Oklahoma Archery Antelope

With legislators like the one we have from that end of the panhandle trying to eradicate the antelope I hardly feel that we will stop catering to non rez anytime soon. Yes, catering and giving away game to non residents! We give non rez SIX deer for 300$ and I have to listen to Colorado residents gripe because they r only charging non residents 400$ for ONE deer. Oh and 35% of tags to non residents isn't acceptable to Colorado but Oklahoma has one one hundredth the amount of antelope, elk, mulies, and bear yet we in NO WAY limit non residents by % or any other way on otc or draw hunts. I for one think its a crock and im really tired of the CATERING to non residents at the expense of Oklahoma residents. There it is. Yall all come to Oklahoma and buy u some otc unlimited tags boys n girls

Over the top projection when there is only about 10k public out there, so your mad at landowners? Archery success rate is less then CO archery OTC elk. Only declining species is quail

Pronghorn Rifle tags both (LO and State) are survey driven

According to you then no residents should be able to hunt elk out there since they came from KS off the Cimarron NGL, there for they are property of KS residents..

Last edited:

swampokie

WKR
Over the top projection when there is only about 10k public out there, so your mad at landowners? Archery success rate is less then CO archery OTC elk. Only declining species is quail

Pronghorn Rifle tags both (LO and State) are survey driven

According to you then no residents should be able to hunt elk out there since they came from KS off the Cimarron NGL, there for they are property of KS residents..
Apparently u didn’t thoroughly read the post. I never once mentioned success rates or which states the animals migrated from. I simply compared the cost of hunting the same species in ok and other states. Also no limit on non Rez percentage of the draw or otc. I’m not just speaking of the panhandle but the whole state. It’s the wildlife managers and legislators I have an issue with. They set the prices and the laws regulating how tags r distributed. How is this in any way berating landowners wether they r okies or non Rez? I do know that 60% of the homes in Pagosa r owned by Texans. Should Texans not be able to buy pot in Colorado just because they’re non residents? Maybe limit the pot buying Texans to 35%? Just sayin...

I read it Just fine, your pot example makes no sense. The OTC tag ability for NR has minuscule effect due to low success rates.

This is a thread about 2 countries in Oklahoma. Only two with pronghorn seasons.
The state has 20 years worth of Pronghorn survey numbers, if you want to, go ask for them. There is no war on Pronghorns, not that it wouldn’t be justified in some cases in Dec and Jan. Only legislative mandate was putting in a elk a quota system in place, that was about 10 years to late, but welcomed non the less.

you forget for a NR to enter a draw they are essentially spending 3x the amount just that year for required license to enter. In case of pronghorns NR also have to pay 6x the tag costs, then get private landowner permission/trespass fee to hunt, doesn’t exactly put it as a premium hunt location for the price since you can get LO tags in NM, TX and CO for essentially the same cost overall or less. The NR draw for pronghorn is minuscule because amount of points most end up having when drawn. Not really cost effective

The OTC archery is happening 99.9% on private land so NR’s being there is a null point.

swampokie

WKR
Sounds like an awful place to hunt. Poor quality and low success. I wish the bidders in the rotes to the state school house land would take note of how awful it is. The bidding seems to go up and up and in some cases unbelievably high to be able to sell “trespass” fees for these Kansas elk and New Mexico antelope.

Sounds like an awful place to hunt. Poor quality and low success. I wish the bidders in the rotes to the state school house land would take note of how awful it is. The bidding seems to go up and up and in some cases unbelievably high to be able to sell “trespass” fees for these Kansas elk and New Mexico antelope.

The Projection is getting bigger, school leases out here always go up, the only thing that doesn’t follow inflation is grain prices.

I have to admit that’s pretty funny about School leases going up out here exponentially due to a 5 day Archery Pronghorn season and NR

Last edited:

chawes79

FNG
I would probably do a lot of pre scouting. Try to find their watering spots, and travel corridors. We have had good luck setting up in blind areas on their travel routes. Good luck!

elkhuntrr75

Lil-Rokslider
With legislators like the one we have from that end of the panhandle trying to eradicate the antelope I hardly feel that we will stop catering to non rez anytime soon. Yes, catering and giving away game to non residents! We give non rez SIX deer for 300$ and I have to listen to Colorado residents gripe because they r only charging non residents 400$ for ONE deer. Oh and 35% of tags to non residents isn't acceptable to Colorado but Oklahoma has one one hundredth the amount of antelope, elk, mulies, and bear yet we in NO WAY limit non residents by % or any other way on otc or draw hunts. I for one think its a crock and im really tired of the CATERING to non residents at the expense of Oklahoma residents. There it is. Yall all come to Oklahoma and buy u some otc unlimited tags boys n girls

You aren’t kidding. Idk when ODW will stop selling tags to nonresidents for peanuts. They should also raise the price to enter the draw and offer nonresidents less than 10%. That would mean that they would have to apply for hunts with more than 10 tags to have a chance. Are you listening J.D. Strong and Bill Dinkines? I can only hope that they will follow Wyomings lead. Extract the max cash with only a sliver of opportunity and leave them broke with a bad taste in their mouth (esp Texans).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You aren’t kidding. Idk when ODW will stop selling tags to nonresidents for peanuts. They should also raise the price to enter the draw and offer nonresidents less than 10%. That would mean that they would have to apply for hunts with more than 10 tags to have a chance. Are you listening J.D. Strong and Bill Dinkines? I can only hope that they will follow Wyomings lead. Extract the max cash with only a sliver of opportunity and leave them broke with a bad taste in their mouth (esp Texans).

