Tip suggestion: seated shots?

SDHNTR

WKR
Master senseis of the world, how do you build stable seated positions in the field when hunting? It’s very rare to get a prone shot where I seem to hunt. Just a couple days ago I took two shots at a buck from seated positions that were less than ideal. Missed him the first time (although that was more due to a ranging error) and then found him again 2 days later and killed him. In both cases I was in tall sagebrush on steep hillsides. Prone was out of the question.

I tried everything but of course time was of the essence. It was the rear rest I struggled with most. Hatch bipod fully extended out front, and then I tried my tripod (ultralight CF little guy) a small bag for a rear rest, but it got in the way of my right leg when seated. Tried hugging my backpack in front of me and using that for rear support, but couldn’t get the height right, horizontal too low and vertical too high. In the end, I wound up putting the backpack behind me and leaning hard into it against a big sage bush, and just using my left hand as rear support with my elbow anchored on my leg. The kill shot was only 387 so I made that work, but it was less than ideal and if much longer I wouldn’t have taken it.

I’d love to see a pictorial on seated shooting positions and proper form. Way too much focus is placed on prone shooting and imo, that’s often just unrealistic in the field.

Last edited:
OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Tripod. Much more versatile than a bipod. I no longer bring a bipod for exactly the reason you say: prone shots are less likely in a hunting situation.
I knew that would be the response. And, nope is mine. Someone tell me where I’m wrong: shooting tripods are for shooting games and/or hunting somewhere close to a truck on easy ground.

I’ve shot off tripods and the shooting part is great. But they are like lugging around a boat anchor. I’m not doing it. In order to have one steady enough for a stable shooting platform, they have to be heavy. That’s just not realistic carrying that much in the backcountry. If I’m carrying an extra 4-5#, it’s gonna be food and/or water!

Last edited:
I knew that would be the response. And, nope is mine. Someone tell me where I’m wrong: tripods are for shooting games and/or hunting somewhere close to a truck on easy ground.

I’ve shot off tripods and the shooting part is great. But they are like lugging around a boat anchor. I’m not doing it. In order to have one steady enough for a stable shooting platform, they have to be heavy. That’s just not realistic carrying that much in the backcountry. If I’m carrying an extra 4-5#, it’s gonna be food and/or water!
They're also the best way to glass too if that makes a difference.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
They're also the best way to glass too if that makes a difference.
Of course! But I can use a 2lb tripod (with head) for that.

If there’s a good shooting tripod out there that weighs as little as a good CF glassing tripod, please enlighten me.

parshal

WKR
If there’s a good shooting tripod out there that weighs as little as a good CF glassing tripod, please enlighten me.
There isn't. But, for me at least, I'll carry an extra 1.5 lbs. (over your 2 lbs. tripod) for a super stable shot so I don't have to play around with bipods, backpacks, rocks or whatever else I might have to find to get stable. For that matter, I'll carry an extra five pounds for that.

I'm not trying to turn this thread into a tripod or not thread. Just stating how I deal with your original question.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
There isn't. But, for me at least, I'll carry an extra 1.5 lbs. (over your 2 lbs. tripod) for a super stable shot so I don't have to play around with bipods, backpacks, rocks or whatever else I might have to find to get stable. For that matter, I'll carry an extra five pounds for that.

I'm not trying to turn this thread into a tripod or not thread. Just stating how I deal with your original question.
Fair enough, assume this then for the purpose of this further discussion:

1. If someone is going to recommend a shooting tripod, it has to be under 3.5# total, with head, do double duty as a good glassing tripod also (pan head for glassing vs ball head for shooting?), and be compact and packable, say 20-22” length or less and 3” diameter max.

Or,

2. Assume no shooting tripod and just regular lightweight back country hunting stuff, what are you using to build your rest to shooting seated and how?

Of course! But I can use a 2lb tripod (with head) for that.

I'm not a big shooting tripod guy, i can get very stable with trekking poles and my pack from seated. But if weight is your hangup, your glassing tripod and the hatch bipod aren't that light? RRS TFCT 24L is probably within a lb. A non-L 24 would be better yet, i think they used to make them?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I tried everything but of course time was of the essence. It was the rear rest I struggled with most. Hatch bipod fully extended out front, and then I tried my tripod (ultralight CF little guy) a small bag for a rear rest, but it got in the way of my right leg when seated.

Don’t use the top of the tripod, use one leg and pinch the buttstock between your off and and the tripod leg.

Tried hugging my backpack in front of me and using that for rear support, but couldn’t get the height right, horizontal too low and vertical too high.

With the pack upright, could you not angle it to change height?

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Don’t use the top of the tripod, use one leg and pinch the buttstock between your off and and the tripod leg.

