New spotter or binos...?

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Definitely something to think about... They have the Minox on demo prices right now for $229 at CameraLand.
How usable is it at 30X?

Mike

I have the Minox, Its awesome. Granted I don't have anything to compare it to since this is my first spotter. But for that $ it does the job well.

OP
HellsCanyon
The minox would let me purchase a quality tripod as well... decisions decisions decisions!

I feel like a girl trying to figure out what to wear on a first date... ridiculous lol

Mike

dotman

WKR
The minox is very usable and crystal clear, at 30x you do lose some of the edge but not to the point that it is horrible, the center is crystal clear at 30x. This thing would rock if it had ED glass. Trust me if you get it, it will stay in your line up when you get something bigger. You wouldn't regret getting it especially at the $229 price point. I love cameralandny demo's :)

sk1

WKR
HC - I was in your spot recently, was saving for the Vortex Razor HD, I also considered the minox route to save for close to alpha binos.

I went with the Zen-Ray ED2 20-60x82mm spotter, I haven't had the razor to compare it side by side, but have talked to a few who have and say they can't hardly tell the difference and that most likely you wouldn't really know without having them side by side to look back and forth between the two....I bought it for $999 and it came with a 30x wide angle lens. THey are back ordered right now but are supposed to get more in the beginning of July, and also be changing their warranty to a no fault like vortex's (may want to double check on that, but that is indeed what they told me) I have been extremely impressed with the scope, am still getting my digiscoping equipment together to post a better review, just a thought....not sure on your price range. I believe cameraland still has this combo deal available at that price

OP
HellsCanyon
Sk1,
I have heard good things about the Zens! They are however a bit out of my price range. The vortex 65mm HD is the upper end of what I can spend right now. And I don't foresee much more savings rolling in for this season.

Right now I'm leaning towards the minox but its def not a for sure thing. Need to hear back from a contact tomorrow before I make a decision!

Mike

Lawnboi

WKR
Im in the same boat as you, looking at the exact same spotters. What im going to do is wait a month, and get whatever i can afford at the time. Obviously the viper is going to be a hair better, especially if your spending a decent amount of time behind it. And the price through elknut really isnt that bad.

From what i hear both will get the job done. The viper may be something id hang on to for a couple years where the minox would likly be pushed aside after one season.

sk1

WKR
the minox might get pushed aside, but it's in an entirely different category being small and light.... and you never know when you might pack it again....always nice to have options

OP
HellsCanyon
the minox might get pushed aside, but it's in an entirely different category being small and light.... and you never know when you might pack it again....always nice to have options

Thats where I'm having the hardest time deciding. Its not exactly apples to apples here even though they are both going to be used for the same thing. With all the weight I'm saving by upgrading clothing, pack, camp system...etc is it a good idea to stay lightweight all the way and go for the Minox or do I just bite the bullet and rock the Vortex? At 3.25 lbs for the HD65 vs. 1.4 lbs for the Minox its a tough decision. I've spent way more money than I'd save to shed anywhere from 5-10 lbs off my back country pack. But is that extra 1.5 lbs going to better serve me hunting high country muleys in ID, WA, and CO? Its easy to get caught up on counting ounces, counting lbs is even easier! lol

Mike

sk1

WKR
well, while the minox definitely has its place,...if you decide to go with it just make sure you are ok with what you're getting....it's not big glass for glassing long long distances at least IMO. now that i have a nice 82mm spotter, i want the minox for situations you dont want to take that much weight, however that being said i think i would have been slightly disappointed had i bought the minox first just trying to get by. that's just me though. i like knowing i have the cabability to glass what i want even if it means extra weight. if minox md50 suits your needs and it will get you by happily until you can afford the big glass you want then go that route. i definitely understand the difficulties of figuring out your wants/needs and then inputting the budget can be difficult.

good luck with your decision, i always hate trying to decide what the best route is

OP
HellsCanyon
Decision was made a few minutes ago... Went ahead and bought the Viper HD 65mm! :p
It came down to this: The HD 65 it will most definitely do what I want it to do, and it'll be a lot easier for me in the future to justify buying the Minox as a supplemental spotter than it would for me to justify to myself buying the HD 65mm.

You guys have been a ton of help and have been great to bounce ideas and thoughts off of, and to get your experiences and opinions! Thank you much. ;-)

Mike

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
I have the 10x42 Viper HDs and love them. What I love even more is the no fault unconditional lifetime guarantee that Vortex offers. I don't know for sure, but they may offer it on their spotters as well.

OP
HellsCanyon
They do have the same warranty for their spotters. Great company and I'm excited to receive the spotter. Now I just gotta go review the tripods thread! ;)

Mike

dotman

WKR
Congrats, cool thing is that you would have been happy with either spotter.

OP
HellsCanyon
Will do Matt!

Dotman, I agree I think I would've liked the Minox! The money factor wasn't so huge as I'm more of a buy once cry once guy and at this point right now I could've bought either. Only thing that was hanging it up for me was weight and possible lack of magnification. Packing around that extra 1 3/4 lbs isn't going to be a huge deal and if it is, well then I need to get in better shape! ;)

Mike

OP
HellsCanyon
Aron, stop by a best buy and pickup a rocketfish 47, mine was on clearance for $44 and it will hold an 85mm spotter. All metal, legs are carbon and weighs 2.9lbs. Only goes up 47in but is a quality item. Rated optic/camera weight is 15.4lbs that it will hold.

http://www.rocketfishproducts.com/products/cameras-camcorders/RF-TRP47C.html

Dotman, I snagged this quote from another thread from ya...
I did a quick search on Ebay and found one on there for $44 brand new shipped to my door. Read 20+ good reviews on the Rocketfish so I pulled the trigger. Hopefully the factory ball head will stabilize the new spotter for me, and if it doesn't, well I still have a good tripod and some cash to buy a decent head! Thank you for posting this!

Mike

dotman

WKR
Dotman, I snagged this quote from another thread from ya...
I did a quick search on Ebay and found one on there for $44 brand new shipped to my door. Read 20+ good reviews on the Rocketfish so I pulled the trigger. Hopefully the factory ball head will stabilize the new spotter for me, and if it doesn't, well I still have a good tripod and some cash to buy a decent head! Thank you for posting this!

Mike

I'm pretty amazed at the quality of it, great tripod. I highly recommend it based on the quality I see and feel with it, only long term use will tell how good it really is and I know a few others on here have used it for over a year and love it.

OP
HellsCanyon
I've never used a real high quality tripod so I imagine I'll like this one just fine! And every head I've used would drift like crazy after you tightened it down with that big 80mm vortex on top which was super annoying. Only ball head I've messed with is the vortex high country and I hated it. Much preferred something with a handle to pan with. We'll see how the rocketfish treats me! :)

Mike

I use a manfrotto ball head with my velbon tripod for my 65mm viper HD. Its a stout tripod. This thing is rock solid as well. Hope the rocketfish treats you well

dotman

WKR
I use a manfrotto ball head with my velbon tripod for my 65mm viper HD. Its a stout tripod. This thing is rock solid as well. Hope the rocketfish treats you well

What's funny is they had manfrottos to compare side by side and the rocketfish just seemed like a much better tripod. Cool thing was they are coming out with a new model and the current one was on closeout from $80 to $44.