NM Elk Unit Help

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
I moved to NM a few months ago and I'm looking for help in picking an elk unit/units to apply for next year. I've been doing some research but can't find much stuff that is very recent on how fires, wolves, rainfall, etc. has changed things in recent years. So far I've honed in on 13, 15, the 16's, and 17. I live just south of the Gila in Silver City, giving me time to scout all of these units.

This will be my first elk hunt and I'm not sure who will be going with me yet. It will likely be my brother and/or dad, who have just as little experience as I. Hiring a guide isn't financially feasible this year. I'm not opposed to packing in and camping, I actually expect it, but it's another thing I've never done before. I'm not exactly gung-ho about hiking 10s of miles into the Gila Wilderness to camp for two weeks for my first camp out elk hunt. I'm really just looking for advice on which of these units fit the bill for an inexperienced hunter on a DIY hunt without being super remote.

Brooks

WKR
Living in Silver City, just go scout some of those units they all hold elk. All those units are hard to draw,very sought after units. Some are bow and muzzleloader only, some are any weapon. Put in for any of them and if you do draw you are close enough to scout it every chance you get until the season starts. Elk live in rough places and all those units can be rough.

BBob

WKR
You don't have to go to the ends of the earth "super remote" to kill elk in the Gila but you can if you want. Odds are long so you may have many years ahead to scout before you ever even draw a tag.

Pmiller45

FNG
My 2 cents.. Lots of amazing Unit options near you. If you want to gain experience with a killing tool in your hands then target a first season archery tag sept 1-15. As a resident, unless you have terrible luck you won’t have to wait years to draw.

Put your most desired unit with lowest odds first, then follow with your second and third. Don’t be scared off by B if you’re in decent shape it has better than most of the odds you will find in the 13-17 range and you live close enough that you can figure it out.

Even if you don’t pull a tag first go around, spend as much time as you can in the different units during the fall helping others, camping, or cruising country. The knowledge you gain will serve you well when it’s your turn and let you know which unit you really want a tag in the future. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk