Odds my July NWT dall hunt happens?

For what it’s worth, a friend of mine had a hunt booked with a well known Canadian outfitter and had his trip cancelled. He refunded his money 100% and made no offer to reschedule. He said there would be no point In rescheduling and won’t be booking any more hunts until the situation gets rectified, although he is currently booked through 2022. He thanked him for booking with him and said he hoped he would consider booking again when and IF things get back to normal. It appears the outfitter is skeptical that things will be back to business as usual next year and doesn’t want to mislead anyone into thinking he can guarantee them a hunt next year and therefore any year thereafter.
Thats a solid outfitter, good for him!

Hookhunter75

Lil-Rokslider
I would love that option at this point. Like I said though I think due to the circumstances and lack of leverage that I am taking the route of just rolling with the punches. I won’t accept dates that don’t work for what I want to hunt it needs to be the in the same time frame but as for the year I will see what my outfitter wants to do. A refund option would be preferred I’d love to dump my money into Alaska instead.

We all need to bear the burden to a degree. But in the end a customer is a customer. Being treated like a second rate citizen for the sake of keeping future clients happy and intact is wrong. IMO everyone should be shifted a year. The thing the blows my mind is we are not talking about a 6k deer or elk hunt. These are 40-60k investments with everything that is involved!!!!!!!

Scottf270

WKR
My 21 sheep could possibly still happen if my guy has a way to honor 2020 hunters first then filter in some of us 21 guys. If not, then it's 22 or possibly later.
Guys better be careful outfitters don't crowd or overload themselves to "catch up".
Could be logistical nightmare, excessive pressure on animals that affects trophy quality now and far into the future, and getting stuck with poor or inexperienced guides. Gonna be a potential cluster!!!!!

buzzy

WKR
Talked to the outfitter and he really had nothing to say. I asked for a better date in 2022 so I could also hunt bou at a reduced trophy fee and he said he would have to get back to me. At this point I’d just like to get out from the hunt and let everyone know his business practices so future hunters know what they are getting into. I guess he thinks his reputation would get him thru any negative press.

I’d sell my hunt, scheduled for the first week of 2022, if anyone is interested. 😁

cbeard64

WKR
Same boat as many of you. Had one conversation with outfitter which raised some red flags. Just seemed like he was more concerned with his situation than mine. I was expecting an offer of either a full refund or rebooking in 2021 or 2022 as many outfitters are doing.
He’s going to call me back with my options. (I presume he is trying to sell my slot this year to a Canadian resident and then see where that leaves him financially.)
I’m keeping an open mind at this point so we will see. Money aside, I will have a hard time hunting with an outfitter I don’t trust or who I feel doesn’t have my best interests at heart.

Hookhunter75

Lil-Rokslider
There is a lot of short sighted behavior going on right now that is ruining client outfitter relationships. Aside from Covid there will be long term ramifications for outfitters when the dust settles. Especially as soon as names start flying on social media when clients feel they haven’t been treated fairly

buzzy

WKR
There is a lot of short sighted behavior going on right now that is ruining client outfitter relationships. Aside from Covid there will be long term ramifications for outfitters when the dust settles. Especially as soon as names start flying on social media when clients feel they haven’t been treated fairly
I'll wait several months to still give him the chance to do the right think but if he doesn't I'll lay out all the facts on social media. Be damed with how this might affect my time in camp. There is no way I should lose money on an airline ticket and I wasn't even offered a date in 2022. It was this is when you are going period. After talking to him on the phone he really didn't have a good excuse. I was very polite and was asking for him to meet me half way with a better date in 2022 and a better rate on the caribou but only got I'll have to look into it. If he doesn't make it right I'll be looking into a complaint with GOABC and GSOC. It will be the first time in 15 years going guided that I have ever had a problem with an outfitter. It takes years to build up a great reputation and it can be ruined in a day if you want to screw a client.

And I know I'm not alone as I have had several folks here contact me privately with similar stories. What's wrong with just treating the client fairly?

cbeard64

WKR
I can see both sides - the pandemic is not their fault either. But I think some outfitters have forgotten the Golden Rule of business that the customer always comes first.
If lightning strikes a pizza place and knocks out the oven, paid customers are going to get refunds or coupons for future pizzas - even though the lightning wasn’t the owner’s fault. Something was paid for and not delivered so things are made right. Period.

