New used truck

I have seen a couple posts on here about new used trucks and I figured I would throw this out to my fellow sliders. Right now I have a 2015 3/4 ton gas GMC. We sold our campers (fifth wheel and than a toy hauler) so nothing big to pull. Just a drift boat and an occasional two place snowmachine trailer. The truck sits in the garage most of the time as I have another vehicle for my daily driver. My other vehicle is a half ton Chevy which is a heck of lot more comfortable to drive. My wife likes to ride in it a lot more and the gas mileage is a lot better. This got me thinking of trading the 3/4 ton in on a half ton. I am just looking at suggestions for trucks guys are loving. I have been looking at Chevy/gmc, ford, dodge, and Nissan. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jebuwh

Lil-Rokslider
I would only go with Ecoboost in a half ton. And I have been a Toyota or Chevy guy my whole life. The motors are absolutely bomb proof, get great mileage for a gasser 1/2 ton, and the interiors on the Fords beat pretty much everybody else. Maybe the brand brand new that has changed, but i haven't spent enough time to tell ya.

If you haven't already check out the Ecoboost Torture test videos with Mike Rowe. Way cool.

I would agree with the ford interiors being nice. Having said that, I am on my second used tundra. They have some issues now and then - oxygen sensor on my older one and a tailgate rust defect on my newer one, but apart from that they just flat run. My buddies ford, by comparison has been in and out of the shop multiple times over the years. Don’t know much about eccoboost but I have heard good things. My 5.8L Tundra will do a bit over 21mpg highway and it hardly ever needs any work.

KJH

WKR
I think if i was looking at a 1/2 ton my first choice would be the Toyota Tundra then an F150 both in crew cab

I second this exact sentiment.

I went to a new Tundra in 2016 from a two year old F-150 King Ranch and have been nothing but super happy over 70,000 miles so far. It was the most cost effective truck purchase to get everything I wanted. The only downfall to the Tundra is fuel mileage. In the last decade I've bought several new pickups- GMC, Ford, and Toyota. Purely from a comfort standpoint, I'd pick the Toyota Tundra CrewMax, then F-150 Crew Cab, and then the Chevy/GMC. I don't care for the Dodge/Ram trucks at all... I have several friends that have them. I think I'll buy another Tundra as my next truck.

With all my 1/2 ton trucks I pull boats, a large snowmobile trailer, enclosed trailers, and flatbed trailers. They all pull comparably. I use them like trucks, but don't neglect or abuse them.

I got rid of the Ford because the ecoboost motor needed replaced at 39,000 miles. Very comfortable truck, but it really let me down as soon as it was out of warranty. On service alone, I'll opt away from Ford from now on, but I probably got the random lemon.

Neighbor bought a new Nissan, and I like it but haven't drive it.

dmc

FNG
I bought the 3.5 ecoboost and really do like it. I only do light duty towing as well and it way outperforms my old GMC 1500 in the mountains pulling an LJ jeep. Still not 100% sure on a 10 speed transmission but time will tell.

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
The Tundra frame just isn't strong enough for my taste, I'd buy almost any other brand truck before I would a Tundra - but then I live very rurally and drive forest service roads most of the time.

Check out this video comparing a Ford F150 frame to a Tundra frame.

Bisley45

Lil-Rokslider
I own a F150 with the 3.5 ecoboost and drive all the others for work trucks. I put almost 20k mile on a new tundra last year and it's an ok truck but drinks gas like a freshman drinking beer. My normal tank average is 14.4. We have a 2016 f150 with a 2.7 and it will get up and go for such a small motor, it's very easy to get 20+ mpg. We recently bought a new titan, it's heads and shoulders above the first gen titans, really nice truck but I don't have enough miles in it to give a good opinion. The GM 5.3 trucks have so many torque nannys such that they feel anemic in comparison. I wanted to like them more but I just can't, fuel mileage is ok in them though.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a 2018 Colorado long bed crewcab with the mini duramax. I absolutely love this thing. Built in trailer brakes and exhaust brake. Tows great, great mileage.

What are you towing? Those are catching my eye but even with tow mirrors I find the truck too narrow to see down the side of a camper.

Thanks for the reply! Man I like those tundras but they sure are proud of them. Would you look at the eco boost or just the 5.0?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I dont have any personal experience but my friend uses one for his work truck and he loves the evoboost. It has great power for towing and gets good mpg when not towing. They have been making ecoboost for awhile now so i think they have them pretty well figured out. I have always heard the Tundras get crappy mpg. Maybe the new ones are better.

Billinsd

WKR
I got rid of the Ford because the ecoboost motor needed replaced at 39,000 miles. Very comfortable truck, but it really let me down as soon as it was out of warranty. On service alone, I'll opt away from Ford from now on, but I probably got the random lemon
I was reading about the eco boost engine and read that Mazda was involved in the design. That's good enough for me, lol. Honestly, that engine looks real complicated with lots of wiz bang stuff on it. Scares the hell out me. I'd rather get a truck that drinks gas like a frat boy drinks beer. I can buy a lot of gas for the price of a new engine, even in California after the gas tax in January.
I got a little civic with a turbo and I'm a bit anxious about the turbo, but it's a honda, lol. When I bought the car the sales team tried to scare me into buying an extended warranty. I laughed out at the top of my lungs and said it's a Honda, you know they are infallible. 50k and nothing yet, so boring, lol. My 2002 Tacoma with 140,000 mostly sits in the garage, it's real boring too. Gets about 15 mph, and loves to drink gas and I'm more than happy to oblige. No maintenance issues, just fluid changes. No, I did change the plugs and wires and gas filter.

tttoadman

WKR
I have a 2018 Colorado long bed crewcab with the mini duramax. I absolutely love this thing. Built in trailer brakes and exhaust brake. Tows great, great mileage.

What are you towing? Those are catching my eye but even with tow mirrors I find the truck too narrow to see down the side of a camper.
Nothing really big. We were loaded over the truck capacity on our ID hunt, and we got about 25MPG on that trip.
I have towed a couple double axle uhaul trailers plus the loaded up truck. The rig is rated at 12,300 combined. It seems like a nice compromise.

The only thing I did is make the dealership put a set of 10ply tires on it.

adieatrick

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the reply! Man I like those tundras but they sure are proud of them. Would you look at the eco boost or just the 5.0?

I have a 2016 ecoboost 2.7 and would advise you to purchase the 3.5 if you are looking at one. I have had both and while there isn't much for noticeable power in towing, the longevity of the 3.5 is something note worthy. I have purchased multiple trucks through this company and was able to get a 100k mile warranty on the 2.7 and am glad I did. The truck has had the heads replaced twice due to excessive smoking when getting on the gas and the truck is currently at 67k miles. The only towing the pickup has done is a 3 spot ATV utility trailer. I will trade the truck before it hits 100k and go back to the 3.5 liter.