Odds my July NWT dall hunt happens?

That just sucks. I was a little hopeful. I heard there might be some progress on the border opening. US is supposed to open up in June to Canadians crossing so I thought that might spur Canada to follow suit

Hookhunter75

Lil-Rokslider
That just sucks. I was a little hopeful. I heard there might be some progress on the border opening. US is supposed to open up in June to Canadians crossing so I thought that might spur Canada to follow suit

So I spoke with someone from GoABC BC isn’t slated to fully open no restrictions Sep 7 they hope international border follows that. My trip was to start Sep 2. I am driving with freezers and leaving on Aug 26. The person I spoke to didn’t seem optimistic for my trip.

They said to do our part and get vaccinated and send letters to Schumer.

Trudeau unless heavily pressured won’t open till sep. There is talk of election and voters by about a 50 percent margin want the border slow played. Science determining the border reopening is a load of shit.

Of course you ask your outfitter and you get the standard noncommittal answer.

Pretty awesome situation for the second year in a row.

Hookhunter75

Lil-Rokslider

Here is the article with the point you referenced about crossing in June. Pretty embarrassing for Trudeau that he will take US Vaccines, the US believes science shows the border can be safely opened but Trudeau science says no.

Scottf270

WKR
If taking the covid shot is a must in order to cross no matter when it opens, then I might as well just book another Brown bear on Kodiak or the peninsula and move on with my life. I have no intention of ever taking the so called vaccine.

Hookhunter75

Lil-Rokslider
If taking the covid shot is a must in order to cross no matter when it opens, then I might as well just book another Brown bear on Kodiak or the peninsula and move on with my life. I have no intention of ever taking the so called vaccine.

The United States will open to Canadians with no vaccine requirements but if there is a liberal government in place in Canada I never see the situation where they will allow a US citizen to cross unvaccinated.

The Canadian govt restrictions are like a big steamy pile of shit. But they cover that piece of shit with candy called “Everything we do is for the safety of Canadians” and there are a lot of people too dumb to smell the pile that lies beneath.

TNMatt

FNG
BC, Yukon, or NWT outfitter? I plan to call my Yukon outfitter Friday to see what the situation is for me.
Let us know what your Yukon Outfitter says. I'm booked for Aug 1 in Yukon but not very optimistic. My outfitter is non committal - "hoping for the best" is all I can get.

Hookhunter75

Lil-Rokslider
Let us know what your Yukon Outfitter says. I'm booked for Aug 1 in Yukon but not very optimistic. My outfitter is non committal - "hoping for the best" is all I can get.

I get…..”these rules are tough to read” For as large of investment as we make as a client the communication and part you play in your trip planning is minimal.

Scottf270

WKR
My sheep hunt is in NWT for August 26th. Outfitter and I talk often. He knows it's a cluster and his options are totally dependent on the Canadian government.

He has booked Canadians as a back up. We spoke about his deadline date and when he will cancel Americans and firmly commit to the Canadian hunters.
He felt his date was the end of June. He also may take Canadians and then filter in Americans if the border opens in late August or September.

@Hookhunter75
I've been following your posts on the various threads and feel your frustration. Living in rural Texas has made it very difficult to identify with what is happening in the rest of world. It's hard to believe remote drop camp hunting may still not be allowed this year in Canada for Americans. Last year didn't make sense to me. This year is absurd. My NWT outfitter has asked us to be patient and plans to make a decision on June 15th. I'll keep my glass half full. (At least for another "two-weeks".)

Hookhunter75

Lil-Rokslider
@Hookhunter75
I've been following your posts on the various threads and feel your frustration. Living in rural Texas has made it very difficult to identify with what is happening in the rest of world. It's hard to believe remote drop camp hunting may still not be allowed this year in Canada for Americans. Last year didn't make sense to me. This year is absurd. My NWT outfitter has asked us to be patient and plans to make a decision on June 15th. I'll keep my glass half full. (At least for another "two-weeks".)
I get…..”these rules are tough to read” For as large of investment as we make as a client the communication and part you play in your trip planning is minimal.

I have been very vocal about this for sure. I am an average guy that worked a few jobs to make my trip happen. I know there are a lot of guys out there like me that have done the same thing and I also know there are alot of guys that this is an every year purchase.

My point being there is a group of us that this is a trip of a lifetime. One that you deserve to enjoy the anticipation of and excitement of something you only thought you would dream of doing. I realize that these businesses are losing their livelihood and are struggling and I feel for them.

But what I try to get across is I am advocating for
the average guy that spent a shit ton of money and is basically left to the mercy of whatever the outfitter tells them is going to happen. We deserve to be communicated to and made to feel like our investment is intact and valued by the outfitter we gave our business to. I think in alot of circumstances now we are being treated and thought of as second rate citizens because we are now just a formality the outfitters need to get by to get back on track with future clients. This has hurt us all but in the end the clients should be the priority especially ones that booked a hunt that fell on the pandemic.

My outfitter has been absolutely great. They're advocating for us hunters as best they can. My problem is with big bad gov, not the outfitters.

Last edited:

Snyd

WKR
...The Canadian govt restrictions are like a big steamy pile of shit. But they cover that piece of shit with candy called “Everything we do is for the safety of Canadians” and there are a lot of people too dumb to smell the pile that lies beneath.
Sounds like USA Commun... I mean Democrats.

Sounds like my experience last year with Mervyn’s Yukon. He used Covid to fleece his hunters out of cash by lying and deceit.

Can you please expand on this?
It’s been documented on other threads but in a nutshell he tried to initiate a 25% of the entire hunt cost fee, $6250, because of his loss of business to Covid. He kept claiming that his guides, horses and all accessories were staged in camp with no hunters to guide. When I and several other clients balked it became a fight, approaching legal action. We all settled on letting him keep 10% of the deposit in exchange for no legal action and he refunded the other 90%. 2 months after the season ends I find a brochure detailing the great season he had, all slots filled with Canadian hunters.

buzzy

WKR
It’s been documented on other threads but in a nutshell he tried to initiate a 25% of the entire hunt cost fee, $6250, because of his loss of business to Covid. He kept claiming that his guides, horses and all accessories were staged in camp with no hunters to guide. When I and several other clients balked it became a fight, approaching legal action. We all settled on letting him keep 10% of the deposit in exchange for no legal action and he refunded the other 90%. 2 months after the season ends I find a brochure detailing the great season he had, all slots filled with Canadian hunters.
WTF, this is just wrong. Would love to know who this outfitter is so none of us get scammed.

Update - I now see it’s Mervins. Thanks