New Stone Glacier packs added

Haha I hear you, we really are spoiled.

FWIW, I fought the same thing UNTIL I got my SG pack. It's the only pack I've ever used that didn't slide down my back under load, whether there was stuff on the hip belt or not. So I know exactly what you mean, luckily the SG seemed to fix that for me. Water, hip pouch. rangefinder (sometimes), handgun have all been on my hip belt at one point or another, and the only pack that's never slid down on me was the SG.
I would agree with this however if finally got the k3 with the stiffer lumbar foam to stay up on my hips. I have a feeling this k4 will even be better. My issue with my SG Xcurve is man it’s stiff and has actually created some lower back pain since it had a bad fall on lower back even though it’s healed. This was main reason I went back to Exo and the k3 just felt great all day. K4 looks like a cross between SG and Kifaru which could be amazing is that’s the case.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
The more I look at it the more I’m curious why there’s no lid attachment capability…..reason being is it’s nice to have the attachment points for straps to “x” on the top or wrap around packing heads. I see that’s shown/done in some of the product photos by connecting to the upper horizontal compression strap buckles to accessory strap extenders, and ladder locks going back to the frame. Perhaps for that pack size there was no need to overlap so close to the 5900, so the thought was to keep it simple?

I wouldn’t call it a “huge miss” in any regard - I did see some other reference to building more out of x-pac, which I think was referring to the terminus material? There’s always been xpac on the frame and bags (some packs do not have it on the bottom of the bag though, some do) - the terminus material is a totally new fabric.

slowelk

WKR
The more I look at it the more I’m curious why there’s no lid attachment capability…..reason being is it’s nice to have the attachment points for straps to “x” on the top or wrap around packing heads. I see that’s shown/done in some of the product photos by connecting to the upper horizontal compression strap buckles to accessory strap extenders, and ladder locks going back to the frame. Perhaps for that pack size there was no need to overlap so close to the 5900, so the thought was to keep it simple?

I wouldn’t call it a “huge miss” in any regard - I did see some other reference to building more out of x-pac, which I think was referring to the terminus material? There’s always been xpac on the frame and bags (some packs do not have it on the bottom of the bag though, some do) - the terminus material is a totally new fabric.

There is a photo that shows rack attachment. I am calling tomorrow about it.

nobody

WKR
I would agree with this however if finally got the k3 with the stiffer lumbar foam to stay up on my hips. I have a feeling this k4 will even be better. My issue with my SG Xcurve is man it’s stiff and has actually created some lower back pain since it had a bad fall on lower back even though it’s healed. This was main reason I went back to Exo and the k3 just felt great all day. K4 looks like a cross between SG and Kifaru which could be amazing is that’s the case.
Interesting you say that. I used to hunt with a guy who had an Exo K3, and he loved it (mainly because it was his first high end pack, coming from Badlands). But every trip we went on, he complained that it sagged super bad and cut off circulation to his legs and hips. He just chalked it up to "oh well, that's what happens with packs with some weight in them." I'm convinced the biggest problem with modern packs is the cushiness in their frame and suspension systems, coupled with the soft, smooth outer material on the padding. Firm, supportive padding (like a good memory foam insole, for example) that forms to your back and shoulders is the best thing for carrying extreme loads. Too little padding and things dig into your back, too much padding and you can't cinch things down effectively or tight enough to get them to stay up off your butt.

I'll be interested to see if the K4 fixes these issues, as that was ultimately the biggest deciding factor for me going to SG instead of a K3.

Interesting you say that. I used to hunt with a guy who had an Exo K3, and he loved it (mainly because it was his first high end pack, coming from Badlands). But every trip we went on, he complained that it sagged super bad and cut off circulation to his legs and hips. He just chalked it up to "oh well, that's what happens with packs with some weight in them." I'm convinced the biggest problem with modern packs is the cushiness in their frame and suspension systems, coupled with the soft, smooth outer material on the padding. Firm, supportive padding (like a good memory foam insole, for example) that forms to your back and shoulders is the best thing for carrying extreme loads. Too little padding and things dig into your back, too much padding and you can't cinch things down effectively or tight enough to get them to stay up off your butt.

I'll be interested to see if the K4 fixes these issues, as that was ultimately the biggest deciding factor for me going to SG instead of a K3.

I would love to see the specs on waist belt foams folks use. Kifaru has a taller belt, more surface area, and it seems to hold well, but the foam also (in my experience) doesn't seem to have much life. I am impressed with the foam SG uses. I've got no input on Exo foam. I think a taller belt with SG's foam would be best-in-class.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I would love to see the specs on waist belt foams folks use. Kifaru has a taller belt, more surface area, and it seems to hold well, but the foam also (in my experience) doesn't seem to have much life. I am impressed with the foam SG uses. I've got no input on Exo foam. I think a taller belt with SG's foam would be best-in-class.
This is from SG's pages, I believe they are still using a dual-density approach like MR has done, where there's different foams for inner and outer parts of the hip belt. I would agree, the foam and application of it with SG is dialed. MR has a really nice approach as well, although their belts tend to be thicker but shorter in height.
1672768413699.png

MT_Wyatt

WKR
There is a photo that shows rack attachment. I am calling tomorrow about it.
Yep - I looked at it closer and believe the load lifter extention straps on the top of the frame (to connect pack load lifters to frame top when using the load shelf) are what they are connected some accessory straps with. To do this, you could double-stack the ladder locks (only pass through (1) side for the bottom one, fully thread the top one) that way you have the load lifter extensions engaged, and you have an accessory strap that takes off this, which you can then buckle around something on top.

OR you can use that top horizontal compression strap on the back of the pack, like is in another photo, and buckle those accessory straps to either side of those.

