New shooting bags (front and rear) from S2H

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I’ve gotten quite a few questions about a couple of bags I had in a picture.

A new rear bag and a waxed and heavy Molinator-
IMG_6918.jpeg

The light Molinator is a dang near perfect backpack field bag-
IMG_6938.jpeg

It’s less than 5oz (wet and muddy)-
IMG_6946.jpeg

It straps into the back compressions straps on a pack near perfect (there’s a slightly modified version coming that is better for this)-
IMG_6950.jpeg

It works as a rear bag too, but is quite fantastic as a front bag-
IMG_6948.jpeg

The waxed version is just a more stable and heavier/slicker version. For range shooting it is what I wanted-

IMG_6825.jpeg

Cont….

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
The second bag is the rear bag I wanted. A rear bag for field shooting on animals that move, and where positions are often ad hoc and forced, should be flexible and adaptable, and not overly rigid.

Most rear bags are way too stiff/over filled. On a bench or a perfect flat range a harder bag seems more stable while aiming- and it can be. At least before the shot breaks. However once recoil hits, stiff bags tend to cause jumps in the reticle similar to what shooting off a hard rear rest does. In essence the rear bag is controlling all of the weight of the rear end, which means the shooter is just along for the ride.

But in the field, from field positions that aren’t perfect, and are often at odd angles; and especially with targets that move- overstuffed, hard bags severally limit the movement that the rear of the gun can make. That means much more of the elevation must come from the front rest- whatever that is. The front is the slowest place to make adjustments regardless if it’s a bipod or a pack. And while on a perfect flat range a stiffer bag can work and seems like a good idea, for dynamic field shooting it’s a hindrance, not a help.
You want to be controlling the gun, not you hanging onto to the gun, or some other item controlling it. The rear bag is there to support you in controlling the rifle, not to control it by itself. At that, the rear bag should have some give in it, should be multi sided, and should be light and relatively flexible. A more flexible bag where the shooter is controlling the height of the butt, and where the bag is just supporting the rear hand allows the rifle to recoil neutrally and consistently. It makes tracking easier, and consequently makes spotting one’s own shot easier with lighter rifles.

There is a rear bag that I have that is great- now. When new it was hard as a brick with probably 95% fill and while though it would be great, it sucked for shooting for the reasons mentioned above. After being constantly used for close to a decade as a front bag, it is now about 50% fill, and is very useful for a rear bag. But no one has time to spend beating on a bag to get it right, and I needed more bags. I also was being asked how to get the same rear bag I have. So, I asked Ryan and Jake to make me one.

Enter, the Jellyfish. It’s a simple rectangle bag that is approximately 65% filled. It measures something like 7”x5.5”x2.5”.

It’s flexible and versatile. It can be used flat-

IMG_6951.jpeg

Horizontally-
IMG_6954.jpeg

Vertically (it’s kind of rolled over here)-
IMG_6953.jpeg

Folded-
IMG_6952.jpeg

And the normal support where you squeeze the middle with your offhand. It also can slide over the barrel and forend and make a good field front rest. It’s nothing magical, just a light, adaptable bag that does what a rear bag should do.

ljalberta

WKR
I have a TAB Str8laced which might be the previously mentioned bag. The good thing about the them is the fill they use can take the bag from 95% filled to 60% filled with about 3 minutes of stepping on it. I haven’t had it long term, so it may also be a detriment if it deflates itself to 30%, but TAB used to (and maybe still does) refill them for free.

What's the fill type/weight? I've just started playing with my first "real" bag from armageddon gear and already noticing how much it improves my shooting. I filled mine with a probably 65/35 mix of git-lite/sand and it's probably 80-85% full.

The second bag is the rear bag I wanted. A rear bag for field shooting on animals that move, and where positions are often ad hoc and forced, should be flexible and adaptable, and not overly rigid.

Most rear bags are way too stiff/over filled. On a bench or a perfect flat range a harder bag seems more stable while aiming- and it can be. At least before the shot breaks. However once recoil hits, stiff bags tend to cause jumps in the reticle similar to what shooting off a hard rear rest does. In essence the rear bag is controlling all of the weight of the rear end, which means the shooter is just along for the ride.

