Odds my July NWT dall hunt happens?

OutdoorsMD

Lil-Rokslider
As much as I am trying to remain optimistic about this upcoming season, unfortunately I am starting to see the writing on the wall...again. I just cant see the border reopening by this summer/fall. I certainly hope I am wrong.

TNsavageman

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t see the border being open either. If it does open between now and early fall, I’m worried about the hoops we will all have to jump through in order to get there. It’s got the makings of a shit show that is for sure.

Hookhunter75

Lil-Rokslider
There is a binational task force meeting this month. I will be curious to hear their recommendation.

Hookhunter75

Lil-Rokslider
I wasn’t sure what the date was I was just trying to search for it. I just knew it was some time in March they would be making their recommendation.

With the vaccine supply ramping up and J/J getting improved there has been a lot of conflicting information both towards the positive and negative regarding thoughts on the border.

I hope we are moving in the right direction for a late summer opening but I also fear this could end up being false hope for the outfitters and they will exhaust valuable resources to mobilize
their operations and eventually fall back in to the disappointment that was suffered last year.

I see a ton of them right now booking contingent Canadian hunters for this year which is a great backup plan if they don’t allow the Americans in.

ericthered

Lil-Rokslider
I saw a dall sheep hunt in AK going for $40K. This hunt was probably $23 two years ago. Looks like AK is taking full advantage of "abundance of caution" strategy deployed by Ottawa. I think inflation is going to put hunts out of reach for many guys as thing open up in 2022...

I saw a dall sheep hunt in AK going for $40K. This hunt was probably $23 two years ago. Looks like AK is taking full advantage of "abundance of caution" strategy deployed by Ottawa. I think inflation is going to put hunts out of reach for many guys as thing open up in 2022...
Do you happen too know which outfit is asking 40k? Seems a little excessive.

Hookhunter75

Lil-Rokslider

This situation will only get worst. Realistically this border could be reopened. If cases continue to go down and vaccines ramp up in the next few months in Canada there should be a plan to get the border open ASAP.

If all of these things happen and there is still resistance to opening the border then this has nothing to do with public safety or science.

Reactions: WCS

ericthered

Lil-Rokslider
Do you happen too know which outfit is asking 40k? Seems a little excessive.
Okay, Feeling a bit foolish....I went back and double checked what I saw. I missed that Midnight Sun Outfitters is in the Yukon! They're dull sheep is $40K. Midnight Sun Safaris in AK is $26K.

Hookhunter75

Lil-Rokslider
One thing that absolutely needs to happen to get the border open for the season is the US needs to make a bigger effort to help supply Canada with vaccines. 1.5 million loan is not enough. Just for example we are stock piling AstraZeneca and it’s not even approved in US. We need to send more. It benefits both sides.

I read an article today that a 75 year old couple may have to wait 4 months for a second shot. The US and Canada are not third world countries. On a basic humanitarian level that is not acceptable. I vaccinated a large group of young people this past week. The thought of the most at risk having to wait is so upsetting.

Hookhunter75

Lil-Rokslider
To make things even worst the study that will show if vaccinated individuals transmit the disease will likely not be published until early Fall

OutdoorsMD

Lil-Rokslider
I received an email from my outfitter this week. He certainly (and rightfully so) did not seem optimistic. There are just too many things that would have to happen for the border to be reopened and even when it does I doubt recreational tourism and hunting will be the one of the first things allowed. Even if it did open by July/August it would not be enough time to make travel arrangements. I feel confident enough that it will not open at I have taken back my vacation time and made other plans. If I am wrong I supposed I will just have to wait one more year.