Official Montana 2024 Draw Thread

What season will you be hunting this year?

• Archery

Votes: 44 31.2%
  • Rifle

Votes: 38 27.0%
  • Both

Votes: 59 41.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Fingers crossed for you, with point creep and the rule changes for tag allocation, you’re honestly better applying with 0pts for your first year and then buying one for the second year. 1pt is pretty much a black hole with 0% odds unfortunately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm a little confused about that part of the draw? I know the odds are better with zero points and I know there is a option to purchase a point around July but I thought I would not be eligible to buy that point later in the year if I had entered the draw that same year and didn't purchase a point? Am I wrong?

Riplip

WKR
I'm a little confused about that part of the draw? I know the odds are better with zero points and I know there is a option to purchase a point around July but I thought I would not be eligible to buy that point later in the year if I had entered the draw that same year and didn't purchase a point? Am I wrong?

You are correct, you will not be able to buy a point later in the year if you applied for the draw.

OP
mountainman406

You are correct, you wouldn’t be able to buy one later in the year, however you’d be much more likely to hunt that third year since you’d have 2 pts going into the draw. It’s confusing for no reason, I know.

You are correct, you wouldn’t be able to buy one later in the year, however you’d be much more likely to hunt that third year since you’d have 2 pts going into the draw. It’s confusing for no reason, I know.

3rd year? Since I did buy a point this year, if I don't draw this year I will buy a point next year and hopefully draw with 2 points next year as I did last year. Hopefully it won't take me 2 more years to draw though I know it could but last year I believe having 2 points gave me a roughly 80% chance of drawing?

cfounta1

FNG
What are the odds I get drawn with 1.67 points? Would prefer to hold it until 2025 but will audible if drawn

waspocrew

Lil-Rokslider
This is my first year as a MT resident... I tend to hunt WY a lot, so just grabbed general deer and applied for a local unit for elk near Billings. Really no clue on what to expect, but looking forward to getting out and exploring!

OP
mountainman406
3rd year? Since I did buy a point this year, if I don't draw this year I will buy a point next year and hopefully draw with 2 points next year as I did last year. Hopefully it won't take me 2 more years to draw though I know it could but last year I believe having 2 points gave me a roughly 80% chance of drawing?

I’m sorry, I meant 2nd year. This year’s draw odds for 2pts will be interesting to see because you’re going to have those leftover 2pts from last year that didn’t get drawn in the mix. If those odds are lower, you might continue seeing a downward trend on odds until it does eventually take 3pts to draw. People are forgetting that less than 10 years ago, it was nearly a guaranteed tag for non-residents with 1pt and leftovers being sold after the draw.

rambo2345

WKR
Are the previous years drawing stats different between big game combo and elk combo?

RELIANT

FNG
Are the previous years drawing stats different between big game combo and elk combo?
No the nonresident big game combo and elk combo licenses come from the same tag quota, which is limited to about 17k pool of tags, so the draw odds for elk and big game combo are the same.

However the deer combo draw odds are different

CB4

WKR
Applied with a buddy so our odds are 0% with 1.5 average points. The plan is Montana in 2025. With an average of 2.5 we will draw. Best of luck to all of those going this year.

I had to move from mt to Ohio a couple months ago but bought my general deer/elk combos for $60 and still havent changed residency. Hoping I can draw some permits before i gotta change residency

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

My dad, brother, and I all applied with 0 points. Applied individually, not as a group, and plan on all going out for the hunt even if just one of us draw. Never hunted Montana before, so hoping to get out and learn some new areas

I think that is a great idea and believe you can have a great time with one tag holder. Then next year do it all over again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mikeafeagin22

Lil-Rokslider
I think that is a great idea and believe you can have a great time with one tag holder. Then next year do it all over again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I’ll second that! Always a great time when everyone in camp has a tag in their pocket of course but it sure seems quite a bit easier to stay positive on day six of getting your teeth kicked in when there’s only one tag to fill.