Once again a “Influencer” is caught poaching on several hunts (Alpinecarnivore)

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Really the only recourse is if the violator is being sponsored, ii to write the sponsor and let them know how you feel about poaching. It may feel like you're wasting your time, but if enough hunters write—it will have an impact; if no one writes......................

I find the lack of accountability amongst the industry interesting. It makes you wonder if the reason no one seems to want to call anybody out about poaching is because it is so rampant that an influencer can’t risk getting on a high horse because the odds of they themselves getting knocked off of it are too high.

That's what I'm wondering too. It's very concerning to see the usual silence after one of their "peers" is caught poaching, no matter how big or small the offence is. I'm not expecting some grand bashing sessions from the industry, however, you would think they would take these opportunities to comment against poaching.

TheTone

WKR
Really the only recourse is if the violator is being sponsored, ii to write the sponsor and let them know how you feel about poaching. It may feel like you're wasting your time, but if enough hunters write—it will have an impact; if no one writes......................
Based on my experience doing that expect to hear nothing back and expect nothing to change. I reached out to pope and young about a couple of partnerships they have with convicted poachers and was beyond disappointed in them. Had considered becoming a member and submitting a couple animals but decided to keep my money

These companies like being an echo chamber of yes men and often those in charge of sponsorships and communications seem more interested in developing some type of influencer friendship and network than doing what’s right

jedi7

FNG
Writing to the sponsor isn't a bad idea. I've done away with most social media and don't view many of the influencers anymore but I remember when I had instagram there was a guy in SoCal that would post videos all the time of him shooting 5-6 pintail a day and going way over the 7 bird limit on solo hunts. Wish I could remember the name but if anyone searched for the #solohuntmadness. Heck for all I know he could have had others shooting with him and was just posting it that way for attention but still not a good look

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor

I wrote to every sponsor Muleyfreak had on his first 2 convictions and nothing happened.

I want to believe you're right but history has shown me otherwise.

That’s what these small fines are teaching everyone
There’s a case in AK where two guys got busted for hunting and shooting a moose out of season. They were caught 3 months after the fact (no self reporting as far as I know). One has been making the podcast rounds and growing his social media and buddying up to that crowd. The hunting partner (shooter) pleaded guilty to two minor violations including Hunting out of Season and Over Bag Limit as well as Illegal Transport and got ~$500 in fines. The other, who is a pilot for an outfitter and was reportedly using at least one company plane several days after season closed, still hasn’t had his date. I’m assuming the punishment will be similar. I doubt any guns or planes will be confiscated and everyone will be hunting next year. Hell, the pilot will probably be back with the outfitter flying fish and game surveys again next year.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah anyone thinking that poaching is a thing of the past is sadly living in a dream world. The guy “ feeding his family” is a thing of the past, the guy feeding his ego is the motivation now :(

One of the best things Montana did was pass a felony wildlife statute. It took several legislative sessions to get it done, but now very serious cases can receive very serious penalties.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah anyone thinking that poaching is a thing of the past is sadly living in a dream world. The guy “ feeding his family” is a thing of the past, the guy feeding his ego is the motivation now :(

One of the best things Montana did was pass a felony wildlife statute. It took several legislative sessions to get it done, but now very serious cases can receive very serious penalties.

Some of the stiffest non-violent Montana sentences I’ve seen were on wildlife cases.

Poach a trophy ram in Montana and see what happens…

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think at one point in the mid to late 90’s we had three or four folks in the Deerlodge State Prison.

“What are you in for?”
“Armed robbery”
“How about you?”
“Poached a few trophy elk”
“WTF?”
:ROFLMAO:

WCB

WKR
Influencer don't give a rip if someone in their industry poaches...They all hold each others' pockets. Same reason in general you never see one of their shows dedicated to conservation or education....THEY DON"T CARE. Vast majority are like "gun writers" absolute bottom of the barrel trash.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Influencer don't give a rip if someone in their industry poaches...They all hold each others' pockets. Same reason in general you never see one of their shows dedicated to conservation or education....THEY DON"T CARE. Vast majority are like "gun writers" absolute bottom of the barrel trash.

What exactly is a gun writer?

Asking for a friend…

180ls1

WKR

On the other side of the token, "we" don't care either. If there truly was a market for conservation and education there would be a product.

crich

WKR
He released a big apology video this morning on instagram. Saying how he needs to read the regs more often

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"The convictions included hunting without a licence, hunting in a closed season, unlawful possession of wildlife, unlawful export of wildlife, providing false information, as well as abusing licence requirements concerning the killing of bighorn sheep, antlered moose and antlered elk within a protected wilderness area."

What a turd... theres a lot more there than not reading a reg.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not reading the regs is when you ding three roosters as that is the way it over the entire state, except one area- the area you're hunting where you can only harvest two.

Hunting w/o a license, out of season, providing false information doesn't fall under "I should have read the regulations more carefully"

Winnie

Lil-Rokslider
Randy Newberg has many episodes on conservation and education. He is one who cares. But he has said repeatedly that an elk video will outperform a conservation video by a wide margin.

I wonder if Matt Rinella is developing a facial twitch after reading about this.