NM Unit 15

4IDARCHER

WKR
My dream unit in NM is 16A or 16D, but even with an outfitter the draw odds hurt. Anyone ever compare Unit 15 to the 16's and how did you think it stacked up?

Generally, 15 is a bit more gentle than A/D, but there are MANY exceptions to this rule. Another difference is that 15 is a primitive weapons only hunt (archery and muzzleloader) if you're a bow hunter this isn't a matter that you'll really be concerned about. Its a exceptional unit either way and if you drew it you'd have a great hunt.

Odds aren't THAT much better than A/D, but if thats what you want consider making a D hunt your 1st choice, a 15 hunt your 2nd and a lessor, easier to draw unit be your 3rd.

chops24

WKR
Generally, 15 is a bit more gentle than A/D, but there are MANY exceptions to this rule. Another difference is that 15 is a primitive weapons only hunt (archery and muzzleloader) if you're a bow hunter this isn't a matter that you'll really be concerned about. Its a exceptional unit either way and if you drew it you'd have a great hunt.

Odds aren't THAT much better than A/D, but if thats what you want consider making a D hunt your 1st choice, a 15 hunt your 2nd and a lessor, easier to draw unit be your 3rd.

Good advice here. you will be in elk in either unit. 15 is easier walking which makes it harder to get away from people in my experience. If i could choose every year it would be D, then A, then 15.

Unit 15 has higher tag numbers but also the same genetic potential as the 16s, 15 is a giant unit with many different types of terrain, all can produce a giant it just depends on you.

Beendare

WKR
Is 16 or 15 better for glassing?

Since you are new here....I will be nice- grin

16 is broken into multiple units- A,B,C, D, E and there are some considerable differences between them. E is probably the easiest to glass. You can glass all of them....but they are mostly timbered....so glassing isn't a great strategy in 15 or any of the 16 units.

welcome to the forum BTW.

______

Well thats awful kind of ya beendare, appreciate it. Grin
I should have specified D. There seems to be some higher ground lookouts, but I suspect those see alot of boots, even with fairly low tag numbers.

Anybody got dem honey holes for 15?
Really? Prefer 16 if your offering lol.
I get it, new member and draw results are out.
To be honest I hadn't heard of rokslide, so joined while doing some research. Didnt ask for anyones “Honey hole”. An area 16 tag deserves a guys full attention, research, boot leather and commitment.

elkguy

Lil-Rokslider
For someone that has hunted this in the past few years - What size of bulls does this unit produce?

KHNC

WKR
Really? Prefer 16 if your offering lol.
I get it, new member and draw results are out.
To be honest I hadn't heard of rokslide, so joined while doing some research. Didnt ask for anyones “Honey hole”. An area 16 tag deserves a guys full attention, research, boot leather and commitment.
I have hunted 16a A couple of times. That was my first choice, and 15 was my 2nd. I drew my 3rd. I know nothing about 15 and was curious.

Ah, gotcha.
I’d offer some info up, but havent hunted 15 either. I am headed into 16D in October.

Firewater

FNG
A lot of bulls in 15, I’ve helped people on that hunt. I’ve been throughout that unit and seen elk in all areas. Good luck.

15 is a good unit. Lots of country to cover and great bulls can be had...even in the sleeper units.

Robdog20

FNG
I’ve hunted 16D archery before. If you do you’re homework and are willing to move you’ll be in elk the entire hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk