New Elk Gun

Bought a savage switchback yesterday in 6.5 CM. When getting the scope mounted the guy told me that the largest thing you could kill with 6.5 CM is a Caribou.

From what I’ve read the 6.5 CM is capable of taking down an Elk but wanted to gauge what all your thoughts were?

Thanks I’m advance for any feedback!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jofes

WKR
Shot a large cow in WY this last fall with a 6.5 creed pushing 143 eldx's. At 80 yards blew the top of her heart off and she rolled 20 yards. I saw multiple other elk killed the same day with 300 win mags and they actually produced an exit wound.
Yes you can kill and elk with a 6.5, I would just be very cautious of the shots you take and if I could do it over again I would go with a barnes lrx.
This fall I'll be toting a 300 wsm.20201015_081506.jpg

OP
C
Shot a large cow in WY this last fall with a 6.5 creed pushing 143 eldx's. At 80 yards blew the top of her heart off and she rolled 20 yards. I saw multiple other elk killed the same day with 300 win mags and they actually produced an exit wound.
Yes you can kill and elk with a 6.5, I would just be very cautious of the shots you take and if I could do it over again I would go with a barnes lrx.
This fall I'll be toting a 300 wsm.View attachment 275543

That’s for the feedback! The guy actually told me that he was waiting for 300 win mag to come in. At that point the transaction was already done and rifle was purchased.

bsnedeker

WKR
The guy mounting your scope doesn't know what he's talking about. I wouldn't be shooting over 400 yards with a 6.5 and no frontal shots that might run into the front shoulder but if you stay within the limitations of the cartridge you can kill anything in north America with a 6.5. It's not even worth debating at this point, it's been proven countless times.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
C
The guy mounting your scope doesn't know what he's talking about. I wouldn't be shooting over 400 yards with a 6.5 and no frontal shots that might run into the front shoulder but if you stay within the limitations of the cartridge you can kill anything in north America with a 6.5. It's not even worth debating at this point, it's been proven countless times.

Thanks man! Bought the rifle mainly for my son to hunt with and figured if it was a round that would cover mule deer, antelope, elk then I might as well get it.

Went there wanting a tikka and the sales man talked me into a savage that is on the heavier side so was having all around buyers remorse but too late to turn back now

OP
C
f6cb97904bdb031170b64a6ee347e644.jpg

Buck197

WKR
Thanks man! Bought the rifle mainly for my son to hunt with and figured if it was a round that would cover mule deer, antelope, elk then I might as well get it.

Went there wanting a tikka and the sales man talked me into a savage that is on the heavier side so was having all around buyers remorse but too late to turn back now

that sounds like a fantastic excuse to own another gun. I'm not sure I could sell that to the better half, however if I wanted a Tikka and he switched me to a savage, I think I'd go back and get the tikka too..then again don't listen to me and my searching for excuses to buy another, im a moron haha. I have not jumped on the 6.5 bandwagon by any means, if so it'd be the 6.5prc. However everything that I've read says it's the.mpst efficient cartridge. The better halfs son got him one and it shoots real nice. Plenty of elk have fallen to a .243, while that's definitely on the light side, use some smarts and I think that 6.5 will get the job done for you, id just personally steer clear of long shots, but thats me.

OP
C
that sounds like a fantastic excuse to own another gun. I'm not sure I could sell that to the better half, however if I wanted a Tikka and he switched me to a savage, I think I'd go back and get the tikka too..then again don't listen to me and my searching for excuses to buy another, im a moron haha. I have not jumped on the 6.5 bandwagon by any means, if so it'd be the 6.5prc. However everything that I've read says it's the.mpst efficient cartridge. The better halfs son got him one and it shoots real nice. Plenty of elk have fallen to a .243, while that's definitely on the light side, use some smarts and I think that 6.5 will get the job done for you, id just personally steer clear of long shots, but thats me.

I think that is a great idea! Go back and pick up a 300 win mag for myself

It was easier to justify the cheaper gun since it left room to get a higher quality scope but the heavier gun is going to wear us out on long hikes

Buck197

WKR

It was easier to justify the cheaper gun since it left room to get a higher quality scope but the heavier gun is going to wear us out on long hikes

I JUST jumped on the Tikka bandwagon a few weeks ago after being raised in a Browning household, I like it alot, it sure ain't a pretty gun, but it shoots well, it's plenty light enuff for me and it's got a nice little trigger out of the box. I am literally sitting here the past week or so going through my head about buying another Tikka for a project gun and semi customizing it. A 300. is one of the great rounds for out West, but personally I'd say it's not for everyone. I've shot em and don't have any issue with them, but if you've not shot a big magnum, my personal

A heavier gun will sure add up. There's alot of great calibers, .300 being one of the greats for factory. Have you shot a .300 before? If not it wouldn't hurt to see if someone you knows has one and putting a handful of rounds downrange first. I am pretty sure you'd be fine with it, but better safe than sorry, as their is quite a bit of recoil to it. That said a 300 is a boss of a round, but if it is tougher for you to shoot you have quite a bit of other caliber options that'll fit your needs. I'm not trying to discourage at all, just saying it never hurts to be safe and make sure recoil wise. Me as I'm getting older, I can shoot a .300, ive owned em before, but now I'd just prefer not to, I can get it done with something a little easier so I do, personal.choice.

Forest

WKR
"Could" and "should" are two totally different things. I've seen a 6.5cm kill a cow, dead is dead right? Good bullet and short ranges it'll be ok, shot placement is key. That said it can think of a ton of calibers I would much rather have in the elk woods. I've seen/had poor shot placement with both small and bigger guns, not hard to figure out which one is more forgiving and was more effective. None of us want that to happen, but it just does.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

OP
C
I JUST jumped on the Tikka bandwagon a few weeks ago after being raised in a Browning household, I like it alot, it sure ain't a pretty gun, but it shoots well, it's plenty light enuff for me and it's got a nice little trigger out of the box. I am literally sitting here the past week or so going through my head about buying another Tikka for a project gun and semi customizing it. A 300. is one of the great rounds for out West, but personally I'd say it's not for everyone. I've shot em and don't have any issue with them, but if you've not shot a big magnum, my personal
A heavier gun will sure add up. There's alot of great calibers, .300 being one of the greats for factory. Have you shot a .300 before? If not it wouldn't hurt to see if someone you knows has one and putting a handful of rounds downrange first. I am pretty sure you'd be fine with it, but better safe than sorry, as their is quite a bit of recoil to it. That said a 300 is a boss of a round, but if it is tougher for you to shoot you have quite a bit of other caliber options that'll fit your needs. I'm not trying to discourage at all, just saying it never hurts to be safe and make sure recoil wise. Me as I'm getting older, I can shoot a .300, ive owned em before, but now I'd just prefer not to, I can get it done with something a little easier so I do, personal.choice.

I haven’t shot a 300. before but I can’t imagine that it could be worse then the 450 bushmaster but I might be completely off!

OP
C
Will a 6.5 CM kill elk? Yes. Provided you don’t try real long shots or hard angles. Now go buy another rifle because we all think it’s the right thing to do.

I think another gun is a great idea!

OP
C
"Could" and "should" are two totally different things. I've seen a 6.5cm kill a cow, dead is dead right? Good bullet and short ranges it'll be ok, shot placement is key. That said it can think of a ton of calibers I would much rather have in the elk woods. I've seen/had poor shot placement with both small and bigger guns, not hard to figure out which one is more forgiving and was more effective. None of us want that to happen, but it just does.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

That’s a fair assessment for sure! Maybe we will stick to muleys, speed goats and caribou

Just need to grab a larger caliber for the elk and moose lol

Jbehredt

WKR

And I’d follow the same protocol even if I was toting a 300 win..... so there’s that.

Vandal 44

WKR
I shot this spike with a Savage 6.5 creedmore. I think you should be fine with a 6.5 out to 300 yards. I am not a gun guy so take it for what’s worth
ca1a2bdfb40146b3cd1b54f65d015bf4.jpg

Buffinnut

Lil-Rokslider
I haven’t shot a 300. before but I can’t imagine that it could be worse then the 450 bushmaster but I might be completely off!

A quick Internet search said 15-20 ft. Lbs for 450 bushmaster
23-26 for 300 win mag

Fordguy

WKR
Mileage will vary if you're trying to compare the 450 bushmaster to the 300wm. Personally, I think the 450 is a kitten, but I was raised in a shotgun only area using slugs in 6 lb 12 and 20 gauges. Weight of the rifle will make a big difference in felt recoil and if you're willing to carry around an extra 1 or 2 lbs of weight and you're that sensitive you might want to do so. Personally I don't notice recoil much when I'm actually hunting. I do sometimes add weight for bench shooting though.

DRock1986

FNG
You can never go wrong with a 30Cal! Have a 300 PRC with a TA Terminator break and the recoil is next to nothing sitting at sub 10lbs total gun weight.