New Stone Glacier packs added

Thanks, I do drive through Bend a few times per year, I’ll stop in next time I go through
Do you normally run a 24" frame?

I've owned
Exo K2
K3 Tall
26 kifaru DL with both stay types.
26 Tactical
I have a Seek

Tested a crux and x curve

For a 6ft 225-235 strong but squishy person with what I consider a curved back.
So far what has rode best for me testing up to 120lbs.
Best to worse.

Seek
Xcurve
Crux/duplex lite with semi flat.
K3
K2

But I never hunted with the SG but did do a 6 mile 60lbs hike.
The X curve worked pretty dang well.
But to get the belt really tite I had to use both hands to do the see saw move. As the buckles worked against each other. And I thought the 5900 had alot of straps. Which is good with a large load but can be a hassle day hunting.

Not saying I've seen any failures. But I do wish SG had some attachment hardware at the top of the velcro like an exo. It would make me feel warm/fuzzy even if not needed.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
What I heard then say on the product previous was the 4800 is simply responding to customers “asks” - everyone loves the solo, but just wanted a tad more space without the requirement to strap on lid/access bags etc. It looks to me like they delivered on that. Having the sky 5900 out there, which was the original “more features” bag they did on top of the solo, fills that gap for more space, if you like the beaver tail layout. I’ve always preferred the solo bag shape/access, so this 4800 is “perfect” in my eyes, but not being into it over some of the similar sized packs makes sense certainly.

As far as the smaller terminus - the 7000, minus the 2200 ci space for load cell, IS 4800 ci so that pack really handles like that size most of the time. 5900-2200 is 3800 ci and pretty dang small to try and pack a multi day pack camp unit when considering food. I think that’s really the main reason they haven’t made a smaller version vs larger. When you look at the weight savings/material, the big advantage the terminus line has is how much volume you get for the weight. It compresses so easy that going smaller isn’t as ideal? That’s what I see at least.

wnelson14

WKR
What I heard then say on the product previous was the 4800 is simply responding to customers “asks” - everyone loves the solo, but just wanted a tad more space without the requirement to strap on lid/access bags etc. It looks to me like they delivered on that. Having the sky 5900 out there, which was the original “more features” bag they did on top of the solo, fills that gap for more space, if you like the beaver tail layout. I’ve always preferred the solo bag shape/access, so this 4800 is “perfect” in my eyes, but not being into it over some of the similar sized packs makes sense certainly.

As far as the smaller terminus - the 7000, minus the 2200 ci space for load cell, IS 4800 ci so that pack really handles like that size most of the time. 5900-2200 is 3800 ci and pretty dang small to try and pack a multi day pack camp unit when considering food. I think that’s really the main reason they haven’t made a smaller version vs larger. When you look at the weight savings/material, the big advantage the terminus line has is how much volume you get for the weight. It compresses so easy that going smaller isn’t as ideal? That’s what I see at least.
The terminus does check a lot of boxes, but to me they missed the mark with no small catch pockets on the sides and no spotting scope zipper. Both of those cannot add that much weight.

I think the 4800 is a great looking pack and have one on order. Over the years, I’ve literally used every single pack in their lineup and have always wished for something between the Solo and the 5900. Aside from the additional cubes on the new Col, I like the side pocket (I stuff a Nalgene in there) that the Solo lacks and the face pocket. This is perfect for water filters, snacks, quick access items. I’m looking forward to using it.

ljalberta

WKR
The terminus does check a lot of boxes, but to me they missed the mark with no small catch pockets on the sides and no spotting scope zipper. Both of those cannot add that much weight.
The side zipper opens right along the internal spotter pocket.

wnelson14

WKR
The side zipper opens right along the internal spotter pocket.
I had the 6400 which is same zipper configuration, when pack is full getting spotter out is no problem. Getting it back in was a problem for me but I’ve been happy with the 6900

prm

WKR
For day hunting with the pack very lightly loaded, I don’t see that the top of the Col can be compressed the way the sky 5900 or R3 5900 seem to be able. I’m starting to lean towards R3 5900.

@Kurt For the Sky 5900 can the tensioners on the top of the bag and the load lifters be changed out to buckles? Like the R3. I use a load shelf a lot. Easy enough to just go with R3, just prefer Sky 5900 color options.

Last edited:
OP
sr80

sr80

WKR
I had the 6400 which is same zipper configuration, when pack is full getting spotter out is no problem. Getting it back in was a problem for me but I’ve been happy with the 6900
I like to put soft items along the inside where my spotter is. Helps getting it in and out and also allows it to kinda push into them once the compression straps are tighteded.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Can you fit an elk quarter in the meat compartment?
maybe a cow front shoulder? Not bone in with anything off a bull, at least reasonably, it is certainly a system where you have to commit to boning meat with that internal load cell. Now if you just threw the bone-on quarter in the main bag, that would totally fit.

I’m with you on the small side catch pockets. I was waiting to see what they came out with but might get a terminus 7000 and get someone to sow some on.
I’m also curious if they will start releasing other bags in their line up in xpac. Seemed to me the next step but maybe there is some technical reason that won’t happen?

dcopher

Lil-Rokslider
There are, but ours don’t carry stone as of about a month ago… I assume most are?
Not sure what part of the Oregon Coast you are on, but Bob's Sporting Goods in Longview, WA carries Stone Glacier. If you are north coast it might not be far for you.

Not sure what part of the Oregon Coast you are on, but Bob's Sporting Goods in Longview, WA carries Stone Glacier. If you are north coast it might not be far for you.
It’s been awhile, I used to go up there a lot to fish with Brad when he was working there, but haven’t recently, but it’s always a place I stop when I’m in that neighborhood

Might have to use that as an excuse to go fish springers a couple days when they show up, thanks