Nosler Accubonds vs Partitions

So for the past two seasons I have been using 250gr Accubonds out of a Brown Precision 338 WM, previously I was using either 225gr or 250gr Partitions. The initial shots with the Accubonds were lethal on both elk (both were hit thru the lungs at 300 and 350 yards), but the bullets zipped right thru both elk and required follow up shots. In contrast, when using the partitions on elk and aoudad, the bullet still exited the animal but the damage from the initial shots (once again both thru the lungs at 300 and 400 yards) was enough to drop the animal or drop within 15-20 feet.

The reason I bring this to the LR page is that I get better consistent groupings with the Accubonds than the Partitions. I am comfortable with my scope and rifle out to 1k on paper/gong, and 600 in a hunting situation. Trying to decide if I go back to the old partition or stick with the Accubonds.

Either way the .338WM will remain my go-to for elk and up.
Have you looked at the terminal ascent? They seem like they combine the good traits of the AB and partition… I don’t know about their lower impact speed performance, but they seem to disrupt more than the accubond, and make a nasty wound channel

Probably not my top pick if shooting critters outside 400 more often than inside, but that’s only because I have no personal experience at slower impact speed

huntsd

WKR
very poor....I am in CA so we have to use lead free here. I've seen E tips tried out of a few different rifles and calibers. Just doesn't seem to shoot decent groups no matter what you do.

bdan68

WKR
very poor....I am in CA so we have to use lead free here. I've seen E tips tried out of a few different rifles and calibers. Just doesn't seem to shoot decent groups no matter what you do.

I wish you hadn't said that, as I've got 200 grain Etips to try in my 338 Win. Mag. So far I've shot Partitions, Accubonds, and Ballistic Tips, all with acceptable accuracy. Was planning on loading up some of the Etips in the next couple of weeks, with some Reloder 16. I'll try to remember to come back to this thread abd report on how they do.

Nosler makes the E tip out of gilding metal instead of a "softer" copper like Barnes for instance. Hornady did the same with the GMX I believe. Gilding metal is harder than copper and may contribute to less fouling. With that said it may not obturate as easily, potentially, and not be as engaged with the rifling as a softer copper. As well it has much more bearing surface which tends to cause pressures to rise quickly and Nosler warns against using their standard starting data for the bullet, they advise to start lower. Without the pressure reducing grooves such as Barnes, the E-Tip will have a better ballistic coefficient all else equal.

All of this is potential and theoretical, I've read reports where they shoot real well. IMO, until Nosler gets them as a bigger part of their product mix, when the rest of the nation starts going lead free there are others with a bigger headstart.

BPollard

Lil-Rokslider
I wish you hadn't said that, as I've got 200 grain Etips to try in my 338 Win. Mag. So far I've shot Partitions, Accubonds, and Ballistic Tips, all with acceptable accuracy. Was planning on loading up some of the Etips in the next couple of weeks, with some Reloder 16. I'll try to remember to come back to this thread abd report on how they do.
I’ll take Em