Nitto vs Toyo (265/60/20")

My brother is suggesting Nitto or Toyo for my GMC 2500. I currently have Falken ATs and they've been pretty underwhelming (as in spinning in wet grass).

The Nitto and Toyo tires that are a little more aggressive have great reviews with similar price. I thought of checking here to see if anyone had a suggestion for picking one over the other.

Thanks for any advice.

OP
menhaden_man
What is your tire pressure ?

I’m a big fan of falken wolf peak at3s
70 lbs. The guys at tire shop really talked up the Falkens but I don't recall ever sliding around so much on gravel, clay, and even my damned lawn. Hate having to use 4 wheel drive to pull out of my grass! I imagine they make better tires but another set of A/Ts are a hard pass for me.

Zdub02

WKR
I'm on my second set of Nittos and have had great luck with them. Rotate consistently to get full life . They have good traction on mud and grass in my experience.

Trr15

WKR
No experience with Toyo, but I’ve got Nitto Ridge grapplers on my diesel (Ram 2500). I’ve put maybe 12-15k on them and I’m happy with them so far. Tread life seems to be better than some of the others I’ve tried (BFG A/T, Goodyear Wrangler).

Duh

WKR
I had the Falkin A/T and M/T’s and prefer the M/Ts by a long shot. The M/T’s are surprisingly quiet compared to the toyos and duratracs. I only had them on a 1500 though.

The nittos wore out insanely fast when I tried them so I’m not a fan.

TxLite

WKR
Which tire?

I have 25k on the nitto recon grapplers 275/65r20 and they are terrible on wet or cold pavement. They’ve done fine for general offroading. They are wearing great but I plan to go Toyo open country at3 next.

My nitto terra g2’s went 75k before replacing and still had a little life in them. They also did better on wet pavement.

OP
menhaden_man
Here are a few that I'm checking out on Discount Tire website:

Nitto
  • RECON GRAPPLER A/T
  • RIDGE GRAPPLER

Toyo
  • OPEN COUNTRY A/T III

Duh

WKR
Had a set of toyo mt's that seemed to last for ever, hooked up pretty well too. But they changed something in the compound or something. Last 2 sets I had, I didnt get 30k out of them.....Never again
That was my experience with the Toyo too. Get them on rock and gravel and they get eaten alive.

Megalodon

Lil-Rokslider
Judging a tire by it's grip on wet grass is a pretty dumb exercise.

Here's a good review of the Falken compared to the Toyo: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=293

Toyo A/T III, Ridge Grapplers, and Wildpeak AT3W, are all pretty dang good tires. I've had the Nitto's and Falken's. Happy with both but probably won't be going back to the Nittos without a mileage warranty. Likely try out the Toyo's this season.

Also don't run your tires at freaking 70 psi unless you're towing.

aron

WKR
If you're looking at the Toyo A/T's I would consider the C/T's. I've had two sets of the A/T's and they have worn out quickly. C/T's held up much better. Also make sure ypu are getting the higher ply tires as well. A/T's for example have a higher and lower ply version.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

OP
menhaden_man
Judging a tire by it's grip on wet grass is a pretty dumb exercise.

Here's a good review of the Falken compared to the Toyo: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=293

Toyo A/T III, Ridge Grapplers, and Wildpeak AT3W, are all pretty dang good tires. I've had the Nitto's and Falken's. Happy with both but probably won't be going back to the Nittos without a mileage warranty. Likely try out the Toyo's this season.

Also don't run your tires at freaking 70 psi unless you're towing.

I am towing, trailers and boats... and slipping on wet grass wasn't a test, just an experience that happened often.

The grapplers have a mileage warranty (55k) so I may go that route.

wyosteve

WKR
I had Nittos on a previous Dodge/Cummins and was underwhelmed. Only lasted about 25k. My current Dodge/Cummins came with Nitro Ridge Grqpplers, but only have 2k miles so the jury is out on them. Never ran Toyo's, but my neighbor liked them.

Luked

WKR
I have Nitto Ridge Grapplers right now on my truck, But cant say much about them as I jsut bought the truck last week.
When I do go to replace tires ill be going with BF Goodrich A/T.
Have ran multiple sets of them and have always had great luck and the wear like iron.

I'm on the second set of Ridge Grapplers on my Power Wagon, 35x12.5r17s. I am pleased with the wear, the first set had 30k on them (maybe 3-5k left) when I preemptively replaced them due to the number of hunts I have coming up this season, especially late season snow hunts, and didn't want to deal with doing tires mid-season. Tires aren't magic though, a 32" tire on a 20" wheel is always going to suck offroad.

Last edited: