Tip suggestion: seated shots?

BLJ

WKR
Those seated positions to me look insanely uncomfortable, using muscle to try to lean forward. Righties with right knee up, left down in a low kneeling I find much more stable and allow mainly bone on bone and a position that isn’t being held by muscles.
IMO I would agree with this. I’ve found the range of adjustment to be far greater than sitting and a lot easier to get into.
And if you could manage a pack/jacket/pump pillow between your arm pit and thigh, it becomes a very stable position after some practice.

Flyjunky

WKR
I use an Anvil head and my solution to glassing off of it was to buy the RRS PT-Scout pan head. It clips into the Anvil and is an actual pan-tilt head for glassing. So (for 8 oz extra if that makes a difference to you) I get the best shooting ball head on the market as well as a head more suited to glassing. And when I need to shoot, I just unclip my PT-Scout head using the lever in about 1 second and can clip my rifle's rail directly onto the underlying Anvil that the PT-Scout was clipped into.
This is the exact setup I'm thinking about going with. How do you like the scout? Is it smooth no matter how cold it is outside?

TheGDog

WKR
Well.. Outdoorsman Pistol-Grip Bino head... you can just flop it over to this one side so it's now laying over horizontally... and they machined a slight dip/indentation on what becomes that top side of it, when you lay it over... you then lay the rifle upon that cutout, when using it like a shooting rest. but most of the time, if I need a rest at all I just bust out the cheap little Kwik Stix. They're for sure good for making a shot with decent precision, out to like 200-250 I'd say. I'm sure father with a better shooter too. And they don't weigh anything hardly. Essentially corded tent-poles that rapidly deploy and are attached at a pivot-point "V" that's rubber over-molded with grooves to for better gripping of the stock.

But from seated in like a Helinox or something? Double-knees/Double-elbows w feet on ground I'm sure could do surprisingly well, for in the field stuff. Totally know what the OP's talking about re: a Habitat where the thought of having a prone shot is laughable, such as vast Chapparal.

Fatcamp

WKR
Shot a deer on Saturday at 207 off my spotting scope with my backpack under the stock. Very stable, didn't take long to set up.

I spent a bunch of time practicing setup and shooting like this in years past, but none lately. Whatever you decide practice enough to make it second nature and it won't be an issue.

This is the exact setup I'm thinking about going with. How do you like the scout? Is it smooth no matter how cold it is outside?
I love it. I've only used the scout in 80 degree Arizona heat so can't comment on how it does in the cold though. It's pretty new to me.

Weldor

WKR
Check out viper shooting sticks, The can be used as walking stick, standing shots as well as kneeling or sitting. Front and rear support.