Tip suggestion: seated shots?

highwall

FNG
I hunt open country with old, long-barreled, open-sight rifles that I don’t trust beyond 100 yards. I stalk as close as possible and then use this pair of adjustable shooting stick/bipod things whenever possible from a kneeling position. But I don’t know how much my experience is worth to you folks shooting ~400 yards in the mountains.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Awesome shot and if that works for you, great. But I see two massive tripods. That’s not gonna work for me. See points one and two above.
The second tripod in the video is my buddy's. I only carry one tripod, and only shot off one tripod in my video.

Building a stable shooting position is learning how to use what is around you to do one of two things:

1: support the rifle
2: support your body

Even though it is contrived competition in many ways, participating in the half day local matches will show you a tremendous amount of what can be done. Use your own rifle, and go for the practice making the first shot. Watch everyone else, and get ideas.

Form gave one of the other options with a tripod, and others commented on it later. They are versatile in many ways.

Remember the saying, fear the man with one gun? I say fear the man with one “shooting position” because he knows how to use it. Learning how to use a tripod is that way for me. From pretty much any height, at any angle, and any ground condition I can set up fast and shoot confidently. I use my tripod and practice with it. I can deploy from my pack to shooting very fast.

If you are practicing with gear other than a tripod, you will have to be making many decisions how to modify and they won't have the flexibility that a tripod does. In the end, I can use my tripod from prone to standing, as long as I can get the three legs down.

What happens if your pack is 6 inches too short?
What if the shoot angle is down and you are shooting from the side of a mountain sloping down to the left?

As to weight, how much does a typical tripod/bipod combo weigh that people carry in the field? I would say that it is very possible that my load out is less weight than others with bipod and tripod.

One way to look at it is: How much weight do you have allocated to precision shooting? I think that you can find a suitable tripod to shoot off of within your specs and shoot over sage. Distance you want to reach to also matters.

My load out with my tripod and head is 4.25 pounds and you could get a lower weight tripod kit and still use your tripod in the way that I have learned how. I choose to put more weight into my tripod and leave the bipod. I also want more confidence and a more stable tripod helps with that.

The possibilities are endless how to build a position. But, shooting over sage, and making 400 yard shots is completely doable and can be "automatic" standing off a solid tripod for you and a good rifle system. I think there is a way for you to build out a system that makes a tripod your go to. I know top level shooters that won’t go without one. I also know others who don’t rely on one.

Lawnboi

WKR
You need to use the worst posture you can and slouch. The few pictures I saw posted I know there is zero way I could shoot accurately like that.
I feel like I’m fairly normal on the skinny/fat scale and I pretty much never sit unless I’m waiting to ambush something, or on a down hill slope.

Like coyote hunting I need to sit, problem is then when I address the rifle I end up engaging more muscles and my wobble/npa suffers.

I really want a double pull ckye pod, and to practice seated tripod rear without the legs not being deployed. Playing with tripod rear with my match rifle has really opened up the idea of using this on a higher recoiling, lighter rifle.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
There is no way to setup any tripod as quickly as deploying a bipod like the Spartan. I can have the pack off, bipod on, ready to shoot in under 5 seconds every time. Get a timer out and see how long it takes you setup a tripod.
I'll have to check for time to shoot, not 5 seconds fast, but it's fast to set up tripod.
I do have to trade some time, but getting deployed and "ready to shoot" will depend on the terrain and distance. I really can't think of anywhere that I would go from hiking to having to deploy my pack in 5 seconds for a shot.

Now, the extra time is for "long range" shots that require time to dope a long range shot. Inside 300 yards where I don't have to dope out the shot, I might use my trekking pole or my tripod as a mono pod.

It also matters where and what the hunt is like. Tripod might not be the best way to create a solution, but its a fantastic one.

I'll have to check for time to shoot, not 5 seconds fast, but it's fast to set up tripod.
I do have to trade some time, but getting deployed and "ready to shoot" will depend on the terrain and distance. I really can't think of anywhere that I would go from hiking to having to deploy my pack in 5 seconds for a shot.
I think it may be a difference in hunting styles/terrain but if I can't get a solid position built up in time I'm perfectly cool with missing out on a shot opportunity. Sure it takes me a bit more time to deploy my tripod to get that perfect position but I'm cool with that. I don't have an interest in doing chinese fire drills for a shot on an animal.

fwafwow

WKR
Maybe this photo helps. Both elbows into legs. Legs and core do all the work stabilizing.

View attachment 623370
Is that the Javelin with the Pro Leg added? I've got the Javelin Pro Hunt Tac, but it is too short for even a seated shot. So I just bought the Sentinel. Thanks to this thread I now know that I can try using the third leg of the tripod, or leave one of the tripod legs in my pack and use it as a longer bipod like you are doing above. Thanks for this!

I feel like I’m fairly normal on the skinny/fat scale and I pretty much never sit unless I’m waiting to ambush something, or on a down hill slope.

Like coyote hunting I need to sit, problem is then when I address the rifle I end up engaging more muscles and my wobble/npa suffers.

I really want a double pull ckye pod, and to practice seated tripod rear without the legs not being deployed. Playing with tripod rear with my match rifle has really opened up the idea of using this on a higher recoiling, lighter rifle.
Interesting. Coyote hunting is where 95% of the time I’m shooting off just a tripod. I can’t kneel long enough to make a stand. So it’s sitting for me. Seems pretty solid to 300ish. My brother shoots like you explained at comps. It’s probably just as stable as sitting and fast to get into.

I used a double pull with tripod rear the other day. Being pretty slouched I was able to shoot slightly uphill. I shot an 8” 3 shot group @647 like that. Not great and not horrible. The double pull is slightly short for me to plan on using it sitting unless I am mostly shooting down hill.

I did shoot my furthest coyote prone with the double pull Saturday. I wasn’t in a hurry but it is amazing how fast I was able to change the angle on one leg and extend it.

LaHunter

WKR
Of course! But I can use a 2lb tripod (with head) for that.

If there’s a good shooting tripod out there that weighs as little as a good CF glassing tripod, please enlighten me.
I am sorta in this delima. I have a Harris 9-13" bipod that works great when prone, but prone is not always possible. I have a 'heavish' Slik 734 tripod that comes in at about 3 lbs. It has a load rating of 11 lbs. RRS has their Ascend compact tripod at 3.0 lbs with a load rating of 20-30 lbs, depending on leg extension & position, but it lists for $1200. I am going to see how my Slik 734 performs in seated and kneeling positions and go from there.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I am sorta in this delima. I have a Harris 9-13" bipod that works great when prone, but prone is not always possible. I have a 'heavish' Slik 734 tripod that comes in at about 3 lbs. It has a load rating of 11 lbs. RRS has their Ascend compact tripod at 3.0 lbs with a load rating of 20-30 lbs, depending on leg extension & position, but it lists for $1200. I am going to see how my Slik 734 performs in seated and kneeling positions and go from there.
Would you leave the bipod at home? You could certainly get a more stable tripod for the total weight you carry if you would.

My tripod set up at 4.25 lbs basically weighs the same as a your lightweight tripod and bipod, a few ounces more than what you carry now.

Anyone looking for a lightweight tripod for shooting inside 350 yards no higher than a seated position can find one or use the one that you already have.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Is that the Javelin with the Pro Leg added? I've got the Javelin Pro Hunt Tac, but it is too short for even a seated shot. So I just bought the Sentinel. Thanks to this thread I now know that I can try using the third leg of the tripod, or leave one of the tripod legs in my pack and use it as a longer bipod like you are doing above. Thanks for this!

I carry the short version in my bino harness and the long version strapped to outside of my pack. So I can deploy either bipod instantly.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I really can't think of anywhere that I would go from hiking to having to deploy my pack in 5 seconds for a shot.

Interesting. I have the opposite experience. Especially when hunting predators and varmints but big game animals as well. Sometimes 5 seconds is too long and the animal is gone.

Tripod is a good tool and can be very effective when time permits.

fwafwow

WKR
I carry the short version in my bino harness and the long version strapped to outside of my pack. So I can deploy either bipod instantly.
Is the "long version" the Javelin with the longer legs added? I also think you might be the person I was remembering who said he carries both in that manner. I was thinking of doing the same, but with the tripod on my pack (or otherwise) - or the tripod minus a leg.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I think it may be a difference in hunting styles/terrain but if I can't get a solid position built up in time I'm perfectly cool with missing out on a shot opportunity. Sure it takes me a bit more time to deploy my tripod to get that perfect position but I'm cool with that. I don't have an interest in doing chinese fire drills for a shot on an animal.

