Nitto vs Toyo (265/60/20")

I’ve been happy with the Toyo AT III’s as well. 8/32-9/32 left with 37k miles on them.

I have been using Nitto terra grappler for over a dozen years. G2 since they came out. Minimum of 40k miles per set. Using on a ton dually, more trailer on the truck then not, and GVWR past 30k frequently.

Might be something better for lifespan, but for a truck in the field and on gravel a lot I am happy with what I get out of them, especially with a Ram front end the way they eat tires with 80 or 90 tho tolerance on ball joints.

Getting a new set this week, I can check how long these went, I'm thinking 45-46k but not positive.

ToolMann

WKR
Had some Toyo MT on my lifted 2008 Ram Megacab that were phenomenal. On my 2017 I've had the factory installed Firestone (complete garbage), Cooper AT and Falken Wildpeak. Will likely stick with the Falken when I get a new set this winter. Might give BFG TA a try. Loved them on my half tons but still unsure of putting them on the heavier truck.

Loo.wii

WKR
70 lbs. The guys at tire shop really talked up the Falkens but I don't recall ever sliding around so much on gravel, clay, and even my damned lawn. Hate having to use 4 wheel drive to pull out of my grass! I imagine they make better tires but another set of A/Ts are a hard pass for me.
I don’t doubt your experience I think my good experience with these tires is because of me driving a smaller truck (Toyota Tacoma)

Have had all those tires you have and looking at. Here's my ranking.

1) Toyo AT3 (50k)
2) Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT (currently 30k)
3) Wild Peak At3 (50k)
4) Nitto Ridge Grappler (46k)
5) Nitto Terra Grappler (44k)

All tire were rotate at 5k and all last within 44k-50k. I usually swap out 6k-8k early (cuz Montana Snow). Currently on the MT Baja Boss. Toyo AT3 wins out due to ease of balance, quiet even at high mileage, three peak snow rated. Only downside is side wall is 2ply, hence went with Baja Boss but they're super heavy and you better have good tire shop for balancing!

I drive a Chevy 3500. I’m on my second set of nitro ridge grapplers. Came with the Michelins drove those till 27k and went to nitto. The first set made it to 91k now on my second set of ridge graps and I’m at 102k. I keep them at 80psi and rotate them every oil change

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No experience with nitto, but have over 110k miles between 2 sets of Toyo M/Ts, last set didnt last as long as the first but I have never had any issues with them and I hunt multiple states per year, these are on a 2003 Taco so a little lighter truck. Just put a set of the Toyo R/T Trails on to see if I can get slightly better fuel milage, the R/T Trails are significantly quieter as well.

The Toyo R/T standard should be a good, long lasting tire on you heavier 2500 and be more aggressive than the Falken Wildpeak A/T.

My tires have all been 265/75/16 Load range E.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
If you tow get some good quality 10 ply load range e 80 psi tires that are meant for hauling. I LOVE my Ridge grapplers on my wrangler but I’d never choose them or their competitors first for dedicated hauling truck.

summs

Lil-Rokslider
I have 2005 ram 2500 with toyo H/T 265/70/r17 E (high way terrain) and with 30k miles, im hoping to get 10k more, but I dont think it's going to happen. Very surprised especially with a highway tread tire.

Im shopping around trying to see if I can find a good deal in the next year. I dislike cooper tires, will be going to a more aggressive tire, even though the H/T tire did just fine in Maine winters, and slick boat ramps and even grass!

OP
menhaden_man
As stupid of an obstacle as it is, wet grass and 70 psi is tough on traction no mater what tire you're using.
It’s gonna be hard to adjust PSI in between pulling trailers… surely someone had a 3/4T diesel with tires that grip?

Being a self-professed hardcore and technically competent overlander with a diesel...Nitto no question.

I've run through 3x sets of Wildpeak AT3W's in the last two years, prior to that I ran both the BFG KO2's and Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac. I did not have a single pair of AT3W's make it beyond 30k miles. KO2's lasted fine but scary in the rain on pavement, Duratracs great but found myself spinning out when starting from a dead stop uphill on wet pavement and rolling backwards.

I'm not going to lie, at this point in my overlanding addiction I consider anyone who recommends KO2's or AT3W's as a groupie forum warrior. No offense to anyone, but...horrid tires for a diesel.

Nitto or Mickey's will blow anything else out of the water. If you want great on-pavement and off-road performance, can't go wrong with Ridge Grapplers. If you lean more heavily toward off-road driving and less pavement pounding, then Baja Boss' are a good starting point in the same class. Personally, I'm a huge Ridge Grappler fan as a great balance on-road and off-road.

Skip the AT3W's and KO2's though, hype and way past their technological prime, respectively.