Odds my July NWT dall hunt happens?

Hookhunter75

Lil-Rokslider
I have a June trip for pike that I am pretty much writing off but I have BC hunting trip that I am hoping like hell doesn’t get postponed a second time. If it does I think a lot of us just made a huge charitable donation to Canada

Vaccination rates are lagging pretty badly right now, while the clock continues to tick. Canada seems to be taking COVID a bit more serious than the US right now. This is all just speculation, but assume there are ~240 days until your hunt for BC. Herd immunity is believed to start at 40% vaccination, best case, and may really need 80-90% vaccination rate. Best case, at 40%, that would mean ~2m people in BC need vaccinations in the next ~8mo, which means 8,333/day. I looked it up - it took BC a week to get the first thousand vaccinated. I assume they can speed things up a bit, and maybe there will be exemptions if you have proof of vaccination, etc, but I'm thinking fall 21 is optimistic. Hopefully I'm wrong.

TNsavageman

Lil-Rokslider
I’m hoping that this will work out but it’s not looking good from what I can gather online. Doesn’t look like there is definite plan in place to open up. I feel as bad for the outfitters as anybody. My hunt got rolled from 2020 to 2021 but I’m not sure what will happen if 2021 doesn’t happen. It’s a question I hate to ask being that their livelihoods are at stake...
changing gears for a sec... Have you guys read any of the stuff about Canadian snowbirds coming south via helicopter?

Canadians are not allowed to drive south across the border but are allowed to fly. So they ship the RV and hop a flight to where ever works to pick up the RV, and roll on. Makes sense right.
If I had to guess the provincial governments response so far has been such a mess as is the vaccination plan so far, don't plan on this fall even. They think lockdown after lockdown will all of a sudden work with no other plans to try and figure out how to handle the hospital admissions.

Kodiak18

FNG
I’m from Canada and have a sheep hunt booked in Alaska this summer. This might be a long shot but is there anyone interested from the USA that might be interested in trading there Yukon sheep hunt for Alaska? I did speak to my outfitter and he thought it might be a good idea.

TNsavageman

Lil-Rokslider
I’m from Canada and have a sheep hunt booked in Alaska this summer. This might be a long shot but is there anyone interested from the USA that might be interested in trading there Yukon sheep hunt for Alaska? I did speak to my outfitter and he thought it might be a good idea.
Hey Kodiak I sent you a PM.
Thanks

Kotaman

WKR
Who is your hunt with in Ak?

Old and gray

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in the same situation as Kodiak18 for a hunt in the Brooks range. It was supposed to happen last year.

Scottf270

WKR
Is it a hunt in a different area, or different experience, or cost that would drive a Canadian to hunt dall sheep in Alaska instead of Canada? Just curious......

ericthered

Lil-Rokslider
Well, what's the latest thinking on July 2021? Will Canada be open? Looking back I'm glad I moved my trip to 2022. Hoping my NWT outfitter is still in business if this 2021 season doesn't happen...

Last edited:

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
Well, what's the latest thinking on July 2021? Will Canada be open? Looking back I'm glad I moved my trip to 2022. Hoping my NWT outfitter is still in business of this 2021 doesn't happen...
Sadly I don't see the border opening for the fall. Our federal government has seriously botched vaccine procurement and at the pace we're going we may all be vaccinated by 2022. The Yukon and the NWT will still be vaccinated ahead of the rest of the country, but the federal government decides whether the border opens. I really hope I'm wrong for the sake of the outfitters up here, but it does not look good at the moment.

JonnyB

WKR
Not exactly related, but the ban on ships with over 100 passengers porting in Canada was extended until February 2022, so I have a fair amount of doubt the border will be open in as little as 5 months. This whole thing is bonkers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buzzy

WKR
Border closed another month. I don’t see the Canadians getting their act together any time soon from what I’m hearing. It actually looks like the US finally is on the right path but this could be a long sad summer north of the border.

ericthered

Lil-Rokslider
The infection rate is now falling hard from its peak on January 7th. In the US , the covid "related" death rate is .0176%. The experts are talking about herd immunity by April. You would think with summer coming we'll bottom out until November of 2021 with a spike around thanksgiving if there is going to be a spike. Again, my NWT hunt is 2022...but I worry about these sheep outfitters in Canada making it to 2022 if 2021 is a bust. Can they make it?

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
The infection rate is now falling hard from its peak on January 7th. In the US , the covid "related" death rate is .0176%. The experts are talking about herd immunity by April. You would think with summer coming we'll bottom out until November of 2021 with a spike around thanksgiving if there is going to be a spike. Again, my NWT hunt is 2022...but I worry about these sheep outfitters in Canada making it to 2022 if 2021 is a bust. Can they make it?
I’m in the same situation as you and have the same thoughts. Even if the outfitters can hold on how will the hunts be run with a backlog of hunters for 2 years. I guess only time will tell and we will have to wait and see.

Hookhunter75

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in the same situation as you and have the same thoughts. Even if the outfitters can hold on how will the hunts be run with a backlog of hunters for 2 years. I guess only time will tell and we will have to wait and see.

From talking with my outfitter this year he will be able to make it to 2022 but he will not hold out till last minute like this past year hoping border will open. I anticipate outfitters pulling the plug much earlier this year to preserve their business for 2022.

Sad part is I’ve been paid in full for over a year now. In the back of your mind you always think your going to get a text that the outfitter is going belly up and you will never see that money again.