I'd show w/photos but only have a Terminus (ie no load shelf) so can't really demonstrate.

On another note: The Krux Evo isn't a stand alone frame on the website listed now (packs are still there), so it appears the "new" Krux might phase that out? Looks to be ~5 oz gain, 2lb 7oz vs 2lb 12oz now. I didn't hear in the Black Label zoom if they covered that, but I think they talked about having the load shelfs sewn into the frame directly now instead of a ladder lock attachment.

lintond

WKR
I recently did my own unofficial pack test. Been a long time user of Kifaru but after having trouble with hip pain on several heavy pack outs I decided to at least give some others a try. So I got an XCurve and borrowed a friends K3. I definitely noticed the stiffer foam of the SG and the soft foam of the K3. The K3 was a distant third for me, and I am pretty sure I'm going to give the SG a run this season since it seems to stick to my back.

nobody

WKR
I recently did my own unofficial pack test. Been a long time user of Kifaru but after having trouble with hip pain on several heavy pack outs I decided to at least give some others a try. So I got an XCurve and borrowed a friends K3. I definitely noticed the stiffer foam of the SG and the soft foam of the K3. The K3 was a distant third for me, and I am pretty sure I'm going to give the SG a run this season since it seems to stick to my back.
Yup. Soft does not equal comfortable. Structure and rigidity in the foam means the foam will break in and form to your skeletal structure. Too soft or too much foam and it'll never form properly, and you'll fight hip pain and restricted blood flow to your legs. There's a fine line though, and not enough padding leads to the same problem. SG just gets it.

On another note: The Krux Evo isn't a stand alone frame on the website listed now (packs are still there), so it appears the "new" Krux might phase that out? Looks to be ~5 oz gain, 2lb 7oz vs 2lb 12oz now. I didn't hear in the Black Label zoom if they covered that, but I think they talked about having the load shelfs sewn into the frame directly now instead of a ladder lock attachment.
I noticed that too! Looks like you can pick your frame, bag, and color now for everything but the EVOs. I love my 40/56, but I wonder if they’re streamlining their lineup and consolidating to the sky series packs with a frame choice.

The new Krux frame seems to just be a flat stayed xcurve, too

nobody

WKR
I noticed that too! Looks like you can pick your frame, bag, and color now for everything but the EVOs. I love my 40/56, but I wonder if they’re streamlining their lineup and consolidating to the sky series packs with a frame choice.

The new Krux frame seems to just be a flat stayed xcurve, too
If that's the case, it makes sense. Earlier this fall they did a custom job for me, they put straight frame stays in an X Curve frame sheet. If it simplifies their manufacturing processes by only carrying one frame sheet, it would make sense for them to do that.

If that's the case, it makes sense. Earlier this fall they did a custom job for me, they put straight frame stays in an X Curve frame sheet. If it simplifies their manufacturing processes by only carrying one frame sheet, it would make sense for them to do that.
Yeah I didn’t even think about that. I’m curious where the weigh difference exists. Do you think there’s that much of a difference between the flat and curved stays? I bought my 40/56 on Facebook and it came with both sets of stays, so I guess I could weigh mine and compare.

nobody

WKR
Yeah I didn’t even think about that. I’m curious where the weigh difference exists. Do you think there’s that much of a difference between the flat and curved stays? I bought my 40/56 on Facebook and it came with both sets of stays, so I guess I could weigh mine and compare.
I haven’t weighed it to compare or find out, but according to their website, the new Krux frame looks like it’s now set up with the same frame sheet as the X Curve. So same material, only difference being the frame stays. The new Krux weighs 4 oz. Less than the X Curve. IME on the items I HAVE weighed, they don’t lie on the website. I’m guessing the difference is 4 ounces. I trust SG.

The straight stays are hollow, and the x curve stays are solid, but they’re both carbon. So it makes sense the Krux is a little lighter.

FWIW, I didn’t have them do it because I wanted to save weight. I wanted the Krux frame because their testing and fitting indicated that’s what I needed (no curve to my back), but they were out of the Krux Evo frame sheets at the time. So they offered to put the straight stays into the x curve frame sheet for me. Otherwise I would’ve just bought the Krux Evo frame at the time. It still Carrie’s weight like a boss though, I love the pack 😊 mismatched bag and frame colors and all haha

I haven’t weighed it to compare or find out, but according to their website, the new Krux frame looks like it’s now set up with the same frame sheet as the X Curve. So same material, only difference being the frame stays. The new Krux weighs 4 oz. Less than the X Curve. IME on the items I HAVE weighed, they don’t lie on the website. I’m guessing the difference is 4 ounces. I trust SG.

The straight stays are hollow, and the x curve stays are solid, but they’re both carbon. So it makes sense the Krux is a little lighter.

FWIW, I didn’t have them do it because I wanted to save weight. I wanted the Krux frame because their testing and fitting indicated that’s what I needed (no curve to my back), but they were out of the Krux Evo frame sheets at the time. So they offered to put the straight stays into the x curve frame sheet for me. Otherwise I would’ve just bought the Krux Evo frame at the time. It still Carrie’s weight like a boss though, I love the pack 😊 mismatched bag and frame colors and all haha

Yeah the flat stays ended up fitting me better too, but I always wanted to try the xcurve hip belt. I feel like that would be the best of both worlds. I might have to try one of the new frames…

Ltsheets

Lil-Rokslider
Any clue when the release date for the K4 will be?

Wrongside

WKR
Am I the only one who hates lopsided bags?
Nope. My 10 yr old SO pack is getting a little worn and is due for replacement. I don't care for some of their newer 'design features', but want a 'waterproof' fabric pack still. So the big Terminus is appealing, but that left side spotter pocket...