Official Montana 2024 Draw Thread

What season will you be hunting this year?

• Archery

Votes: 44 31.2%
  • Rifle

Votes: 38 27.0%
  • Both

Votes: 59 41.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ten Bears

WKR
Help me out here. Just checked since I had 1pt and I assumed I had zero percent chance?

Says successful in general elk

Unsuccessful in archery permit

Did I just score a general elk tag ?

Usi05

WKR
Help me out here. Just checked since I had 1pt and I assumed I had zero percent chance?

That is how I would ready that. Drew a general but not a limited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RELIANT

FNG

It was just conjecture that 1 point would have no chance...if there were less than 13k people submitting with more than 1 point, you may have had a chance.

Ten Bears

WKR
That is how I would ready that. Drew a general but not a limited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks- kinda in shock considering the odds I had were zero...add in the fact I suck at drawing any tags even when I have decent odds.

mikeafeagin22

Lil-Rokslider
It was just conjecture that 1 point would have no chance...if there were less than 13k people submitting with more than 1 point, you may have had a chance.
I didn’t draw in the initial draw with two preference points so I don’t think that’s it. But if he drew a tag then who knows. Montana likes to keep us on our toes

Fowl Play

WKR
Thanks- kinda in shock considering the odds I had were zero...add in the fact I suck at drawing any tags even when I have decent odds.
If you drew with 1 point you did not draw in the main draw.

You likely drew a "released tag" in the secondary draw. All the tags from people who opted to return their combo if they also did not draw a special elk permit, are immediately awarded in a secondary draw -- which I believe is completely randomized.

RELIANT

FNG

You likely drew a "released tag" in the secondary draw. All the tags from people who opted to return their combo if they also did not draw a special elk permit, are immediately awarded in a secondary draw -- which I believe is completely randomized.
Yeah that makes more sense

Elk97

WKR
Hmmm.
Shows I was successful and not successful for 2024 General Elk Combo

Successful​

2024 General Elk Combo (Released)

Not Successful​

2024 Elk Combo - General

Hmmm.
Shows I was successful and not successful for 2024 General Elk Combo

Successful​

2024 General Elk Combo (Released)

Not Successful​

2024 Elk Combo - General

Just means you didn’t draw in the PP pass and then drew a released elk combo after permit draws were done

I don’t think the secondary draw for released tags is randomized. At least I’ve never read that, but it’s Montana so who knows. IIRC per Montana law 75% of tags go to those with the most PP’s then 25% to those who opted out of the PP system.

The people who initially didn’t draw with 2 points should go and re-check their results.

I suspected that odds for preference points would improve this year. It looks like that may have been the case. If people are drawing with one point again that is excellent news.

OldDog

FNG
Classified Approved
Update from yesterday - I got into MyFWP acct. early before it crashed and it showed I drew the Big Game Combo. Seeing the conversations here - I was hopeful but anxious there may have been a mistake in the draw.
I went back in last night and confirmed again this morning - Big Game Combo AND drew my LE Elk tag !
The Hunt Is On !!

Fowl Play

WKR
I don’t think the secondary draw for released tags is randomized. At least I’ve never read that, but it’s Montana so who knows. IIRC per Montana law 75% of tags go to those with the most PP’s then 25% to those who opted out of the PP system.

The people who initially didn’t draw with 2 points should go and re-check their results.

I suspected that odds for preference points would improve this year. It looks like that may have been the case. If people are drawing with one point again that is excellent news.
Weird things happen with the released tags. Last year people in parties drew released tags, but no one else in their party did.

@Ten Bears does your tag say (Released) next to it when you look it up here?

Weird things happen with the released tags. Last year people in parties drew released tags, but no one else in their party did.

@Ten Bears does your tag say (Released) next to it when you look it up here?

Yeah I remember that, certain people in parties were getting released tags while the rest of the party wasn’t. That was BS.

That said I think they were going to higher point holders first. I don’t recall any 1 point holders getting released tags, but I could be wrong.