pass along to anyone thinking about purchasing a suppressor is, don't wait or hesitate or get overwhelmed by the process, just do it and get going on your purchase.

I wasted probably at least two years thinking the whole purchase process and the trust thing and dealing with the ATF was going to be a big deal. When I finally decided to stop thinking/talking about and just do it I was shocked at how simple and easy it was and felt pretty silly I hadn't done it sooner. Back when I bought my first cans you didn't have to do the fingerprint or picture deal like you do now but they also didn't have it, like they do now, where you can purchase one through certain dealers online where they setup and walk you through the process step by step then ship it directly to you when your form comes back approved which is a nice feature if you don't have a shop in your local area that has what you want.

The best "tip" you'll get is don't wait, get going on it today! In six to twelve months you'll thank me. :)

peaches

Lil-Rokslider
Actually there are many reasons to choose a U7 over an R2. According to the "silencer summit" testing, on a 308 bolt rifle and measurements taken at shooters ear, the U7 was 133.09 dB, R2 was 133.94 dB. So basically no perceptible difference. Actual weights were U7 at 10.06oz and R2 at 19.86oz. Lengths were U7 at 7" and R2 at 8.28". So the R2 is almost twice the weight, over an inch longer, and with a less efficient baffle stack. I don't think you will convince anyone here that an R2 is a better can than the U7 for hunting applications. YHM isn't known for precision either. They're QD system is quite clunky, although I'm a fan of it for AR's. I say all of this as a YHM owner.
Couples days late here, but your numbers for the R2 must include the quick detach mount. I run my R2 direct thread and it is just over 6 inches and 15 oz. No, not a featherweight but it is only 2 oz heavier than other 'light' cans such as an EVO when the mounts are included. It is also full auto rated, and there are no poi or precision issues swapping between any of my rifles.

Unckebob

WKR
If it is a hunting can, prioritize weight and size.

If I had to do it over again, I would get an all titanium can.