What they should do is drop the public draw and allocate all tags to LO to a land owner drawing or even better biologist survey appointment since there us virtually zero public land. Although I'm sure Weston has better things to do though

By peanuts you mean lower it to same price as Montana and NM or make it more Then WY, CO.... It's about average across Antelope states.

swampokie

WKR
I think he’s talking about all big game in ok. Cheap elk and 300$ for six deer More than makes up for the average antelope tags. But if you want a bear wellllll that ones gona cost u!

I think he’s talking about all big game in ok. Cheap elk and 300$ for six deer More than makes up for the average antelope tags. But if you want a bear wellllll that ones gona cost u!
Yea the elk are a little different I agree it's pretty cheap, but rest are inline, I'm just glad we have a elk management plan now in panhandle, it's was getting expensive

elkhuntrr75

Lil-Rokslider
What they should do is drop the public draw and allocate all tags to LO to a land owner drawing or even better biologist survey appointment since there us virtually zero public land. Although I'm sure Weston has better things to do though

By peanuts you mean lower it to same price as Montana and NM or make it more Then WY, CO.... It's about average across Antelope states.

The public draw works just fine. There are a lot of landowners in the area that are open to letting you hunt there land with a small trespass fee. ODW should up the price of hunting licenses, app fees and tags to nonresidents with minimal opportunity to draw. Then the nonresidents can feel the same way I do when I apply in Wyoming.

The public draw works just fine. There are a lot of landowners in the area that are open to letting you hunt there land with a small trespass fee. ODW should up the price of hunting licenses, app fees and tags to nonresidents with minimal opportunity to draw. Then the nonresidents can feel the same way I do when I apply in Wyoming.

I know where it works well and where it fails. I’m a LO, that also has land in the OLAP program. The LO rifle Pronghorn program is a crop depredation program to off set crop losses(thus why leasee’s can apply not just LO’s), the rifle Public Draw system would work great for public land like the rest of the Draws in Oklahoma. In this instance I think LO should have more control including a longer season to manage herds locations as they herd up in the late fall and winter. In fact I would cut buck permits in half, moving them to more doe permits, then move all doe permits to a Nov -Feb season, to help relieve pressure on winter wheat and barely. I’m talking Rifle of course. The OTC archery tag doesn’t have a substantial harvest to weight either way, and should be kept as is. If anything this would increase OTC opportunity

Last edited:

swampokie

WKR
Yea the elk are a little different I agree it's pretty cheap, but rest are inline, I'm just glad we have a elk management plan now in panhandle, it's was getting expensive
Heck no they dont listen! Working for bill for 20 yeas and mr strong for 6 i cant recall one time that.my words of wisdom were actually processed to the point of even a raised eyebrow. As long as odwc have mr strong 💪 leading the division chiefs (puppets) it shall remain as it is. We had a lot of good employees managing the resource and they worked hard for the sportsmen and.women that they represented most of these employees have retired early or have been.fired or forcefully resigned now. Only diverse thinking yes men and women work for that ghastly brown yellow and orange upside down arrowhead now. Cleansing and rebranding a department that under.the blue shield had been bucking the.trend of declining license sales that much. of the counrty were experiencing. This.began.on strongs watch. Slowly at first but its in high gear now. Sad that very few people know this fact. I was a 20 year employee that was sent packing because i said too many things in favor of the resource and.the sportsmen and women of oklahoma. Its a.damn shame what they r doing but nothing will be done as long as people dont know whats going on and the.employees with the mission statement in mind are silenced or fired.

Heck no they dont listen! Working for bill for 20 yeas and mr strong for 6 i cant recall one time that.my words of wisdom were actually processed to the point of even a raised eyebrow. As long as odwc have mr strong 💪 leading the division chiefs (puppets) it shall remain as it is. We had a lot of good employees managing the resource and they worked hard for the sportsmen and.women that they represented most of these employees have retired early or have been.fired or forcefully resigned now. Only diverse thinking yes men and women work for that ghastly brown yellow and orange upside down arrowhead now. Cleansing and rebranding a department that under.the blue shield had been bucking the.trend of declining license sales that much. of the counrty were experiencing. This.began.on strongs watch. Slowly at first but its in high gear now. Sad that very few people know this fact. I was a 20 year employee that was sent packing because i said too many things in favor of the resource and.the sportsmen and women of oklahoma. Its a.damn shame what they r doing but nothing will be done as long as people dont know whats going on and the.employees with the mission statement in mind are silenced or fired.
I stay out of the politics, my family played in them for years. Im just glad we have options to at least some what control goat and elk populations now. The very limited LO cow voucher program wasnt cool