One Set of Glass - No Spotter

Rick M.

WKR
Hello all.

I'm going to be purchasing some glass in the very near future. I will be hunting in Idaho and doing archery hunts only. I plan to hunt both elk and mule deer (possibly pronghorn if I'm able to draw). Due to initial costs, I will only be running a single pair of binos without a spotter for the first couple of seasons. I will be getting a tripod, so whichever binos I end up with will be used off hand as well as from the tripod when glassing. Hunting here could vary from high country desert to thick timber. I know that the perfect solution doesn't exist, and that I'm not trying to start an 8x vs 10x vs 12x type of thread, but given my specific situation, what you you recommend as far as power and objective?

I have several ideas in mind, currently between the following glass:
1) Meopta Meostar B1 10x42 HD
2) Meopta Meostar B1 12x50 HD
3) Used Swaro SLC 8x42
4) Cabelas Euro 8x32 HD (Meostar)

I'm also open to any other suggestions outside of the above, but this is just where my research has taken me up to this point. I appreciate any feedback/help I can get.

grfox92

WKR
Hello all.

I'm going to be purchasing some glass in the very near future. I will be hunting in Idaho and doing archery hunts only. I plan to hunt both elk and mule deer (possibly pronghorn if I'm able to draw). Due to initial costs, I will only be running a single pair of binos without a spotter for the first couple of seasons. I will be getting a tripod, so whichever binos I end up with will be used off hand as well as from the tripod when glassing. Hunting here could vary from high country desert to thick timber. I know that the perfect solution doesn't exist, and that I'm not trying to start an 8x vs 10x vs 12x type of thread, but given my specific situation, what you you recommend as far as power and objective?

I have several ideas in mind, currently between the following glass:
1) Meopta Meostar B1 10x42 HD
2) Meopta Meostar B1 12x50 HD
3) Used Swaro SLC 8x42
4) Cabelas Euro 8x32 HD (Meostar)

I'm also open to any other suggestions outside of the above, but this is just where my research has taken me up to this point. I appreciate any feedback/help I can get.
Maven.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

codym

WKR
I'm trying something similar to this with 12x50 el's. So far so good. Used them on a friends rifle elk hunt a mix of open country, burns and thick timber. Freehand and off a tripod, no problem. We will see how they do on my rifle coues hunt in Dec. So far I think the high end 12's are a great way to go.

OP
Rick M.

Rick M.

WKR
I'm trying something similar to this with 12x50 el's. So far so good. Used them on a friends rifle elk hunt a mix of open country, burns and thick timber. Freehand and off a tripod, no problem. We will see how they do on my rifle coues hunt in Dec. So far I think the high end 12's are a great way to go.

It's great to read some real world experience. Honestly, I'm leaning towards the Meostar B1 12x50 HD. I was just worried about the FOV for stalking through timber. Do you ever find yourself wishing you had lower power? I think I may try the 12's to start. Seems like a great middle-ground for doing everything well.

It's great to read some real world experience. Honestly, I'm leaning towards the Meostar B1 12x50 HD. I was just worried about the FOV for stalking through timber. Do you ever find yourself wishing you had lower power? I think I may try the 12's to start. Seems like a great middle-ground for doing everything well.

If you’re leaning toward 12s but are worried about FOV and too much power, then the Maven B2 11x45s would be a great choice. They have a significantly higher FOV than the Meostar 12x50s and are a little easier to handhold. That being said, the 12x50 Meostars are a great choice if you don’t mind the ergonomics.

OP
Rick M.

Rick M.

WKR
If you’re leaning toward 12s but are worried about FOV and too much power, then the Maven B2 11x45s would be a great choice. They have a significantly higher FOV than the Meostar 12x50s and are a little easier to handhold. That being said, the 12x50 Meostars are a great choice if you don’t mind the ergonomics.

I keep reading about the Mavens. I may have to get my hands on a pair. Are they direct to consumer? How do they compare to the Meostar/Swaros?

I keep reading about the Mavens. I may have to get my hands on a pair. Are they direct to consumer? How do they compare to the Meostar/Swaros?

Yes, they are direct to consumer. And they offer a demo program where you can try them out for 2 weeks and get your money back when you’re done. They’re a well thought of binocular for sure, but so are the Meostar and Swaros. The ergonomics are vastly different between the three brands so that may need to factor into your decision.