But in the field, from field positions that aren’t perfect, and are often at odd angles; and especially with targets that move- overstuffed, hard bags severally limit the movement that the rear of the gun can make. That means much more of the elevation must come from the front rest- whatever that is. The front is the slowest place to make adjustments regardless if it’s a bipod or a pack. And while on a perfect flat range a stiffer bag can work and seems like a good idea, for dynamic field shooting it’s a hindrance, not a help.
You want to be controlling the gun, not you hanging onto to the gun, or some other item controlling it. The rear bag is there to support you in controlling the rifle, not to control it by itself. At that, the rear bag should have some give in it, should be multi sided, and should be light and relatively flexible. A more flexible bag where the shooter is controlling the height of the butt, and where the bag is just supporting the rear hand allows the rifle to recoil neutrally and consistently. It makes tracking easier, and consequently makes spotting one’s own shot easier with lighter rifles.

There is a rear bag that I have that is great- now. When new it was hard as a brick with probably 95% fill and while though it would be great, it sucked for shooting for the reasons mentioned above. After being constantly used for close to a decade as a front bag, it is now about 50% fill, and is very useful for a rear bag. But no one has time to spend beating on a bag to get it right, and I needed more bags. I also was being asked how to get the same rear bag I have. So, I asked Ryan and Jake to make me one.

Enter, the Jellyfish. It’s a simple rectangle bag that is approximately 65% filled. It measures something like 7”x5.5”x2.5”.

View attachment 682876

Horizontally-
View attachment 682880

View attachment 682878

Folded-
View attachment 682879

And the normal support where you squeeze the middle with your offhand. It also can slide over the barrel and forend and make a good field front rest. It’s nothing magical, just a light, adaptable bag that does what a rear bag should do.

Form what is that material you have on the comb of your stock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ShootOkHuntWorse

Lil-Rokslider
Form have you used spec-lite 5064? I’ve been using it in a sock and it’s extremely light but not sure how it compared to gitlite since I’ve never used it.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Form have you used spec-lite 5064? I’ve been using it in a sock and it’s extremely light but not sure how it compared to gitlite since I’ve never used it.

I haven’t really paid attention what specific types of fill on bags. Good bags are good, small difference don’t make large changes.

slowelk

WKR
I agree that a lot of bags are overfilled. I returned the Molinator I ordered because it was too filled. My Molinator was also over the advertised weight by 30%. The weight dishonesty was not the issue for me, it was that it was too stiff.

That rear bag looks just like the LS Wild 2-5 bag which is my favorite field rear bag.

2y2c

FNG
Get those guys to make a light fill molinator in waxed canvas, too!

Does it really make much of a difference for your shooting off of an ammo can to use the heavy more stable version versus the light field one? Or is it just more convenient to have the best tool for each situation?

I have a Wiebad rear bag and I had to stomp on it and fold it over a bunch before it was usable at all, and it’s still too overstuffed for my liking.

2y2c

FNG
What’s the purpose of putting leather on your cheek rest? I first saw that on a gunwerks stock, and they did it on the grip too. I thought it was for the cool factor. Is there more to it?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Bags are personal preference and use specific.

That fill is very similar to GitLite, but barely less stiff. Not sure that you would see a huge difference.

The heavier fill the more stability you will get. Sand is the most stable. The fluffy fill is least stable, but it doesn’t matter in many situations.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I agree that a lot of bags are overfilled. I returned the Molinator I ordered because it was too filled. My Molinator was also over the advertised weight by 30%. The weight dishonesty was not the issue for me, it was that it was too stiff.

That rear bag looks just like the LS Wild 2-5 bag which is my favorite field rear bag.
The fill density is a personal preference, but if it is overfilled, a bag loses a lot of its utility.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

View attachment 682876

Horizontally-
View attachment 682880

View attachment 682878

Folded-
View attachment 682879

I’m so happy you left that sticker on there!!! 🤣🤣🤣