Nitto vs Toyo (265/60/20")

OP
menhaden_man
1 ton. 80 towing. 65 when empty it is smother. Yes it’s a pain to air up all the time. With inflation tires are pretty darn expensive now a days. At least 1/2 a calf worth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 65 up front and 70 in the back, all the time. But all the big miles are paved roads. Maybe I should back off.

OP
menhaden_man
Being a self-professed hardcore and technically competent overlander with a diesel...Nitto no question.

I've run through 3x sets of Wildpeak AT3W's in the last two years, prior to that I ran both the BFG KO2's and Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac. I did not have a single pair of AT3W's make it beyond 30k miles. KO2's lasted fine but scary in the rain on pavement, Duratracs great but found myself spinning out when starting from a dead stop uphill on wet pavement and rolling backwards.

I'm not going to lie, at this point in my overlanding addiction I consider anyone who recommends KO2's or AT3W's as a groupie forum warrior. No offense to anyone, but...horrid tires for a diesel.

Nitto or Mickey's will blow anything else out of the water. If you want great on-pavement and off-road performance, can't go wrong with Ridge Grapplers. If you lean more heavily toward off-road driving and less pavement pounding, then Baja Boss' are a good starting point in the same class. Personally, I'm a huge Ridge Grappler fan as a great balance on-road and off-road.

Skip the AT3W's and KO2's though, hype and way past their technological prime, respectively.
Thanks - better to hear from the guys with diesel trucks.

Thanks - better to hear from the guys with diesel trucks.
Discount Tire had to refund me on my last two sets of Wildpeaks. They thought I had lemons, but it turned out the tires just didn't agree with my Duramax and wore out way, way, within the warrantied mileage. 70:30 on-road vs. off-road driving.

I am a stickler for getting regular rotations, balancing, and alignments as well, as I have soft suspension on my truck and it tends to loosen things up at speed on backroads. DT couldn't point to anything but the tires themselves being the problem.

Ridge Grapplers have been 10/10 improvement across the board for me, huge Nitto fan now. I will never buy another KO2 or Falken, myself.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
Being a self-professed hardcore and technically competent overlander with a diesel...Nitto no question.

I've run through 3x sets of Wildpeak AT3W's in the last two years, prior to that I ran both the BFG KO2's and Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac. I did not have a single pair of AT3W's make it beyond 30k miles. KO2's lasted fine but scary in the rain on pavement, Duratracs great but found myself spinning out when starting from a dead stop uphill on wet pavement and rolling backwards.

I'm not going to lie, at this point in my overlanding addiction I consider anyone who recommends KO2's or AT3W's as a groupie forum warrior. No offense to anyone, but...horrid tires for a diesel.

Nitto or Mickey's will blow anything else out of the water. If you want great on-pavement and off-road performance, can't go wrong with Ridge Grapplers. If you lean more heavily toward off-road driving and less pavement pounding, then Baja Boss' are a good starting point in the same class. Personally, I'm a huge Ridge Grappler fan as a great balance on-road and off-road.

Skip the AT3W's and KO2's though, hype and way past their technological prime, respectively.
Good stuff @The Ri Guy . Thanks for posting your experience.

The Wildpeaks are P rated but can take some gnarly off-roading. It seems they have an extra ply in the sidewall even though they are P rated.

As an overlander, you almost certainly encounter more gnarly roads than I have encountered , but IMHO the Wildpeaks are top notch given their P rating, but damn they are noisy as all get out. They are at 30k miles now and this started at about 12k miles. The first 12k miles were perfect on and off road. I'll be lucky to get 40k out of them.

What's your experience with the P rated Ridge Grappler's on-road? Are they noisy?

Thanks,

Eddie

OP
menhaden_man
Discount Tire had to refund me on my last two sets of Wildpeaks. They thought I had lemons, but it turned out the tires just didn't agree with my Duramax and wore out way, way, within the warrantied mileage. 70:30 on-road vs. off-road driving.

I am a stickler for getting regular rotations, balancing, and alignments as well, as I have soft suspension on my truck and it tends to loosen things up at speed on backroads. DT couldn't point to anything but the tires themselves being the problem.

Ridge Grapplers have been 10/10 improvement across the board for me, huge Nitto fan now. I will never buy another KO2 or Falken, myself.
I’m driving a 2019 Duramax - about same 70/30 as you (maybe 60/40), but dragging 4-10,000 lbs once a week or more.

The Wildpeaks are P rated but can take some gnarly off-roading. It seems they have an extra ply in the sidewall even though they are P rated.

As an overlander, you almost certainly encounter more gnarly roads than I have encountered , but IMHO the Wildpeaks are top notch given their P rating, but damn they are noisy as all get out. They are at 30k miles now and this started at about 15k miles. I'll be lucky to get 40k out of them.

What's your experience with the P rated Ridge Grappler's on-road? Are they noisy?

