Official Montana 2022 draw thread!

Did you draw and with how many preference points?

• 0 points, successful

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • 0 points, unsuccessful

Votes: 15 6.5%
  • 1 point, successful

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • 1 point, unsuccessful

Votes: 36 15.6%
  • 2 points, successful

Votes: 72 31.2%
  • 2 points, unsuccessful

Votes: 15 6.5%
  • 3 points, successful

Votes: 17 7.4%
  • 3 points, unsuccessful

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • Resident/NA

Votes: 28 12.1%

• Total voters

Chape1rm

Lil-Rokslider
Since the application period had officially ended figured it was time to start such a thread.

Post what you applied for and number of preference points (or unit and bonus points if applicable.) Once the results are posted edit and post whether you were successful.

Curious what kind of preliminary data we can gather with the recent changes.

Applied for the Big game combo with 1 preference point this year.

Like many I almost went zero, but MT is a backup this year with plans to be back in 23 or 24.

I’ll edit and update with a poll once the results post.
Drew BG combo and permit with 2 pts each

bsnedeker

WKR
I heard the same rumor from inside the department that they screwed up the draw. Haven't heard the remedy. It has happened in the past and they have just kept it quiet.
They are not going to redo the draw...that aint happening.

What happened is that they moved a bunch of permits to a FIRST and ONLY choice, meaning you cannot put a second choice if you select that permit as a first choice. However, the system still allowed you to put a second choice in if you picked on of those units. Instead of being decent human beings and just ignoring the second and third choice, FWP chose to throw you out of the draw completely if you made that mistake.

Really crappy thing to do and they need to fix it for next year so that if you select a first and only unit it blocks you from selecting a second and third choice like they do with the 900-20 Antelope permit, but nothing can be done at this point.

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS MY UNDERSTANDING AND THEORY. IT IS WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Scoot

WKR
Drew a general tag with 0 PPs. I'm shocked to report we didn't draw the Elkhorns for the LE permit. I mean seriously, we had 3 bonus points!!! :eek:;):)

OP
B
Either a lot of folks don’t really know how many PP they actually had or MT screwed up, probably both.
I think a lot of people confuse bonus with preference points, hence why there five votes for “unsuccessful with 3 points” on the poll.

That said it still gives us a pretty good idea that 2 points was roughly 80% odds this go around.

bsnedeker

WKR
I think a lot of people confuse bonus with preference points, hence why there five votes for “unsuccessful with 3 points” on the poll.

That said it still gives us a pretty good idea that 2 points was roughly 80% odds this go around.
Our those guys may have been successful in the general, but returned because they didn't draw a permit.

Just want to make sure I got this straight.

I put in for Big Game Combo with 2 PREFERENCE (not bonus) points, which put me in for deer and elk general licenses.

I was successful for deer but not elk

I now have 0 preference points even though I didn't draw my elk general license, so now I'm going into next year's draw for elk with 0 pref points.

Now here's a question: How would I have been able to keep my elk preference points while still applying for deer? And why do I have to start over with 0 pref points if I applied and did not pull my elk gen license??

1650038946843.png

1650039009342.png

Bones72

FNG
I just called them a little bit ago. I asked the guy I talked to if there was an IT problem with the draw. He wouldn't answer my question. Frustrating

ajf243

FNG
I'm baffled how I have bonus points to begin with, but I'm showing same as above with 2 deer retainted, 2 elk released. I just checked and didn't purchase, and I think the last time i purchased a bonus point was 2013 or 2014.

We have always just applied for the combo license in the last 8 years. We didn't draw w/ 2 pref points.

Just want to make sure I got this straight.

I put in for Big Game Combo with 2 PREFERENCE (not bonus) points, which put me in for deer and elk general licenses.

I was successful for deer but not elk

I now have 0 preference points even though I didn't draw my elk general license, so now I'm going into next year's draw for elk with 0 pref points.

Now here's a question: How would I have been able to keep my elk preference points while still applying for deer? And why do I have to start over with 0 pref points if I applied and did not pull my elk gen license??

View attachment 401525

View attachment 401526
Thats not how it works man.
If you put in for the big game combo you would have drawn deer and elk.
There is no option to apply for the big game combo and only draw a deer tag.

Do you still have your receipt email from when you applied.

NDGuy

WKR
Thats not how it works man.
If you put in for the big game combo you would have drawn deer and elk.
There is no option to apply for the big game combo and only draw a deer tag.

Do you still have your receipt email from when you applied.
He probably put in for BGC and to refund the elk combo if he whiffed on the LE permit.

S.Clancy

WKR
They are not going to redo the draw...that aint happening.

What happened is that they moved a bunch of permits to a FIRST and ONLY choice, meaning you cannot put a second choice if you select that permit as a first choice. However, the system still allowed you to put a second choice in if you picked on of those units. Instead of being decent human beings and just ignoring the second and third choice, FWP chose to throw you out of the draw completely if you made that mistake.

Really crappy thing to do and they need to fix it for next year so that if you select a first and only unit it blocks you from selecting a second and third choice like they do with the 900-20 Antelope permit, but nothing can be done at this point.

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS MY UNDERSTANDING AND THEORY. IT IS WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

I'm pretty confident this is what happened based on people who put in for tags then had no results. All put in for the "first and only choice" tag then had 2nd and 3rd choices. Every one of them thrown out.

204guy

WKR
This thread is awesome.

Part of the reason you guys are confused is the poll doesn't even scratch the surface of the draw complexity.

For NR You have-
Deer combo
Elk combo
Biggame combo
Released tags elk combo
Released tags deer combo
Released tags biggame combo
Returned deer tags from biggame combo?
Averaging of pp not captured in poll

-I'm sure I've missed some and some of the above is incorrect but that's the gist of it.

6cp9n8.jpg