New Ultra Light Arms Rifles

TJE0705

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone shooting a NULA rifle? I just happened to inherit a Model 20 in 7mm-08. I called NULA about sending it back to get the stock refinished and Mr. Forbes told me it was one of the first rifles he ever built judging by the serial number. I thought that was pretty cool. The 7mm-08 is a new caliber for me and it’s a way different type rifle than I’m used to shooting in terms of stock, weight, ect. It has a very old vx3 3-9 on it which I’m thinking of replacing with one of the new CDS VX-3. Just wondering if anyone was using one of these and how they preform in terms of accuracy and at distance. Thanks for the info guys.

I have a 24B which is a poor man's./production version of the 24 oz (long) action, and it's a shooter.

You have something very special it sounds like. Shoot me a PM if you ever want to sell it ;)

Should be a real shooter, though lightweight rifles are less forgiving. I doubt many people would want to get into situations with it where you are taking shots at 500+ yards, never mind the fact that the 7mm-08 isn't really intended for hunting use at that range anyway. Should be the perfect rifle for backpack hunts in the backcountry where you can get within 300-400 yards, or a handy rifle for hunting from an elevated position. Seriously, let me know if you are thinking of selling, lol

280ack

FNG
Sir, Melvin Forbes builds great rifles. I am fortunate that I have 3, a model 24 in 280AI and 2 m20's one in 257AI and one in 284 Win. I believe you will find his rifles to be a great performing rifle. The stock as you may know is of his own design and the build process of that stock is his as well. Unless the original owner mistreated the rifle yours should give you joy. The 7-08 is a very capable round with bullet weight options for small game to moose. My rifles, with handloads have produced 1/2" to 3/4" 5 shot groups with little effort. I have shot elk and antelope with my rifles. Distance accuracy has been very good. Shooting a very low-weight rifle will take some getting used to. Its different thank an 8-9 pound gun in the field and off the bench. I have suggestions if you are interested. I also would be careful with scope choices, bigger and heavy scopes affect the balance. Two of the best scopes for me were the VX3 2.5-8 and the Leupold compact 3-9x, try not to fall into the bigger is the better model.
Several of my hunting friends have also found his rifles to be excellent, Enjoy your rifle.

jeffpg

WKR
I have a pristine, never hunted NULA in 300 Win Mag that I obtained in a rather complicated trade several years ago. I put a Kahles AH 3-9x42 scope on it and fired a couple of beautiful cloverleaf groups with it at 200 yards with Hornady Superformance 180 gr SST ammo. It went into my safe and only comes out for a viewing occasionally. I know I should probably hunt it but it’s like a work of art that I hate to use and I have so many other hunting rifles to go to.

wyosteve

WKR
I just picked up a ULA in .17 Rem. I haven't shot it yet, but the 'factory test' target that came with it had a .5 in. 3 shot group. Weighs 5 lbs. 8 oz. with a 3-9 Leupold on it!

OP
T

TJE0705

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have any recommendations on what scope I should replace the old one with? Needs to be 1 inch main tube and lightweight. It has an old Vari-x iii 2.5-8 on it which is great weight wise but is beat up big time and I don’t necessarily trust it.

TxxAgg

WKR
7mm-08 is a great round.

I had this scope on a lightweight rifle

A Leupold 2.5-8x36 or Swaro Z3 3-9x36 would work nicely also

jeffpg

WKR
Anyone have any recommendations on what scope I should replace the old one with? Needs to be 1 inch main tube and lightweight. It has an old Vari-x iii 2.5-8 on it which is great weight wise but is beat up big time and I don’t necessarily trust it.
Yeah, I know exactly what you need.
Find yourself a Kahles AH 3-9x42 with the TDS reticle. I run them on several ultralight rifles & they are perfect IMO.

Milestown

FNG
I just picked up a ULA in .17 Rem. I haven't shot it yet, but the 'factory test' target that came with it had a .5 in. 3 shot group. Weighs 5 lbs. 8 oz. with a 3-9 Leupold on it!
Let us know how it shoots. If you decide to sell it let me know.

Hal

280ack

FNG
The Leupold 2.5-8x is a "golden ring" they are guaranteed for life, send it back to Leupold ? The 3.5-10 is a larger and heavier scope, great scope but a different size class - where will you be hunting ? The Leupold 1-5x is also a very nice size and weight if you don't get illuminated reticles...

wyosteve

WKR
Will do Hal. Hope to get it out next week. I also have a Rem. 700 Grade I in .17 Rem., with the most beautiful wood I've seen on a Grade I. Too pretty to drag around to shoot it!

Milestown

FNG
Will do Hal. Hope to get it out next week. I also have a Rem. 700 Grade I in .17 Rem., with the most beautiful wood I've seen on a Grade I. Too pretty to drag around to shoot.
Post a few pictures if you get a chance. It always nice to see fine firearms.

Hal

You could always send in the old one to leupold to have them check it out. You'd only be out the shipping. For a set and forget scope the Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40 would be hard to beat. I have a NULA in 284 and its one of my favorite rifles. Possibly one of the best if not the best lightweight mountain rifles ever made. The short action NULA is hard to beat. What contour and barrel length?

CentralFLMike

Lil-Rokslider
Check the Meopta MeoPro line of scopes.

hodgeman

WKR
Leave that scope on it...those Vari-x III scopes were plenty tough and if it's not giving you problems, don't worry about it. I actually think my older Leupold scopes are more reliable than my new ones.

Liftman101

Lil-Rokslider
If you are really trying for the lowest weight, try to find a Leupold VX-2 Ultralight. 2-7 is just over 8 oz. The 3-9 is 9.4 oz. If you want a great scope the Vortex Razor HD LH are fantastic. They are discontinued but are very light weight and made with 1" tubes unlike the new LHT models. The 2-10 is 15 oz and the 3-15 is 16.4 oz.

Liftman101

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone use an actual NULA New Ultralight Arms rifle? has anyone compared it to a Forbes or a Barrett Fieldcraft. Apparently the Forbes rifles were not up to par with the original Ultralight Arms (Before it was sold to Colt) or the NULA rifles. Perhaps the stock was not the same quality as the hand built versions from the original or the current company although I thought the stocks were built by NULA and shipped to Forbes rifle.

Last edited: