Old Man and Alaska Caribou

Kerrbow

Lil-Rokslider
Started looking last year at an Alaskan caribou hunt and at 72 yrs. old some questions pop up that probably don't pertain to the younger guys. My balance is not as good as it used to be so I am leery of what I hear about walking on tussocks in tundra country. I will only be able to afford a Diy type hunt so is all of caribou country this tough? I was looking at the Kotzebue area and wondering about traversing those units. I use trekking poles for my mountain hunts but have never dealt with tundra conditions. Thanks

VernAK

WKR
Kerrbow,

For caribou, you must get into an area where the caribou are migrating then find a vantage point and wait for them to come near you. If you see a group pass through a particular location, there is a good possibility that the next group will pass the same way. Be There!

I just booked my caribou hunt for next September. I'm 78.

My buddy and I did that hunt in 2017 and I was 60 and he was 68. We did fine but we didn't see any Caribou on our trip so we didn't have to do all the heavy lifting required after pulling the trigger. If you're in good shape and you just take it at your pace you should be fine. My buddy wants to go back but he wants our boys to be there this time so they can help us out. I'm looking to get back there this year but all my hunting buddies are booked out on hunts already. I'll be going back this year or next year even if I have to go by myself. Enjoy your hunt and just work at a pace your comfortable with and you'll be fine. Good luck.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

OP
Kerrbow

Kerrbow

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy and I did that hunt in 2017 and I was 60 and he was 68. We did fine but we didn't see any Caribou on our trip so we didn't have to do all the heavy lifting required after pulling the trigger. If you're in good shape and you just take it at your pace you should be fine. My buddy wants to go back but he wants our boys to be there this time so they can help us out. I'm looking to get back there this year but all my hunting buddies are booked out on hunts already. I'll be going back this year or next year even if I have to go by myself. Enjoy your hunt and just work at a pace your comfortable with and you'll be fine. Good luck.

Did you go out of Kotzebue on a drop off hunt and never saw any critters? That kind of scares me a little.

miloak

FNG
There are some options to hunt along the rivers out of Kotz where you can get on a good crossing and wait for them to come to you. Your walking would largely consist of gravel bars.

Choose your transporter wisely and make your needs crystal clear.

Take 2 trekking poles. Hell, take 3 so you have a spare.

OP
Kerrbow

Kerrbow

Lil-Rokslider
There are some options to hunt along the rivers out of Kotz where you can get on a good crossing and wait for them to come to you. Your walking would largely consist of gravel bars.

Choose your transporter wisely and make your needs crystal clear.

Take 2 trekking poles. Hell, take 3 so you have a spare.
I don't have much trouble walking long distances on most normal hunting conditions, I am concerned about people saying that tundra is like stepping from one basketball to another. That concerns me somewhat.

miloak

FNG
I don't have much trouble walking long distances on most normal hunting conditions, I am concerned about people saying that tundra is like stepping from one basketball to another. That concerns me somewhat.

It sucks at any age, especially under a pack. Just saying there may be options to avoid tussocks depending on where you're dropped. Good luck..

My buddy didn't like the walking on them at all but for some reason I didn't mind it. I didn't try to walk across the top I walked around them. They seemed to grow in rows for a few yards so I just stayed in the rows and switched directions while trying to keep the same heading. It worked for me where I was. Good luck.

AKBorn

WKR
Are you already booked in a certain area of the state? Some areas have a lot more tussocks than others. For example, there are a fair number of ridgetop hunts in the 40 mile country where you don't really have to walk through tussocks if you choose not to (although where the caribou are traveling will dictate that to a degree). If you fly out of Kotzebue or into the Brooks Range, your likelihood of having to deal with tussocks will increase. Have you chosen an area and a transporter already?

Yes we went out of Kotzebue the weather warmed up and the Caribou turned around and went back from whence they came. At least that's what we're told. Not much you can do about it when that happens so we fished and looked through my spotting scope for a lost caribou until we were picked up. I'm really looking forward to doing it again this time covered in caribou I hope.

OP
Kerrbow

Kerrbow

Lil-Rokslider
Are you already booked in a certain area of the state? Some areas have a lot more tussocks than others. For example, there are a fair number of ridgetop hunts in the 40 mile country where you don't really have to walk through tussocks if you choose not to (although where the caribou are traveling will dictate that to a degree). If you fly out of Kotzebue or into the Brooks Range, your likelihood of having to deal with tussocks will increase. Have you chosen an area and a transporter already?
I have not narrowed down an area yet or a transporter. Was leaning toward the Kotzebue area as i had been in conversation with Jared Cummings last year. At my age I might only have one shot at this and I want to give myself the best opportunity I can. Wish I had unlimited funds to go guided but live on fixed income.

Sleorna

Lil-Rokslider
Check out RC860 for 40 mile Caribou. If you're renting a vehicle, this hunt can be easy and quite crazy and crowded if Caribou are near the road. If you're doing a drop camp, that can get you away from the crowds. About 2hr drive North East of Fairbanks gets you into Caribou country. This herd is at a high so you should have good opportunity if timing is right. Hope that helps.

AKBorn

WKR
I have not narrowed down an area yet or a transporter. Was leaning toward the Kotzebue area as i had been in conversation with Jared Cummings last year. At my age I might only have one shot at this and I want to give myself the best opportunity I can. Wish I had unlimited funds to go guided but live on fixed income.
I would definitely want to fly with Golden Eagle if you hunt out of Kotzebue, they run a good outfit there. I would assume(?) that he has already booked his caribou hunts for next year, as 40 Mile has. If he hasn't booked his hunts for next year yet, find out when he takes calls and books hunters...

No need to go guided for caribou, bou hunting all depends on where the animals are moving and if they are in the area, and that can be hard to determine as they can change their mind (and direction of travel) on a whim. Hunted the 40 Mile country this year with a friend, and we saw over 150 caribou per day, while other camps were seeing far fewer animals than we were. Back in 2015, my hunt partner and I photographed 3 really nice bulls on the day we flew in, when we could not hunt. Then the weather changed, a cold front came in, the caribou changed direction, and we saw about 100 animals total in 6 hunting days, with many being cows and calves.

If I had one shot to hunt bou, going with Jared out of Kotz, or 40 Mile out of Tok (if you could secure a spot), would be the two places I would look. There is good bou hunting in the Brooks, but there also seems to be more instances of some camps seeing lots, and some camps seeing none. And, lots of tussocks to deal with on a Brooks Range bou hunt.

OP
Kerrbow

Kerrbow

Lil-Rokslider
I would definitely want to fly with Golden Eagle if you hunt out of Kotzebue, they run a good outfit there. I would assume(?) that he has already booked his caribou hunts for next year, as 40 Mile has. If he hasn't booked his hunts for next year yet, find out when he takes calls and books hunters...

No need to go guided for caribou, bou hunting all depends on where the animals are moving and if they are in the area, and that can be hard to determine as they can change their mind (and direction of travel) on a whim. Hunted the 40 Mile country this year with a friend, and we saw over 150 caribou per day, while other camps were seeing far fewer animals than we were. Back in 2015, my hunt partner and I photographed 3 really nice bulls on the day we flew in, when we could not hunt. Then the weather changed, a cold front came in, the caribou changed direction, and we saw about 100 animals total in 6 hunting days, with many being cows and calves.

If I had one shot to hunt bou, going with Jared out of Kotz, or 40 Mile out of Tok (if you could secure a spot), would be the two places I would look. There is good bou hunting in the Brooks, but there also seems to be more instances of some camps seeing lots, and some camps seeing none. And, lots of tussocks to deal with on a Brooks Range bou hunt.
Thanks this is great info for me. Since I am retired dates are flexible for me and my buddy. Hopefully Jared can squeeze us in sometime this next season. Fingers crossed.

VernAK

WKR
Kerrbow,

Being retired, you and I have an advantage as we can align our hunt dates with the odd openings in a flight service schedule as most outfitters are also moving sheep and moose hunters that are on a much different and tighter schedule.

OP
Kerrbow

Kerrbow

Lil-Rokslider
Kerrbow,

Being retired, you and I have an advantage as we can align our hunt dates with the odd openings in a flight service schedule as most outfitters are also moving sheep and moose hunters that are on a much different and tighter schedule.
You are spot on there. About one of the few good things getting old I am thinking. Makes me wish I had been born rich instead of so good looking haha. Did send off a couple of emails today awaiting replies. I will ask them to pick dates and see if I can fit one of their odd openings. Hoping something works out.

Werty

WKR
If mobility is an issue, and if you can. Give yourself more time out there. Plan a two hunt, you can always fly back sooner.

OP
Kerrbow

Kerrbow

Lil-Rokslider
If mobility is an issue, and if you can. Give yourself more time out there. Plan a two hunt, you can always fly back sooner.
I am figuring 10-12 hunting days as a minimum for sure.