KU_Geo

WKR
My outfitter hung in there for as long as possible this year without cancelling but once the travel ban was extended over my hunt he finally called it. I reached out a few days later just asking what options would be, trying to give him some time to sort it out. He called about a few days later and pretty much told me to pick the year and time I wanted, he’d make it work and shift 2021 or 2022 clients as necessary. I rolled it to next year, different dates do to schedule conflict. He was extremely accommodating and has been a class act so far.

MtGomer

WKR
At this point, maybe you should just ask if he’ll sign his outfit over to you for your deposit. I can’t see outfitter staying in business if they lose multiple seasons.

Hookhunter75

Lil-Rokslider
At this point, maybe you should just ask if he’ll sign his outfit over to you for your deposit. I can’t see outfitter staying in business if they lose multiple seasons.

If the border stays closed another season any money hunters have invested or any hunt they plan on going on will most likely not happen. Some may stay afloat but for the most part this will be a death sentence to the Canadian outfitting industry. This is horrible

OutdoorsMD

Lil-Rokslider
At this point I am starting to get concerned 2021 hunts may be in jeopardy. I just don’t see an end to the border closure in sight or even a reasonable plan in place to allow reopening.

Chris

FNG
At this point I am starting to get concerned 2021 hunts may be in jeopardy. I just don’t see an end to the border closure in sight or even a reasonable plan in place to allow reopening.

I have a sheep hunt booked in the Yukon for 8/1/21. The outfitter suggested getting travel insurance to cover deposit, and seemed very concerned that there will be a season next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buzzy

WKR
Chris - Are you saying the outfitter will not be refunding deposits or applying the deposit for a future hunt if the border is still closed?

Chris

FNG
Refund was not presented as an option, he did say that he doesn't see any outfitters making it if they cancel the 2021 season.

Travel insurance option was presented through global. Has anyone had any luck with global? I have never had travel insurance work in the past, but have not used them.

Hookhunter75

Lil-Rokslider
Refund was not presented as an option, he did say that he doesn't see any outfitters making it if they cancel the 2021 season.

Travel insurance option was presented through global. Has anyone had any luck with global? I have never had travel insurance work in the past, but have not used them.

I would beware about Travel insurance. When I initially investigated travel insurance after covid started I found out very quickly that travel insurance did not cover any kind of border closure related to the pandemic. That was not just through my research but also through questioning hunting brokers as well. I am not sure if this has changed for future trips now that we know more. I have not looked in to it since then but it never hurts to look.

As far as refunds go legally you are entitled your money back there is not hunting contract in the lower 48 or in Canada (not a known fact just experience) that covers act of god issues. I do have more information on this topic if anyone wants to pm me.

The problem is that the outfitter is spot on correct. If the Canadian government decides to keep the border closed another season you can almost bet that it is slit the throats of the tourism industry in that country. There won’t be discussions of rescheduling or refunds of deposits or worst yet fully paid hunts (a lot of hunters were asked to pay full price knowing the border may be closed still.) Outfitters will most surely go under from this and money will be lost.

One thing I will say beware of is a lot of outfitters are asking for a rescheduling fee. This is done to help augment the cost of the border being closed and the outfitter left on standby rather than being able to cancel hunts and preserve overhead. I thought it was bullshit initially but this was a result of their government “protecting canadians”. I agree it may be necessary in some cases to preserve hunts but I would be very cautious in paying it if the the border was still closed.

Like the world itself this has changed the outdoor industry and hunting contracts forever. If the border stays shut it will take a very long time to rebuild businesses and relationships with American hunters.

TNsavageman

Lil-Rokslider
Well 2021 is right around the corner... what do you fellows think? Will the borders be open ?

ejs21

FNG
Fingers crossed that hunts go ahead this fall, but my gut is telling me the border will still be closed...

Hookhunter75

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t have any faith it will be open. If it does open it’s all gonna be based on our case numbers in the US. Canada just implemented a negative test policy for people flying in to the country. No change to the quarantine regs but it at least shows some sign of regulations moving forward to allow travel. My guess is neg test or proof of vaccine will be what gets you in if it does open.