Thanks,

Eddie
RG's silent on road compared to all of my Wildpeak sets.

Actually kind of scary. For the first week I had them I was driving windows down everywhere trying to figure out all my truck sounds I'd never heard before over the noise of my Wildpeaks, KO2's, DuraTracs, etc. RG's are like clouds on my truck, still absolutely in love with them today.

I will give the AT3W's credit where it's due, they performed flawlessly off-road despite being a fairly shallow tread, especially at 40+ MPH. In all honesty I had no complaints with my AT3W's aside from noise, hard ride, and wearing out at 1/2 the warrantied mileage multiple times over, which was my biggest problem when spending $250+ a tire.

I have a buddy who runs them on his Tacoma and has not had any of the issues I had. I think they're a great tire -- but not for a diesel truck, in my experience.

Relevant pic attached. Wild Peaks doing 70 down a two-track in late-summer WA high desert.

IMG_6140.jpg

I've got 60k on wildpeaks on my f150 right now. They are the load range e and have been an awesome tire imo. I've been debating whether to get them or the P rated version as the price has gone up significantly. I do mostly highway but do go off road quite a bit in hunting season/winter.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Look at the BFG kO2's 65k out of the first set. 2016 Duramax pulling with it 30% of the time 9k. Covers all the train I will ever take this big truck. Sxs gets all the mudding!

Dads nittos haven't lasted in his. But it's a different truck. Dodge diesel

What do you guys recommend for rough rock roads? Not really off-roading, but my Silverado spends more than 50% of it's miles cruising rock roads. I've got to get new tires this week. Goodyear w/Kevlar made it less than 30k.

BCsteve

WKR

As an overlander, you almost certainly encounter more gnarly roads than I have encountered , but IMHO the Wildpeaks are top notch given their P rating, but damn they are noisy as all get out. They are at 30k miles now and this started at about 12k miles. The first 12k miles were perfect on and off road. I'll be lucky to get 40k out of them.

Thanks,

Eddie
Just to clarify, your Wildpeaks maybe P rated but they also come in LT's. Mine are LT's.

OP
menhaden_man
What do you guys recommend for rough rock roads? Not really off-roading, but my Silverado spends more than 50% of it's miles cruising rock roads. I've got to get new tires this week. Goodyear w/Kevlar made it less than 30k.
Is it a 1500?

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've had both. The Nitto's were loud as hell on my 1/2 ton. Now with a 3/4 ton I had Toyo open country's on it and I thought they were better on road noise. Just put a set of Maxxis Razr MT's on, less road noise than the Toyo's and so far I'm liking them.

I have been using Nitto terra grappler for over a dozen years. G2 since they came out. Minimum of 40k miles per set. Using on a ton dually, more trailer on the truck then not, and GVWR past 30k frequently.

Might be something better for lifespan, but for a truck in the field and on gravel a lot I am happy with what I get out of them, especially with a Ram front end the way they eat tires with 80 or 90 tho tolerance on ball joints.

Getting a new set this week, I can check how long these went, I'm thinking 45-46k but not positive.

Got 41k out of this set. Could have gone a bit more, but going on a trip and wanted a balanced set.

I'm brutal on tires, trailers off road I tend to cut them up pretty good.

The LT rated Wildpeaks have deeper thread then the RG and most other AT's in their category.
I didn't have LT's on my diesel, that being said I was being a smart ass in my comment because of how fast the tread wore out on my 3 sets of AT3Ws.

I believe the stock depth is identical to my Ridge Grapplers on my truck.

BCsteve

WKR
I didn't have LT's on my diesel, that being said I was being a smart ass in my comment because of how fast the tread wore out on my 3 sets of AT3Ws.

I believe the stock depth is identical to my Ridge Grapplers on my truck.
Oh ya, I could see P rated tires wearing down quickly on a diesel.

jsb04

FNG
I’ve had both the Nitto Ridge Grapplers and Toyo A/T III, both were pretty good sets of tires. I have no real preference for either brand, wouldn’t hesitate to buy either tire again

Clarence

WKR
Almost 70 k on my Ridge grapplers. Will put another 4000 taking them to Co in a month. Still too much tread to justify replacing them. Generally chain up on fs roads that time of year anyway. They are all I have found that are competent off road, and not sketchy driving hard on wet pavement. Few do both well, fewer do both well and get good wear. My only knock on them is they get noisier with wear. Rotate every 5000 and run 55 psi when not towing.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

OP
menhaden_man
I pulled the trigger today on Ridge Grapplers, 10 ply. Pretty impressed so far.

The guys at the shop confirmed that some of the other options (like my Falken AT) just don’t hold up as well with that heavy engine and torque. Don’t think I’ll need 4x4 to get out of my lawn now. Time will tell!

The tire shop owner also recommended 65 in the front and 75 in the back all the time.

Appreciate all the advice.