Nest and tarp combination

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone run just a nest most of the time and then tarp over it if the weather moves in?? Like to see some setup photos if anyone is doing that.
Thanks!

Randy

NVVAHunt

Lil-Rokslider
I was wondering if anyone had also. I’ve got a 1/2 nest for my cimarron and wanted to try pairing it with a tarp for summer camping. Haven’t given it a shot yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
mtnwrunner

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm going to be trying the combo out on some backcountry trips this summer.

Randy

NVVAHunt

Lil-Rokslider
Let me know how it goes. Going to be getting a tarp and trying some different pitches with it to see if I can get it to work

Any chance you could share some photos of a tarp pitch that works for you? Could help take some time off the learning curve.

sorry,no pictures .Its dead simple .I have A S. O. 10' X 10' with a pocket for a center pole.
I pitch the tarp taking terrain and expected weather into account and put the nest under it

*zap*

WKR
If you have a tent inner that is mostly mesh you could get you a big enough tarp and give it a try. I do that setup when it is real hot and I am camping...to many snakes/bugs to not use a floored/sealed shelter around here plus my doggie needs to be contained while I snooze. If it is not very hot/humid I use a smaller tarp over the tent fly doors so I can leave them open in a rain.

20230608_221042.jpg

I would suggest considering a large enough tarp to give adequate shelter and a bit of headroom no matter what you do. Catenary cut may be a good option, but I think you need to try different tarps and see what works best. Good luck.

Last edited: