Ogden, Utah?

Sled

WKR
i live in slc, work up little cottonwood canyon and have a place in the uinta mtns above kamas utah. ogden is not that bad but plan your commute carefully. there are plenty of places to live nearby that may be better but in general, the higher the better with regard to inversions. if you can stand a short commute, look into peterson or morgan utah. eden is really nice as well.

the up side is that the economy here has a great chance to survive this pandemic. the vocal minority is loud but not really something to be feared as mentioned in this thread already.

as a transplant from louisiana in 2002, i fall into neither of the two categories here and have been able to survive just fine.

I lived in Colorado for 2 years recently, visited a bunch of places all over the state. A buddy of mine is a cop in Provo, Utah. I went to visit him and forgot all about Colorado. I’d say yes run with that opportunity. You sit lower in elevation at the base of the mountains, so they look sooo much bigger than a lot of places. I believe Ogden is nestled against Provo, for reference.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I lived in Colorado for 2 years recently, visited a bunch of places all over the state. A buddy of mine is a cop in Provo, Utah. I went to visit him and forgot all about Colorado. I’d say yes run with that opportunity. You sit lower in elevation at the base of the mountains, so they look sooo much bigger than a lot of places. I believe Ogden is nestled against Provo, for reference.

No Provo is south of salt lake ogden is north of salt lake roughly 70 miles apart

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Dcrafton

WKR

Ogden is about 80 miles north of Provo,
I lived in Utah for 20 years now. Ogden is at the bottom of places in Utah I would live. SLC is to busy, Provo is growing. Now south of Provo, west of Ogden.
I live east of Ogden by about 30 miles.
Beautiful place, over hunted (rifle) season can be stupid busy.
Lots of people that love the outdoors.
I do love it here in Utah, just Ogden is not the area I want to live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ogden is about 80 miles north of Provo,
I lived in Utah for 20 years now. Ogden is at the bottom of places in Utah I would live. SLC is to busy, Provo is growing. Now south of Provo, west of Ogden.
I live east of Ogden by about 30 miles.
Beautiful place, over hunted (rifle) season can be stupid busy.
Lots of people that love the outdoors.
I do love it here in Utah, just Ogden is not the area I want to live.

Different strokes and all, you couldn't pay me enough to live in Morgan.

Nutsknr

FNG
What’s your job?

46yrs here(born)

If you waterfowl, it’s pretty dang good.

Upland left with the farms.

The Wasatch front Archery Hunt (late) is pretty awesome.

Elk are thriving. Goats are thriving. Moose are struggling. Sheep are sheep. And we do have bison.

Mule deer hunting is struggling.

The suburbs around Ogden are pretty great. Downtown Ogden is actually gotten pretty good, 25th street went from hookers and dealers to a real fun weekend joint.

We can drink real beer now.

SLC is a chithole. But it has been for the entirety of my life.

But if you have to work in SLC valleyyour talking 1.5hrs each way.

1-2 hours your in Wyoming, or ID, or NV.

You could do a lot worse.

Dcrafton

WKR
Sorry, 25 years of living in Ogden will make you defensive! It’s been good to me.

No worries, I have twin 22 year olds, my son and his wife live in Ogden and my daughter lives in Orem, and the Weber River is in my back yard. Ogden has improved drastically in the past 10 years.

I grew up in Utah and lived there for the first 21 years of my life. Moved to Wyoming just over the border and I couldn’t go back. It’s basically one solid city from pleasant view to Spanish fork. The freeway is so freaking busy all the time it gives me serious anxiety to drive there. And the hunting really isn’t worth a crap compared to the surrounding states.

Sled

WKR
What’s your job?

46yrs here(born)

If you waterfowl, it’s pretty dang good.

Upland left with the farms.

The Wasatch front Archery Hunt (late) is pretty awesome.

Elk are thriving. Goats are thriving. Moose are struggling. Sheep are sheep. And we do have bison.

Mule deer hunting is struggling.

The suburbs around Ogden are pretty great. Downtown Ogden is actually gotten pretty good, 25th street went from hookers and dealers to a real fun weekend joint.

We can drink real beer now.

SLC is a chithole. But it has been for the entirety

Don't forget to remind him of the state car, state bird and state color.

Subaru, seagull (seriously) and construction orange. I've been here for nearly two decades and don't think for I've even been able to drive from Ogden to Provo without a major construction project underway.

Nutsknr

FNG
Don't forget to remind him of the state car, state bird and state color.

Subaru, seagull (seriously) and construction orange. I've been here for nearly two decades and don't think for I've even been able to drive from Ogden to Provo without a major construction project underway.

Subaru? Ogden isn’t park city.😀

Suburbans is more like it.

My sister lives in Wyoming. She’s in SLC more than people who live in SLC.

Always funny to read the Wyoming folks rant about Utah. Then go to Zoo, or Jazz game, or city creek, or Farmington Station. Solid cowboy license plates.

Im guessing Wyoming has taken a revenue beating now that we can drink adult beer. The schools up there are probably bankrupt😁

Subaru? Ogden isn’t park city.😀

Suburbans is more like it.

My sister lives in Wyoming. She’s in SLC more than people who live in SLC.

Always funny to read the Wyoming folks rant about Utah. Then go to Zoo, or Jazz game, or city creek, or Farmington Station. Solid cowboy license plates.

Im guessing Wyoming has taken a revenue beating now that we can drink adult beer. The schools up there are probably bankrupt😁
Yeah maybe some people from Wyoming like going to those places on occasion but the majority of the state doesn’t like going anywhere. Also schools aren’t bankrupt and teachers get paid very good. Wyoming also has an extremely low crime rate which can definitely not be said about Ogden. Moving was hands down the best thing I’ve ever done.

2five7

WKR
I'd look for something south of Provo, most of the best hunting in the state is in the central/southern half. Payson area would be awesome, close enough to provo to commute.

I thought the state vehicle was a suburban or similar with a minimum of 6 stick people on the back window.

If your planning to be in SLC in the winter don’t forget your gas mask.

Sled

WKR
I work up little cottonwood canyon so there's definitely a high percentage of subaru vehicles up here. In the valley the joke is that every family has a BMW or MAV.... Big Mormon Wagon / Mormon Assault Vehicle. The suburban and 10 passenger van fits those descriptions.

Those stick figures are a real metric of a sort around here. I've seen some real funny spoofs of them that'll make you blow your beer back out your nose as they pass you on the interstate.;)

And while we're at it, what is it with all the green jello?

OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

WKR
Thanks for all the info guys, ive been in or working for the military pretty much my whole life. I have job applications in at Hill as we as the ammunition plant in Tooely.
We have always lived in a smaller community and drove to work. So not looking at Ogden exactly just the area in general.
I know there is much better hunting in the surrounding states but like i stated above my wife has this crazy idea that i have to have a paying job wherever we move. So job first, i am just looking at the area due to its centralized location to get to several good states with a short drive for hunting.

Thanks for all the info guys, ive been in or working for the military pretty much my whole life. I have job applications in at Hill as we as the ammunition plant in Tooely.
We have always lived in a smaller community and drove to work. So not looking at Ogden exactly just the area in general.
I know there is much better hunting in the surrounding states but like i stated above my wife has this crazy idea that i have to have a paying job wherever we move. So job first, i am just looking at the area due to its centralized location to get to several good states with a short drive for hunting.
I've lived my entire life west of Ogden in the farm communities. There are a lot of nice places around and the hunting can be good if you like to bow hunt. Also, as a resident, you can apply for the CWMU tags and hunt on private ranches. Some of the ranches are a joke but some offer a great opportunity with minimal points.

Idaho has a good disabled vet program that allows you to hunt up for a good price. That opens a ton of country for low cost tags. Washington also has low cost tags for vets. And you can draw Montana every other year for general elk/deer and you can build points in Wyoming for some of their better units.

Good luck and send me a PM if you have questions.