Yeah I’d rather kill the animal personally than take my time setting up for the “perfect shot”. Can you show me an example of the “perfect position” using a tripod. I’m curious.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Is the "long version" the Javelin with the longer legs added? I also think you might be the person I was remembering who said he carries both in that manner. I was thinking of doing the same, but with the tripod on my pack (or otherwise) - or the tripod minus a leg.
I carry two bipods. Both Spartans. One short and one long. It’s the long legs on one unit and short legs on the other unit.

fwafwow

WKR
I carry two bipods. Both Spartans. One short and one long. It’s the long legs on one unit and short legs on the other unit.
OK - I'm easily confused, or the models have changed. Mine is marked "long" but they only extend to about 12". I think the Pro Legs are longer, and maybe something I should have considered. Or consider in the future.

Lawnboi

WKR
Interesting. Coyote hunting is where 95% of the time I’m shooting off just a tripod. I can’t kneel long enough to make a stand. So it’s sitting for me. Seems pretty solid to 300ish. My brother shoots like you explained at comps. It’s probably just as stable as sitting and fast to get into.

I used a double pull with tripod rear the other day. Being pretty slouched I was able to shoot slightly uphill. I shot an 8” 3 shot group @647 like that. Not great and not horrible. The double pull is slightly short for me to plan on using it sitting unless I am mostly shooting down hill.

I did shoot my furthest coyote prone with the double pull Saturday. I wasn’t in a hurry but it is amazing how fast I was able to change the angle on one leg and extend it.
I hear you on seated while calling. I couldn’t kneel the whole time doing that.

What are your thoughts on the double pull? And how long have you had it. That one is on my short list.

I agree with some of the above on both sides. I think a tripod is a great tool but it is the absolute last item I’m reaching for and takes a special situation, they just take too long and use too much movement to deploy. When I go on a stalk I have my tripod with a small bag attached in my left hand.

I’m thinking a taller bipod with a tripod read (legs fully collapsed so it’s fast) might be worth a shot. After some practice tripod rear is stupid stable

LaHunter

WKR
Would you leave the bipod at home? You could certainly get a more stable tripod for the total weight you carry if you would.

My tripod set up at 4.25 lbs basically weighs the same as a your lightweight tripod and bipod, a few ounces more than what you carry now.

Anyone looking for a lightweight tripod for shooting inside 350 yards no higher than a seated position can find one or use the one that you already have.
I doubt I would ever leave my bipod at camp. If a long range shot is offered, my skill level in any position other than prone with my bipod would limit my range. I am already carrying my tripod, Suriu VA-5 head, along with a spotter too, so I already carry a lot of wt. I have never shot from a tripod, but realize I probably need to start practicing using one. I'm just not sure how my current Slik 734 CF tripod will work, given the 11 lb rating, and my rifle is a bit heavier than that, did I mention I carry a good bit of wt? I also have the Wiser treking pole quick connect fittings on my 'old man sticks' that I need to practice with also.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
OK - I'm easily confused, or the models have changed. Mine is marked "long" but they only extend to about 12". I think the Pro Legs are longer, and maybe something I should have considered. Or consider in the future.

Yeah I don’t know the name. These long legs I have are 16” fully closed and 32” fully extended.

Yeah I’d rather kill the animal personally than take my time setting up for the “perfect shot”. Can you show me an example of the “perfect position” using a tripod. I’m curious.
I shot a coues deer from one hill to another at 400 yards last week if that counts, but I wasn't able to take a picture of myself while I did it (?). I was sitting on a rock on a ledge and my tripod was situated on three stable rocks on the ledge as well. There was no room to get into a prone position, so no need to use the bipod that I also brought with me. I had my pint size gamechanger (git-lite fill so 1.2 lbs) tucked into my armpit to stabilize my right arm. My rifle has a full length arca rail on the bottom of the fore end so I just clipped it directly into the Anvil head and it's almost as stable as prone with a solid bipod (not just a dedicated hunting bipod). Realistically in that position I could have made the shot out to at least 700 yards if there wasn't much wind and I actually wanted to take that distance of shot, which I don't.

If I'm spotting the animals by glassing off of my tripod, meaning it's already in front of me and deployed, how many shots do you think I'm missing by not being able to drop everything and shoot in 5 seconds if something is in range? And how often in big game hunting are you running into scenarios where your window to shoot doesn't allow 30 seconds to set up? If often, is something about your style of hunting contributing to you having that little time to set up? Whatever the reason, I don't run into that and I'm not constantly missing out on animals with how I do things.