Official Montana 2024 Draw Thread

What season will you be hunting this year?

• Archery

Votes: 44 31.2%
  • Rifle

Votes: 38 27.0%
  • Both

Votes: 59 41.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

160andup

Lil-Rokslider
Wait, so if you put in with 0 points and DONT draw, you don’t get a point automatically for the next year so you have 1, then if you don’t draw you get another, have 2, etc? You go back to 0 each year?
Yup, if you put in with 0 you’re gonna keep putting in with 0 moving forward unless you change your strategy!

Wait, so if you put in with 0 points and DONT draw, you don’t get a point automatically for the next year so you have 1, then if you don’t draw you get another, have 2, etc? You go back to 0 each year?
Correct, you either keep putting in with zero PP points or you choose to pay $100 for a PP. You do NOT get a awarded a PP for an unsuccessful application.

Scottf270

WKR
Montana's system can be confusing but anything that limits point creep is good. It forces people to "pick your poison" when it comes to buying points or applying with zero.

We are fully expecting to not get drawn with one point this year in hopes of drawing next year with two. If it gets to the point of needing 3 points to draw, we may just go into the zero pool, as long as it stays near 50% draw.

Our hope is to draw every other year at best unless applications take a dive. The new reality.

EMAZ

Lil-Rokslider
Montana's system can be confusing but anything that limits point creep is good. It forces people to "pick your poison" when it comes to buying points or applying with zero.

We are fully expecting to not get drawn with one point this year in hopes of drawing next year with two. If it gets to the point of needing 3 points to draw, we may just go into the zero pool, as long as it stays near 50% draw.

Our hope is to draw every other year at best unless applications take a dive. The new reality.
Yeah-it’s definitely an odd system. Almost like a dual draw… I had 2 bonus points and two preference points last year. I was selected momentarily (draw 1) with my preference points, but was not selected for my archery draw hunt (not even a prime unit choice), so my preference points went to zero and my bonus points went to 3.

jjarrell

FNG
That is correct - unlike other states, you don't get a pref point for not being drawn. The only way to begin to accumulate pref points is by electing to purchase a pref point with your draw, which essentially rules you out for that year based on available tags and number of applicants and direct allocation for those with zero points. And then elect to purchase a point the following year when you have less than certain odds of being drawn again - that will set you up with two points - odds for which were 80ish % last year, others here are saying 70ish % this year. If you miss that second year, you'd be able to purchase a third pref point in the spring of the third year, and I believe odds of drawing are much better at that point.

(** just to be extra clear, talking preference points and general tag - bonus points for limited tags are a totally different game **)

I’m gonna call it now that odds for 2 points will be the same or better than they were last year due to the “apply or lose your points” rule. This is the first draw that rule is in full effect if I recall correctly.

It’s relatively complicated, but aside from the outfitter welfare Montana’s system is pretty good. “Apply or lose your points” plus a max of 3 points really keeps the creep under control, and if you apply with 0 you still have a decent shot. The fact applying with 0 prevents you from buying an off season PP keeps people from gaming the system.

I drew last year with 2 PP, decided to hunt elsewhere this year but I’ll be watching the draw closely to see how it shapes out for 2025.

Riplip

WKR
I’m gonna call it now that odds for 2 points will be the same or better than they were last year due to the “apply or lose your points” rule. This is the first draw that rule is in full effect if I recall correctly.

It’s relatively complicated, but aside from the outfitter welfare Montana’s system is pretty good. “Apply or lose your points” plus a max of 3 points really keeps the creep under control, and if you apply with 0 you still have a decent shot. The fact applying with 0 prevents you from buying an off season PP keeps people from gaming the system.

I drew last year with 2 PP, decided to hunt elsewhere this year but I’ll be watching the draw closely to see how it shapes out for 2025.

The apply or lose your points has been in effect for a few years.

Tman24

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty sure that started in 2021. I remember my brother being pissed off that he was going to lose his preference point if he didn’t apply.

The apply or lose your points has been in effect for a few years.
I should’ve clarified, this is the first year that all the points in the system have been purchased since the change to $100 points/apply every every year or lose your points/etc IIRC. In other words things should be “normalized” compared to the past few years where things had been changed within the past year or two, no doubt affecting the draw.

The only change this year is the “landowner” provision, but I think that impact will be minimal.

Based on how the draw works things should stabilize at about an every other year tag, as long as demand stays relatively static, which it has within the past 3-4 years. Furthermore we saw more 0 point applicants last year, so that will improve your odds with 2 points in the following year since those people are barred from buying an off season point. (Unless they go outfitted, which is unlikely if they applied with 0.)

Now all this goes out the window if Montana decides to change things again to help the outfitters, which is unfortunately likely.

Last edited:
Links are in the first post. I haven’t heard anything locally yet but last year was the 17th, week of the 15th is a safe bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I see no activity (results) yet but it's only about 5 AM eastern time here in NC. Trying not to be overly anxious or hopefull but I do want to know as early as possible so can make fall plans. I haven't decided yet if I want to pursue another state Elk hunt or just fish a lot in the fall this year? I can only think of one western state at the moment where a Archery tag is guaranteed.

Usi05

WKR
A nice young lady from FWP called me Saturday for harvest reporting. Asked her when FWP started calling to notify folks of successful draws and she laughed and said I’d know soon but wouldn’t be a phone call.

Hoping it’s today!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk