New to Concealed Carry, Holsters???

h2so4

WKR
I used the vanguard in a similar setup for awhile. Then I dropped the claw and switched to a metal clip. The metal clip is shockingly powerful and stable. I swapped back to the claw/plastic clip for 2-3 weeks recently and then back to my metal clip/ no claw yesterday. It was amazing how much more comfortable the lack of claw and metal clip Made it. Just some additional info as you refine the setup. To run a metal clip with no claw, you’ll need a spacer. Raven Concealment will send it to you or add it to an Order for little to no cost.

spc7669

Lil-Rokslider
I use several holsters and guns depending on where I’m going and what I’m doing.
Gym shorts-Glock 43 in a sticky
Warm weather with a belt-Glock 43 in a Raven Morrigan or Glock 26 in an Incog
Hunting or anywhere I feel I need a bit more-Glock 17 with light in a Bravo Concealment OWB under a shirt or jacket.
Try stuff, practice a ton, and take some CC classes.

h2so4

WKR
What setup works with gym shorts on a g43? Which sticky? Doesn’t pull your shorts down?

spc7669

Lil-Rokslider
What setup works with gym shorts on a g43? Which sticky? Doesn’t pull your shorts down?
It’s either the Sticky small or medium. I don’t recall which. It works fine with gym shorts with this caveat; I wear Hylete or Savage Tactician shorts. Mostly because they are comfortable as heck, but they also have a drawstring and a wide waistband which seems the give the holster more fabric to grab. I’ve never had a problem with it pulling my shorts down. However, anytime I wear the sticky I’m very retention conscious since it doesn’t have any.

spur60

Lil-Rokslider
The only time I would ever carry appendix is if I thought it was likely I'd have to draw from inside a vehicle. Considering that most people aren't running personal protection convoys, 4 oclock conceals more effectively and is generally more natural. Get a Crossbreed Supertuck for your 365 and it's very likely that you'll eliminate all the guesswork and trial-and-error mentioned above in this thread.

If you have an average to athletic body shape, appendix prints much less than 4 o'clock with the same gun, and the draw stroke is faster. You also have a much easier time looking at the gun as you re-holster.

spc7669

Lil-Rokslider
It’s either the Sticky small or medium. I don’t recall which. It works fine with gym shorts with this caveat; I wear Hylete or Savage Tactician shorts. Mostly because they are comfortable as heck, but they also have a drawstring and a wide waistband which seems the give the holster more fabric to grab. I’ve never had a problem with it pulling my shorts down. However, anytime I wear the sticky I’m very retention conscious since it doesn’t have any.
Had to go to the store after my workout this morning...
C4B3ACBE-4831-4046-A6CE-FBC5C84B6986.jpeg92DFEADE-DD17-4FD7-9880-8BB8FEA40569.jpeg

spur60

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Texas and have tried pretty much every carry method over the years and find that carrying a sub-compact in my front pocket to be the most comfortable EDC for me. I had never seriously considered it until I was talking to a firearms instructor who encouraged me to try it.

Pocket carry is a great option, as long as you break the habit of storing anything else in that pocket and use a holster designed for pocket carry that still has retention.

I have several holsters and the Sticky is my preferred holster. No...I don't put my G22 & Sticky in my pocket, I wear it IWB with a proper belt. I tested the retention by inverting myself in this:

inversiontable.jpeg

My Glock stayed put, no slippage. I can transfer the holster from my 3 O'clock to the magnet in the vehicle without being noticed...takes literally one second. I like that...no gun or holster digging into my side while I drive. Most holsters become a problem once you fasten the seatbelt.

Lastly, putting the Sticky on the pistol before tucking it in under your belt is no big deal and how often are you drawing your weapon and rapidly reholstering it? Maybe for training but those courses often require an OWB holster anyway. For EDC the Sticky is fine, comfortable and safe. To each his/her own.

spur60

Lil-Rokslider
I have several holsters and the Sticky is my preferred holster. No...I don't put my G22 & Sticky in my pocket, I wear it IWB with a proper belt. I tested the retention by inverting myself in this:

My Glock stayed put, no slippage. I can transfer the holster from my 3 O'clock to the magnet in the vehicle without being noticed...takes literally one second. I like that...no gun or holster digging into my side while I drive. Most holsters become a problem once you fasten the seatbelt.

Lastly, putting the Sticky on the pistol before tucking it in under your belt is no big deal and how often are you drawing your weapon and rapidly reholstering it? Maybe for training but those courses often require an OWB holster anyway. For EDC the Sticky is fine, comfortable and safe. To each his/her own.

My comment was actually a video link. I guess since you're using a sticky IWB it isn't as unsafe as pocket model.

I'm torn on the vehicle magnet aspect...I understand the comfort requirement (took me a while to find a gun/holster/belt combo that was comfortable while driving), but the thought of my gun flying around or accidentally forgotten and made available/visible for theft deters me from using a magnet; as well as the additional administrative handling when entering/exiting the vehicle. I just steel cabled a pistol safe to my seat instead. We have a problem in my town with young wannabe thugs walking the streets at night looking for easy gun thefts from unlocked vehicles or vehicles with prominent 2A or hunting related stickers on them, so I'm very paranoid about leaving an unsecured gun in my vehicle for any length of time, and when I used a vehicle mounted holster I admittedly got complacent with leaving my gun in the vehicle quite often.

Well leaving a gun in your vehicle is illegal in many states and unwise in all of them so I too have a gun vault cable-locked under my seat however, as I come & go my firearm is always on me unless I'm driving.

g22sticky.JPG

The Sticky holster/magnet option gives me immediate access to my firearm, the holster protects it from scratches and when I hit this bolder and knocked it nearly 20', my gun remained secure.

IMG_2733.JPG
IMG_2736.JPG

This option works for me when few others did not. I hate the feeling of a pistol digging into my side while I drive. If someone were to unexpectedly open the car door to jack me, they cannot see my Glock (my leg hides it) so I could easily pretend to surrender to the carjacker, try to exit the truck without unbuckling (so he thinks I'm completely rattled and a non-threat) then grab my gun while turning to unbuckled myself. He'd never suspect I was exiting the vehicle armed, gun in hand. I could not do that with a traditional holster on my hip. I try and imagine what the most likely scenarios would be and then prepare for them. If you are in your vehicle and need a weapon, what conditions are most likely in that situation and how will you handle it? That's how I train.

Last edited:

seand

Lil-Rokslider
I use and prefer the raven concealment VG2 for appendix carry. I added the claw myself, they don’t offer it on the P365 holster. This is the “XL” pistol with the longer barrel. Not sure how well the regular p365 would work with this since the barrel is shorter, probably depends on body type.
I have a vedder lightuck on a M&P 2.0 compact (G19 size pistol) and the P365XL/VG2 is way more comfortable to me.

E7CF9052-79B3-44F7-9560-F7C96B9FE827.jpeg

Lots of good advice here.

consider taking a training class from a decent trainer in your area or a even a fly away 2-3 day class if you are serious.

some good books on the subject too. The Bible is thought to be the gun digest mas Ayoob book. Here are a few others.

Honestly, I have no idea. That’s how green I am. I really don’t even know the trade offs between them. Comfort vs accessibility? Standing or sitting? Clueless.

You can’t cheat the mountain

colersu22

WKR
I just got a gunfighters Inc solice hybrid which is leather backed and kydex shell, wearing at the 4 o’clock and it is very comfortable and conceals well with a Glock 19. I’m a fan of all the gunfighters inc holsters I have and they are veterans and they use to be local to me which made my choice when I started purchasing.