If you haven’t seen the thread below, it’ll give you a good idea of what a lot of people think.

The 'BEST' Binoculars

All I'll say is get whichever will still make sense to have when you expand your optics. Buy top quality gear, slowly, that will last a lifetime. I wish I started doing that long ago.

Based on your intended use and the binos you are already considering I'd buy:
1. Swarovski SLC 10x42
2. Maven B2 11x45

In that order with a decent gap between. My $.02. The SLC 10s are hard to beat if you can only have one optic and have a tripod. That's what I've been running for several years now.

WRO

WKR
More than you'd like to spend i know, but i run the 12x50 els and they're perfect imho.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
...I will only be running a single pair of binos without a spotter for the first couple of seasons. I will be getting a tripod, so whichever binos I end up with will be used off hand as well as from the tripod when glassing...

Based on your needs, I'd definitely recommend you borrow a 12x before going that route to see if you have the ability to off hand them in a steady manner as many people will struggle with holding steady on anything above a 10x without a tripod. If you can, then you're good, but if not then a 10x42 will serve your needs well, even for extended tripod viewing.

codym

WKR

I haven't, the 12x50 El have so much pop its really easy to pick out animals in the timber. Where I hunt for elk is a mix of everything so if I went with 8's for FOV in the timber, I would be wishing for the extra power in the open country. Everything is a trade off I guess, but for where I live and what I do they have been a great fit.

Shraggs

WKR
Seems a tall order one glass for the variety you seek. 12’s to find game but close checks stalking or in the timber warrant the smaller glass.

I have both the cabelas euro hd / meopta and the swar el 12x50. I’ve logged many hours comparing them. Yes the Elmo’s better but the meopta is so close for half the money literally. It was until 800 yards reading “case international “ that center resolution was 1% better in the el. With my perscription I needed more eye relief that only the swar offers. I can hand hold either for a couple of minutes before resting. Love them both, one will be sold.

The 8x32 is a gem also and compares favorably to my swar 8x30 slc neu. Either are what I like in the timber and on the move.

You need both it seems based on what your unique situation.

Might I suggest something, get the 12 meopta - awesome glass that will see lifetime use finding game at distance. Also buy the leupold Yosemite 6x30 (not the 8x or 10x - not bright enough) for like $120 bucks. I know it sounds crazy but in daylight for on the go and timber and game checks staking for archery they perform well, way better than their price point. I kinda stumbled onto them reading bird forums. I use them if in timber archery with no chance of seeing a park.

Later upgrade those when you have the money and give those to your kid

John

IdahoHntr

WKR
I run 12s and have never wished I went with anything less! Spotted my bull this year at 2-3 miles with them. I then put a stalk on him and used the 12s to spot his antler in the timber at about 80 yards as I was sneaking in. Never felt like I had too much bino, but all my buddies with 10s (Leicas and Vortex Razors) couldn't tell for sure it was an elk bedded down under that dead tree until they looked through my binos on the tripod. Sometimes that extra magnification is a real help. I honestly think I spot more game with 12s than I ever did with 10s, but everybody is different and it is whatever works best for you. The 12s work perfect for me though.

Which 12s are you running?
I run 12s and have never wished I went with anything less! Spotted my bull this year at 2-3 miles with them. I then put a stalk on him and used the 12s to spot his antler in the timber at about 80 yards as I was sneaking in. Never felt like I had too much bino, but all my buddies with 10s (Leicas and Vortex Razors) couldn't tell for sure it was an elk bedded down under that dead tree until they looked through my binos on the tripod. Sometimes that extra magnification is a real help. I honestly think I spot more game with 12s than I ever did with 10s, but everybody is different and it is whatever works best for you. The 12s work perfect for me though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

CAhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I purchased the Swaro 12x50 EL’s this year and absolutely love them for glassing across drainages. For glassing off a tripod or from a stationary position they are awesome. But, for stalking through timber they are not ideal or necessary. I still think 10x42’s are the best all around. This year archery hunting elk in Idaho I went with my 10X’s.

thewileyone

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer Leica Ultravid 12x.. amazingly clear and will out perform all other 12x glass. My second would be the Meopta Meostar...