Oneida ?

Wojo14

WKR
Looking to get one and shoot barebow with fingers. I am a trad guy looking to play with some tech.
Anyone have them?
Thoughts?

Zac

WKR
Snyder is constantly making fun of them. I shot one years ago, sounded like a bomb going off.

Ian Ketterman

Lil-Rokslider
I have had 4 of them, still own 3. They sound like a bomb when you treat them like a typical compound, which they are not. You can get an Aeroforce or Tomkat for a few hundred bucks and shoot the absolute shit out of them. I over tinker with mine and constantly have issues, but if you set one up and leave it you should be just fine. PM me if you have any questions.

Beendare

WKR
I used to shoot for Oneida back in the day......not just me but all of the sponsored shooters had problems keeping them together for a whole tourney....but of course being "Pro staff" we talked them up like they were the best thing since sliced bread......(sigh)

Now, they are a much better constructed bow......completely different manufacture and built better. You shouldn't run a light arrow in them- which is what caused all of the problems back in the day. Funny, my other local Oneida pro staff buddy broke 6 Screaming Eagle risers one year......how does anyone do that?

They are one of the nicest drawing bows...and great for bow fishing. Thats really where they have a cult following.

They ARE loud. I can't even tell you how many animals jumped the string on me with those Oneidas. Those taught me the importance of a quiet bow on the shot.

_______

Ian Ketterman

Lil-Rokslider
I used to shoot for Oneida back in the day......not just me but all of the sponsored shooters had problems keeping them together for a whole tourney....but of course being "Pro staff" we talked them up like they were the best thing since sliced bread......(sigh)

Now, they are a much better constructed bow......completely different manufacture and built better. You shouldn't run a light arrow in them- which is what caused all of the problems back in the day. Funny, my other local Oneida pro staff buddy broke 6 Screaming Eagle risers one year......how does anyone do that?

They are one of the nicest drawing bows...and great for bow fishing. Thats really where they have a cult following.

They ARE loud. I can't even tell you how many animals jumped the string on me with those Oneidas. Those taught me the importance of a quiet bow on the shot.

_______

Yeah I've broken a few power cables on my black eagle and stealth running 450g arrows at 75#. Back in the day running 300g arrows with an overdraw and 80# I bet they were loud as absolute sin and basically dry firing every shot.

I've had my dads Aeroforce X80 for a few years and he bought it new in 96' and it's never had an issue. I put a 30'' stabilizer on the front and shoot a thumb release off the string at 60# with some 2214's and 5'' feathers for funsies. It is an absolute shooter. Only bow I have not had issues with tinkering with it or my other X80. My black eagle and stealth went through timing cables and power cables like mofo's, mostly from my tinkering and experimenting. Wasn't meant to be 28'' and 99% letoff at 75#, but man is it fun.

pcf

FNG
Long ago I shot an Oneida Aeroforce. I truly wanted to like it, but I had a lot of trouble keeping it tuned. Timing cable kept slipping along with other issues. Felt like I needed to wear ear protection when shooting. I still have that bow somewhere. I did shoot it barebow with fingers.

OP
Wojo14

Wojo14

WKR
I hear a ton of mixed opinions of them. Some guys absolute love them. I am a heavy arrow guy. Typically shoot 12-14gpp, so, that should not be an issue.

Is there any compounds then that are recommend to shoot extinctive and with fingers? Longer axel to axel I assume...

~Wojo

Genograusam

Lil-Rokslider
There are a lot of lever bow shooters out there.

I'd venture to say that most are from the bowfishing community like myself.

I own two Oneida Ospreys, a GNAT from the Greenwells in Kentucky and should have my American Eagle sometime this summer from Joe up in Maine.

Below are a few links that people of the lever bow community follow. The lever bow forum isn't very active, but the Facebook groups are quite active and the admins on Lever Lovers are great folks.

Hope this helps.

Beendare

WKR
You won’t find a bow that draws better than an Oneida.

They are incredibly good bow fishing rigs as the heavy arrow puts less stress on the system.

BBob

WKR
This brings up old memories. In my early days of archery the two main bows in my area were the Oneida and PSE. The PSE guys referred to the Oneida guys as "The Chicken Chokers" and of course the Oneida shooters had plenty of names for PSE all of which were pretty much true at the time. Fun times!

gelton

WKR
This brings up old memories. In my early days of archery the two main bows in my area were the Oneida and PSE. The PSE guys referred to the Oneida guys as "The Chicken Chokers" and of course the Oneida shooters had plenty of names for PSE all of which were pretty much true at the time. Fun times!
Same here. Oneidas were a lot cooler when Uncle Ted shot em'

Same here. Oneidas were a lot cooler when Uncle Ted shot em'

It was better when the flagship bow was the fastest compound you could buy and still priced competitively. Now you pay $1,200 for the slowest compound available that comes with mostly plastic parts and a cam/timing system from the 90's. Innovation has been dead since Johnny Morris bought the company and decided people wanted a $400 Tim Wells paint job more than they wanted innovation or performance.