With the pack upright, could you not angle it to change height?
1. Damn that’s a good thought! I think I can envision what you are saying. Would love a pic. So place the tripod off to my right side. Grab the leg of the tripod closest to me with my left hand (I’m right handed) across my chest and settle the rear part of the stock into the crook made by my hand grabbing the tripod leg?

Point/question 2. No. I was shooting slightly uphill. Horizontally and flat the pack was way too low, on its horizontal side it was still too low, and vertically it was too tall because of the frame. Couldn’t lower the bipod to compensate and still get over the Sage. With more time I probably could have built up a horizontal pack option with more chit, jacket, bino harness, etc, but time was of the essence and it was already a circus making too much movement and all.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Tripod. Much more versatile than a bipod. I no longer bring a bipod for exactly the reason you say: prone shots are less likely in a hunting situation.
This is 100% the truth.

I can build positions with a tripod in the mountainside and be as stable as prone.

Here is one video to get your juices flowing.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
This is 100% the truth.

I can build positions with a tripod in the mountainside and be as stable as prone.

Here is one video to get your juices flowing.

Awesome shot and if that works for you, great. But I see two massive tripods. That’s not gonna work for me. See points one and two above.

TaperPin

WKR
How accurate are you with just the extended bipod and no rear rest? That’s a good number to know. I let a blackbear walk away by wasting time trying to get too steady instead of just sitting and taking the shot - after that I practiced and knew exactly how far each position was good for and since then haven’t wasted time sitting if close enough for a standing shot, or prone if all it takes is sitting. At least where I’ve been, animals don’t stand still long waiting for the hunter to go through a long checklist.

The only place I use a bipod is antelope hunting and it’s the only place I’ll carry a nylon webbing loop the correct length to go over the top of the knees when sitting. Personally, elbows on knees no bipod is good for a quick 250, with bipod 350 - with bipod and knee loop 400 is doable. Of course odd angles and heavy breathing reduces range. A pack in your lap can help if you’re able to lean into it enough, but that’s only worth it with unlimited time. Leaning back on something relaxes the muscles I normally use with elbows on knees so that’s a no go for me. If the sage was big enough to lean back on my first reaction is to throw the pack on top of the sage for a rest.

I pictured an antelope walking out of a gully at 400 and a hunting partner unfold a bipod and start to set up a tripod and fiddle dink around - an automatic uncontrollable reflex would be asking wtf he was doing. Lol

Edit: Keep in mind coyote hunters have been smoking them way out here for the past 100 years with nothing but simple crossed shooting sticks.

I‘m becoming a fan of tripods for antelope if someone is along to help carry and set it up. No way am I ever going to crawl on hands and knees dragging both a tripod and rifle along.

Last edited:

fwafwow

WKR
Awesome shot and if that works for you, great. But I see two massive tripods. That’s not gonna work for me. See points one and two above.
Have you looked at the Spartan tripods? Website says the Sentinel is under 2lbs. Yes it’s $499, but I just got the prior generation for $275 (IIRC) from @Happy Antelope

I feel your pain and tagging in to hear the suggestions.

Also a hatch bipod guy but recently sold mine, so I am familiar with that system.

Been shooting from trekking poles a long time, but hardly ever actually practice with them which is probably my biggest issue.

Hatch is great but tough to get the level of adjustments that you get from trekking poles, and it’s much slower.

I like forms suggestion of grabbing the tripod leg for a rear support…

This year I’ve been experimenting with a shooting tripod. It’s an RRS ascent with BH40 head. 4.1lbs. Heavy, but amazing stability compared to the ultralight tripod when it comes to glassing.

The tripod is great but also requires a lot of practice. I’m wondering if I would be better off perfecting my trekking pole shooting rather than trying to get better at the tripod..which is slow and I have issues with recoil management.

Either way I have made crappy shots off of both shooting sticks and my tripod 🤷

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
How accurate are you with just the extended bipod and no rear rest? That’s a good number to know. I let a blackbear walk away by wasting time trying to get too steady instead of just sitting and taking the shot - after that I practiced and knew exactly how far each position was good for and since then haven’t wasted time sitting if close enough for a standing shot, or prone if all it takes is sitting. At least where I’ve been, animals don’t stand still long waiting for the hunter to go through a long checklist.

The only place I use a bipod is antelope hunting and it’s the only place I’ll carry a nylon webbing loop the correct length to go over the top of the knees when sitting. Personally, elbows on knees no bipod is good for a quick 250, with bipod 350 - with bipod and knee loop 400 is doable. Of course odd angles and heavy breathing reduces range. A pack in your lap can help if you’re able to lean into it enough, but that’s only worth it with unlimited time. Leaning back on something relaxes the muscles I normally use with elbows on knees so that’s a no go for me. If the sage was big enough to lean back on my first reaction is to throw the pack on top of the sage for a rest.

I pictured an antelope walking out of a gully at 400 and a hunting partner unfold a bipod and start to set up a tripod and fiddle dink around - an automatic uncontrollable reflex would be asking wtf he was doing. Lol

Edit: Keep in mind coyote hunters have been smoking them way out here for the past 100 years with nothing but simple crossed shooting sticks.

I‘m becoming a fan of tripods for antelope if someone is along to help carry and set it up. No way am I ever going to crawl on hands and knees dragging both a tripod and rifle along.
That’s a good question. With just the front bipod and no real rear rest other than my hand, I consider myself accurate (proven by practicing) up to about 400-450, provided I have something to lean back against.

eric1115

WKR
A few years ago I picked up a leofoto 324CEX with the integrated compact leveling base, and really been pleased with it for shooting. It's more stable than anything else in its weight class that I have used (no RRS experience, but used sirui, slik, feisol, manfrotto, etc ranging from 2lb glassing tripods to 6 lb 36mm leg with 55mm ball head). I've shot deer at 400 yards standing, rock chucks at 200 standing easily, and 800+ on vital size steel from seated. This is a routine group that I will shoot seated with no rear support. Not at all cherry picked, just one I happened to snap a picture of to make notes on POI difference with a suppressor.
1000001597.jpg

1000001598.jpg1000001801.jpg

leofotousa.com
Leofoto LS-324CEX Leveling Ranger Tripod
LS-324CEX: MSRP: $449.00 Max. height: 1526mmMin.Height: 100mmFolded length: 560mmLeg Section : 4Max load: 15kgWeight: 1.61kg Tilt range : -15°/+15°
leofotousa.com leofotousa.com

I never loved it for glassing, but tolerated it as the leveling base actually works pretty smoothly. This year I picked up a SmallRig compact pan/tilt and mounted an arca plate to the bottom. Cut the handle down and removed the big rubber grip. It lives on the tripod now, only comes off to take a shot. 1,000% improved glassing experience, both binos and spotting scope. Way better than any ball head I've used, nearly VA5 quality (though it's been a while since I owned one, so I don't have a very sharp reference point to compare them). It's not the lightest option, around 1/2 lb I think. I'll try to remember to weigh it. There are lighter ones out there, but this little guy is amazing for the money. It's only $50, I got it on sale for $40.

1000001596.jpg

1000001593.jpg

I now have a 4.25 lb setup that lets me shoot very effectively, goes to standing height for glassing and shooting, and in my opinion is better for glassing than any ball head I'm aware of. I'm under $500 on the whole setup. The leveling base makes the panhead so nice to use, compared to standard tripods and trying to get the head close to level by adjusting legs. With this setup, I just get it somewhere kind of close and then do a quick adjustment on the leveling base and I'm all set.

I like to do things quirky sometimes, and it does not always work as well as I hope. This one though has panned out extremely well.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
279367951_4685249478246105_2451770831052456387_n.jpg

Obviously not a hunting situation here but this is how you can use the tripod for varying heights. If you are using the hatch in the front and a tripod for rear support then put the tripod on your right side and grip the bottom of the buttstock with your left hand. It takes a little bit of practice to get quick with it but you can get extremely stable. Even if you do not have a bipod you can lay your backpack down in the front and use the tripod for rear support while you are laying prone or put the pack vertical for some added elevation.

Shooting tripods are going to add some weight but will make you much quicker for taking long shots in an elevated position. If you are creative and familiar with your lightweight gear then you can make it work for getting 2-3 ft off the ground. Watch a couple of PRS matches and those guys will show you how to utilize gear to build positions. Some of them aren't feasible for hunting but you can take the ideas and improvise to suit the gear you are carrying. If you want to be fast, a good shooting tripod is the quickest option.

I knew that would be the response. And, nope is mine. Someone tell me where I’m wrong: shooting tripods are for shooting games and/or hunting somewhere close to a truck on easy ground.

I use the same tripod to shoot that I use for glassing. Add a v-yoke and a quick release plate. It's like $30 and a few ounces. Works pretty well.

I’d say it is less of a gear requirement and more of a training requirement. Sure, gear helps, but not if you aren’t practicing with it. I hate tripods, I refuse to use them for anything. However, I have never had an issue with using a bipod/trekking poles and my pack. If the sagebrush was that tall, it is probably pretty dense so I might have tried to smash it down and use my pack on top of it. Try putting your buttstock on your bino harness next time and use it as your rear rest….

Just my two cents, not worth much.